or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Number one reason for men and not dressing to their potential
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Number one reason for men and not dressing to their potential - Page 4

post #46 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
SF member iLookok sets the bar for mensimageconsulting, and also brings to bear the best technology:

Watching this without sound I find it strangely captivating.
post #47 of 64
One would hope not. It could work the other way around - "This is all I got for my money?!" The psychology of luxury pricing probably applies more to conspicuous consumption than to a private experience. Of course $20 per hour for in-person consulting would be ridiculous.
post #48 of 64
The OP should also learn the difference between "there" and "their." If you don't have that one figured out, you're hardly qualified to provide advice to anyone.
post #49 of 64
I say it's overconfidence. Too many think they can do it themselves (i.e. not look for any help or advice, no tailoring), inflating their own image against other people, and settling for lesser crap to satisfy immediate needs. Some SF posters do the same, showing pics of their fit on a suit or blazer, getting responses about how it doesnt fit right, and still saying oh well, I still look better then 90% of the population just because I got a blazer on instead of a tshirt and sweatpants.
post #50 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohomo View Post
I say it's overconfidence. Too many think they can do it themselves (i.e. not look for any help or advice, no tailoring), inflating their own image against other people, and settling for lesser crap to satisfy immediate needs.
Some SF posters do the same, showing pics of their fit on a suit or blazer, getting responses about how it doesnt fit right, and still saying oh well, I still look better then 90% of the population just because I got a blazer on instead of a tshirt and sweatpants.

The great unknown is how many guys are like that versus those who don't think they look good but hardly care.
post #51 of 64
There are also straight men.
post #52 of 64
I would say fear. Fear of getting it "wrong".
post #53 of 64
They fear standing out and being made fun of by their peers. In particular, they fear being called gay. This would apply mostly to the young and single.
post #54 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv3 View Post
They fear standing out and being made fun of by their peers. In particular, they fear being called gay.

This would apply mostly to the young and single.

In other words, gay men still in the closet.
post #55 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbowtie View Post
In other words, gay men still in the closet.

You've almost got it...the gays are free. The straight men are in the closet now.
post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv3 View Post
They fear standing out and being made fun of by their peers. In particular, they fear being called gay.

This would apply mostly to the young and single.

Yes, and more to the USA than in many European nations. It would make a good, though possibly offensive, poll - if anyone wants to try it now.
post #57 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post
Yes, and more to the USA than in many European nations. It would make a good, though possibly offensive, poll - if anyone wants to try it now.

You have a thick skin, you should make that poll.
post #58 of 64
Most men do not care and many don't have the time to care. Caring about one's appearance and developing a style takes time and effort. And having worked with individuals over the years, minimal effort can be one of the most painful and traumatic experiences of their lives. That being said developing awareness and the aesthetic appreciation for one's appearance is not something that can be gained in an instant.
post #59 of 64
Lack of time - one of the factors that few regulars on this forum understand.

Quote:
And having worked with individuals over the years
? Anyway, it is possible to quickly move someone from a lack of style to above-average style and the means to do it himself from then on. It's called image consulting Of course most men probably haven't heard of it and likely would associate it with the unpleasant experiences seen on makeover shows. There definitely can be trauma, if someone is rudely told that his appearance is a disaster.
post #60 of 64
So... how do you guys explain Arbiter Elegantiarums who have the motivation, the money, the time and a competent tailor, but who dress like this?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Number one reason for men and not dressing to their potential