or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Midnight Blue Business Suit - Inappropriate?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Midnight Blue Business Suit - Inappropriate?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Should one embrace or dismiss a mignight blue suit as part of one's weekly rotation at the office? My usual go-to sources seem to disagree. Will Boehlke includes the midnight blue as one of six suits in his ideal basic (starter) wardrobe. Manton, on the other hand, tells Will that "A midnight blue lounge suit is elegant, but somewhat impractical -- not really right for business day wear." I would like to include the midnight blue because it allows one to kill two birds with one stone in that one gets a suit for office wear and an ideal suit for the night clubs. But is Manton right ... are we letting our wishes getting ahead of our good sense? What do you guys think?
post #2 of 27
There's nothing inappropriate about midnight blue so long as your complexion is compatible. But remember there are midnights and midnights. I have a Lesser midnight blue dinner jacket that is virtually indistinguishable from black, and I wouldn't have that cloth made into a lounge suit.

HRH Prince Charles on the other hand has a midnight dinner jacket that looks just a bit darker than navy in the sunlight. It would be fine as a lounge.
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn View Post
Should one embrace or dismiss a mignight blue suit as part of one's weekly rotation at the office? My usual go-to sources seem to disagree. Will Boehlke includes the midnight blue as one of six suits in his ideal basic (starter) wardrobe. Manton, on the other hand, tells Will that "A midnight blue lounge suit is elegant, but somewhat impractical -- not really right for business day wear." I would like to include the midnight blue because it allows one to kill two birds with one stone in that one gets a suit for office wear and an ideal suit for the night clubs. But is Manton right ... are we letting or wishes getting ahead of our good sense? What do you guys think?
Midnight blue is perfectly alright for both a work suit and a casual one, especially with stripes.
post #4 of 27
Yes

Perfectly acceptable.
post #5 of 27
It's a staple. I'd make it the first or second suit in my wardrobe. If it makes sense to dintinguish a colour range within what's called midnight blue I'd go to the lighter end. Some are so dark I can't distinuish them from black except in bright sun. I'd avoid one where the shade is more emphatic in the midnight than in the blue.
post #6 of 27
Well just don't go pairing a solid midnight with a white shirt, that's not business attire in the least. Even a solid midnight with a striped / checked shirt or a blue shirt works fine, IMHO.
post #7 of 27
I disagree. The hallmark of midnight blue is that it is "blacker than black." That makes it, in my mind, unacceptable for anything other than a DJ.

But very dark navy is a different story. I think that solid, very dark navy is a bit too formal for business but is excellent in a social setting. But a very dark navy w/pinstripes is one of the best business suits going.

For me, the rule is that very dark navy is too dark for business if there is any difficulty in telling it apart from the color of your (black) shoes.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
I disagree. The hallmark of midnight blue is that it is "blacker than black." That makes it, in my mind, unacceptable for anything other than a DJ.

But very dark navy is a different story. I think that solid, very dark navy is a bit too formal for business but is excellent in a social setting. But a very dark navy w/pinstripes is one of the best business suits going.

For me, the rule is that very dark navy is too dark for business if there is any difficulty in telling it apart from the color of your (black) shoes.

you're on drugs
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
There's nothing inappropriate about midnight blue so long as your complexion is compatible. But remember there are midnights and midnights. I have a Lesser midnight blue dinner jacket that is virtually indistinguishable from black, and I wouldn't have that cloth made into a lounge suit.

HRH Prince Charles on the other hand has a midnight dinner jacket that looks just a bit darker than navy in the sunlight. It would be fine as a lounge.

what would be the wrong complexion?
post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
If you are a "winter" in the old Color Me Beautiful lexicon - or a "clear" in the new iteration of the same - then you are a guy who'll look great in high-contrast color combos. Dark hair and swarthy, olive-toned skin .... or dark hair with very light skin. Hell, black hair with whatever skin will probably do it. If you are an African-American, then the darker your skin, the better high-contrast combos will look on you. So that's what Will is saying. Midnight blue is high-contrast so be careful. But ... Michael Alden (he of the London Lounge) would disagree. He argues that it's less the suit that one must be conscious of than it is the shirt-tie combo. Hence, he has argued that anyone can where pretty much any colored suit fabric as long as the shirt-tie combo is consistent with your coloring.
post #11 of 27
Not at all. I cant imagine this not being in every mans wardrobe, regardless of your complexion!
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post
you're on drugs

post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
I disagree. The hallmark of midnight blue is that it is "blacker than black." That makes it, in my mind, unacceptable for anything other than a DJ.

Ahem, it's blacker than black at night. Under artificial light, which is what makes a midnight blue lounge suit good for clubbing. This thread is about day wear.
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Ahem, it's blacker than black at night. Under artificial light, which is what makes a midnight blue lounge suit good for clubbing. This thread is about day wear.

??

Quote:
There's nothing inappropriate about midnight blue so long as your complexion is compatible. But remember there are midnights and midnights. I have a Lesser midnight blue dinner jacket that is virtually indistinguishable from black, and I wouldn't have that cloth made into a lounge suit.

Isn't this essentially in accordance with my rule of thumb?

Quote:
For me, the rule is that very dark navy is too dark for business if there is any difficulty in telling it apart from the color of your (black) shoes.

Second, I find the concept of "daywear," at least in so far as considering lighting goes, is not very useful to me. "Day" typically means "business" as I spend very little time flaneuring about or sitting in outdoor cafes. I don't spend much time doing business in parks, either. In most offices and conference rooms, the lighting is pretty much the same whether it is noon or midnight.
post #15 of 27
Thread Starter 
OK, unless Manton's going to jump in here, the balance of the argument is with those who give the midnight blue a thumbs up for business wear. Now ... what about a 30% mohair fabric to give it a little sheen for the night club. Is that a sartorial bridge too far? Or is the suit still wearable for business?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Midnight Blue Business Suit - Inappropriate?