or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Wedding Attire: Suiting Up
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wedding Attire: Suiting Up

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
I am by no means a style guy in the manner that many of you are, but I do take it a bit more seriously that most of my compatriots.

I am getting married in May in the evening.

Were I to have my druthers, it would have been a morning wedding so I could wear morning attire but as things are, that isn't in the cars.

Neither my FI nor I particularly care for Tuxedos and with her dress leaning towards the less formal side of things (haven't seen it, her description) I was thinking about wearing a 3-piece suit. I figured at least this way I'd end up with a great suit when I'm done too.

The issue comes with my groomsmen. Renting suits is pretty much out since that doesn't seem to be an option. I'm a bit learly of asking them all to join in with me and buy suits. I assume it would look totally weird if I was in a suit, and they were in "suit-ish" tuxedos?

Just looking for suggestions as I troll the internet trying to learn about formal wear.

Thanks
post #2 of 25
If it really is casual you could ask your bride if she's ok with them wearing a blazer of some sort. Are you still wearing black?
post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
I don't think its blazer non formal. Its full length, just not an ultra formal ball gown or anything.

I hadn't picked a color, but was thinking that it would be dark. I guess if they're going to wear blak it would make sense that I would too, guess that is what I was asking.
post #4 of 25
Definitely ixnay on you in a suit and the groomsmen in a tux. Go for the three-piece if you are doing a suit, so it looks like something more special than what a typical banker would wear on the average Tuesday...choose a smart color (solid navy, charcoal gray) and you will get quite a bit of use out of it. This is the day to wear a French cuff shirt with a spread collar and a thick/ wide Windsor knot-this will give you an additional air of aristocracy that is appropriate for a wedding day If you do some smart hunting you might be able to get matching suits for the groomsmen that will be a lot less than what a bridesmaid's dress would cost (you might be able to talk a shop into a good discount if you buy several at once), and unlike one of those taffeta nightmares, the guys will probably get some additional use out of a decent suit. Soem formalwear shops do rent business suits, BTW. Good luck. ETA: If it's a daytime wedding, don't go with black suits...for anyone.
post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post
Definitely ixnay on you in a suit and the groomsmen in a tux.

Go for the three-piece if you are doing a suit, so it looks like something more special than what a typical banker would wear on the average Tuesday...choose a smart color (solid navy, charcoal gray) and you will get quite a bit of use out of it. This is the day to wear a French cuff shirt with a spread collar and a thick/ wide Windsor knot-this will give you an additional air of aristocracy that is appropriate for a wedding day

If you do some smart hunting you might be able to get matching suits for the groomsmen that will be a lot less than what a bridesmaid's dress would cost (you might be able to talk a shop into a good discount if you buy several at once), and unlike one of those taffeta nightmares, the guys will probably get some additional use out of a decent suit. Soem formalwear shops do rent business suits, BTW.

Good luck.


ETA: If it's a daytime wedding, don't go with black suits...for anyone.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking (re tux).

Its a 6pm wedding.

I guess the question is if I want the guys to look like marionettes dressed alike next to me wearing the same exact suit, or say "show up in a 3-button, single breasted notch'd suit, white shirt and tie" or whatever it may be and let them pick their own.
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterf View Post
Thanks, that is what I was thinking (re tux).

Its a 6pm wedding.

I guess the question is if I want the guys to look like marionettes dressed alike next to me wearing the same exact suit, or say "show up in a 3-button, single breasted notch'd suit, white shirt and tie" or whatever it may be and let them pick their own.


Depends on your lovely bride and her (hopefully) lovely mother. Do they want perfect unison for the photographs (will the bridesmaids all be matching) or will just having them all look nice and presentable be sufficient? You might get lucky and all of them will have a solid gray or blue suit.

Your suit should be different from theirs, whatever the case...all eyes will be on you for many, many hours and there will be hundreds of pictures taken-keep that in mind when dressing yourself.


You might discover that it will just be easier for all involved to just go with tuxedos all around. Sorry, had to put that out there.
post #7 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post
Depends on your lovely bride and her (hopefully) lovely mother. Do they want perfect unison for the photographs (will the bridesmaids all be matching) or will just having them all look nice and presentable be sufficient? You might get lucky and all of them will have a solid gray or blue suit.

Your suit should be different from theirs, whatever the case...all eyes will be on you for many, many hours and there will be hundreds of pictures taken-keep that in mind when dressing yourself.

I agree, if they don't match, the photos will likely look a bit off.

Quote:
You might discover that it will just be easier for all involved to just go with tuxedos all around. Sorry, had to put that out there.

Yea, it is what I'm trying to avoid... oh well. Might not be any way around doing that or asking people to pony up for new suits.
post #8 of 25
What is it about a tuxedo that is scaring you off? There are some rental places that do a good job...just stay away from "fashion" suits and you may be OK.
post #9 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post
What is it about a tuxedo that is scaring you off? There are some rental places that do a good job...just stay away from "fashion" suits and you may be OK.

Just trying to do something that is different, but classy (orange tuxedos meet the different criteria, but fall a bit short in the class department).
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterf View Post
Just trying to do something that is different, but classy (orange tuxedos meet the different criteria, but fall a bit short in the class department).


Nowadays, wearing a classic black peak lapel tux with a black bow tie will be different, but classy...instead of wearing a confetti vest and tutti-frutti long tie.

Can I ask where the wedding will be held...sometimes that can dictate appropriateness of attire as well...White Tie and Tails can seem out of place in a small room at a country club, just as a simple business suit might not cut it at a cathedral...
post #11 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post
Nowadays, wearing a classic black peak lapel tux with a black bow tie will be different, but classy...instead of wearing a confetti vest and tutti-frutti long tie.

Can I ask where the wedding will be held...sometimes that can dictate appropriateness of attire as well...White Tie and Tails can seem out of place in a small room at a country club, just as a simple business suit might not cut it at a cathedral...

True, the last thing I was is different for the sake of being different.

The wedding will be in May at a site that I guess I would best describe as a gallery in a converted industrial space? Sounds a bit harsher than it is in reality I would say.

Here are some photos from an event there (quickest I could find via google) http://www.stylemepretty.com/2009/05...w-arts-center/ it doesn't show the large gallery space which has several large permanent pieces of art on display. Here are some more http://www.altmixphotography.com/tag...enter-wedding/
post #12 of 25
Well, looks like you need to be slick in that space...whether suit or tux. If you do the suit, be sure to do a solid tie with it. Looks very cool...better than a VFW any day...
post #13 of 25
Just avoid looking like Paul Rudd's groomsmen.

post #14 of 25
It looks tacky to me when the groomsmen are all wearing the same thing. Coordination, however, I understand. They must all own a charcoal suit, right? Black is probably close enough.
post #15 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComboOrgan View Post
It looks tacky to me when the groomsmen are all wearing the same thing.
Coordination, however, I understand. They must all own a charcoal suit, right? Black is probably close enough.

We had this discussion about bridesmaids. Matching for matching sake doesn't always work.

I'll have 6 groomsmen. the thing I worry about is with the variety of guys in my entourage, if left to their own merits they might be a bit too much variation...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Wedding Attire: Suiting Up