or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Unruly hair
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unruly hair

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I had lost a good amount of hair 6 months ago due to improper maintenance/stress.

After using some better quality shampoo/conditioner products and Rogaine, most of it grew back.

My hair is not as straight as it use to be. It is very wavy and dry. It looks great when I comb it out of the shower; as the day goes by, the hair loses its shape and does not have very much luster.

Any recommendations for products? The area I will be living in is about 90 degrees all year around, so I need something that can stand up to that.

I was looking at American Crew pomade; any other recs? I don't want to drop $20.00 on a product that doesn't work.
post #2 of 15
Don't buy that pomade. I have some and it didn't do much for me. Definitely not worth the $17 or whatever.

Sorry that I can't give any positive recs. Someone might be able to help you though.
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom
I had lost a good amount of hair 6 months ago due to improper maintenance/stress. After using some better quality shampoo/conditioner products and Rogaine, most of it grew back. My hair is not as straight as it use to be. It is very wavy and dry. It looks great when I comb it out of the shower; as the day goes by, the hair loses its shape and does not have very much luster. Any recommendations for products? The area I will be living in is about 90 degrees all year around, so I need something that can stand up to that. I was looking at American Crew pomade; any other recs? I don't want to drop $20.00 on a product that doesn't work.
Could you please give us a little more information on what exact effect you'd like ? Do you want it to look straightened out? Or just tamed? P.s. I think I have used that pomade also but not for straightening, just for messing my hair out a bit. It is ok but I am not a fan of pomades, I'd rather go with products that produce more natural-looking effects.
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Could you please give us a little more information on what exact effect you'd like ? Do you want it to look straightened out? Or just tamed?
Something that doesn't make my hair look so frizzy and make my hair look more straight. My friends comment my hair looks like Kramer's from Seinfeld I have a very conservative haircut, straight part on the left and then combed straight across to the opposite side.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom
Something that doesn't make my hair look so frizzy and make my hair look more straight.
Bumble & Bumble's Defrizz product is great for defrizzing your hair in humidity. It's expensive though. Use it along with a light wax.
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
What type of light wax would you recommend?

BTW, here is a best selling list of pomades/waxes from Amazon if that helps
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom
Something that doesn't make my hair look so frizzy and make my hair look more straight. My friends comment my hair looks like Kramer's from Seinfeld

I have a very conservative haircut, straight part on the left and then combed straight across to the opposite side.

One idea would be for products designed to work with what is often termed as "ethnic" hair here in the USA; some hair relaxers/detanglers (is that the term? don't remember) that are used to get black persons' hair straighter could help you a lot. That hair type tends to be coarser and thicker which makes it very difficult to manage. On the other hand, my hair is the typical coarse mediterrannean wavy type (even if it is a little lighter than say my brother's or my dad's) and it is a complete dog of the female persuasion to keep under control. So I don't anymore . You could take the sledgehammer approach and try to keep it down using pomades, waxes et.c. but through the day you WILL find it usually dries out and lifts up again.
I'll see if I can get any good specific product recommendations for you though, probably later on today.

P.s. if you have had problem with your hair in the past I don't know if I would recommend heavy treatments or masses of hair product to be honest. You would be best served by having a competent hairstylist/barber work with you to cut it in a way that it reduces that effect then use lighter products. But I am not a barber.
post #8 of 15
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay.

That is so great
post #10 of 15
I wouldnt use oil based pomades if I were you, since you've already experienced hair loss. I always suggest Pinaud's "Club Pomade", it is water based, washes out completely and has a very strong hold, definitely up to par with heavy oil based pomades like Murrays or DAX red can. It's about $3-5 tub at most beauty supply stores. Or check out Sportin Waves, available at most Targets or grocery stores. There is a black can and a gold can, the gold being very thick and strong, the black more mid-weight. This stuff is also water soluble.
post #11 of 15
Perhaps, you should get a straight perm.
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
It may be because I have never used pomade before, but that Sportin' Waves stuff is amazing. Highly recommend it and it was very cheap from Target.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
I always suggest Pinaud's "Club Pomade", it is water based, washes out completely and has a very strong hold, definitely up to par with heavy oil based pomades like Murrays or DAX red can. It's about $3-5 tub at most beauty supply stores.

I took the Pinaud recommendation from another thread and must say that I was not impressed at all. I know it depends on hair type, but for someone with pretty regular straight hair, this did not work well (I had to use 1/4 of the tub to get anything)......

What works fairly well for me is to soak my hair in water, then apply a bit of paste (I use KMS) and work it in with comb/fingers. That usually keeps my hair flat/shiny/slick.
post #14 of 15
I use stuff from Aveda and it works well, washes out incredibly easy and has enough hold for me. Ends up always looking very natural.
post #15 of 15
I use black and white pomade or aveda paste. I also have something in a tin can that looks so manly and industrially designed, smells great and works very well but I lost the label (it was made from thick, dark paper and written in type font). I'd recommend the last thing I mentionned if someone can find out what it is...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Unruly hair