or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Is Diet Coke bad for me?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is Diet Coke bad for me? - Page 2

post #16 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Well, I'm no expert, and your comments are perfectly valid, but I'm not sure that premise (A): The quantities of aspartame ingested by rats in the studies finding deleterious effects far exceed, on a relative basis, what any sane human would consume; leads to conclusion (B): Aspartame is perfectly safe for humans.
At best, your point tends to support an argument that those studies don't prove much of any practical value.

I'm not expert either, but, it seems to me that giving a rat anything far in excess of what would normally be consumed would lead to problems. If you gave the rat regular table sugar in the amounts that those studies have fed aspartame to rats then there would be problems. The FDA, based on extensive studies conducted by the FDA and other medical bodies throughout the world, has said that it's safe for the average person to consume up to 50 miligrams of aspartame per kilogram of bodyweight. So, for example, say I weigh about 85 kilograms, I can safely ingest 4250 milligrams of aspartame. One diet soda has about 225 milligrams, so I can drink about 19 cans of diet soda per day before I reach dangerous levels.

The reason I brought up the rat experiments is that those are the experiments that are most cited when people argue that aspartame is not safe, not because those experiments prove that aspartame is safe. There are numerous studies conducted by governmental and non-govermental researches that conclude that aspartame, in the amounts that are normally consumed by humans (because just about nobody drinks more than 19 cans of soda in a day), are perfectly safe. I brought up the rat experiments just to let people know that the reason that the rats in those experiments suffered negative effects (including IIRC cancer and brain damage) is because those rats were ingested with levels that FAR exceed what any human would ingest (not just exceed by a little, but exceed by a little - many times the amount that has been determined to be safe).
post #17 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
I'm not expert either, but, it seems to me that giving a rat anything far in excess of what would normally be consumed would lead to problems. If you gave the rat regular table sugar in the amounts that those studies have fed aspartame to rats then there would be problems. The FDA, based on extensive studies conducted by the FDA and other medical bodies throughout the world, has said that it's safe for the average person to consume up to 50 miligrams of aspartame per kilogram of bodyweight. So, for example, say I weigh about 85 kilograms, I can safely ingest 4250 milligrams of aspartame. One diet soda has about 225 milligrams, so I can drink about 19 cans of diet soda per day before I reach dangerous levels.

The reason I brought up the rat experiments is that those are the experiments that are most cited when people argue that aspartame is not safe, not because those experiments prove that aspartame is safe. There are numerous studies conducted by governmental and non-govermental researches that conclude that aspartame, in the amounts that are normally consumed by humans (because just about nobody drinks more than 19 cans of soda in a day), are perfectly safe. I brought up the rat experiments just to let people know that the reason that the rats in those experiments suffered negative effects (including IIRC cancer and brain damage) is because those rats were ingested with levels that FAR exceed what any human would ingest (not just exceed by a little, but exceed by a little - many times the amount that has been determined to be safe).
Then again, the head of the FDA went on to work at Monsanto, the company that makes Nutrasweet/aspartame.

Personally, I can't drink even a serving of Nutrasweet - it gives me a stomachache. I used to drink Tab for this reason. Of course, saccharine gives you cancer too....
post #18 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
Then again, the head of the FDA went on to work at Monsanto, the company that makes Nutrasweet/aspartame.

Personally, I can't drink even a serving of Nutrasweet - it gives me a stomachache. I used to drink Tab for this reason. Of course, saccharine gives you cancer too....

Yes, this is true. It is also true that Monsanto is the devil (I'm not kidding here, I'm being serious). But, numerous independent organizations have all concluded that aspartame is safe including the American Medical Association, the American Diabetes Association, the American Dietetic Association, the World Health Organization, the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, and government regulators in more than 100 countries. I got this from http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutriti...aspartame.html (don't really have the time to post all the various studies I've read - or skimmed - on the subject).
post #19 of 109
Is Diet Coke bad for you???? UNEQUIVOCALLY YES!!!!


I'd ditch the sodas and replace them with specialty teas. They are healthy, and once you develop a palate for them, you will have a lifelong hobby bringing you great pleasure.

I just ordered some 2006 pre-rain harvest Long Jing and Shou Mei from Hong Kong...I can't wait. My Chunshan Yin Jan is almost finished and I need something new and fresh!
post #20 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn
Is Diet Coke bad for you???? UNEQUIVOCALLY YES!!!!


I'd ditch the sodas and replace them with specialty teas. They are healthy, and once you develop a palate for them, you will have a lifelong hobby bringing you great pleasure.

I just ordered some 2006 pre-rain harvest Long Jing and Shou Mei from Hong Kong...I can't wait. My Chunshan Yin Jan is almost finished and I need something new and fresh!


You're saying that tea is good for you. Which is fine, I think we can all agree. However, that doesn't mean that diet soda is bad for you. What is your proof that diet soda is bad for you? I mean, this isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of scientific fact.
post #21 of 109
Sorry all soda is bad for you diet or not. I'm not going to google studies because it should be common knowledge by now. Sure it's better than regular Coke but still. Going from Coke to Diet Coke is a half-assed attempt that really isn't going to do you any good, like going from Marlboro Reds to Lights.
post #22 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn
Sorry all soda is bad for you diet or not. I'm not going to google studies because it should be common knowledge by now.

How do you figure? What's bad about diet soda? The reason it's not common knowledge by now is because what you are saying has no basis in fact. Regular soda is very bad for you because of the high sugar content. Diet soda has no sugar, no calories, and rehydrates you - I don't really see anything bad about it.
post #23 of 109
I'm not going to argue over such a silly issue. If you want to saturate your body with aspartame, go for it. BTW if regular Coke actually had sugar I might drink it every once in a while. But it doesn't (unless I get the kosher Coke during passover, or Mexican coke).
post #24 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn
I'm not going to argue over such a silly issue. If you want to saturate your body with aspartame, go for it. BTW if regular Coke actually had sugar I might drink it every once in a while. But it doesn't (unless I get the kosher Coke during passover, or Mexican coke).

o.k.
post #25 of 109
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,159579,00.html

(Yes Steve, I know)

Also some doctors think that carbonated beverages may contribute to acid reflux and thereby esophogeal disorders and cancer.
post #26 of 109
J, that cold be because so many people who order a diet soda also order 5 cheeseburgers and extra large curly fries. Still, I have several overweight friends who have lost serious weight (30-40 lbs) in a matter of months after not drinking sodas, and kept it off with no change to their diets otherwise.
post #27 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,159579,00.html

(Yes Steve, I know)

Also some doctors think that carbonated beverages may contribute to acid reflux and thereby esophogeal disorders and cancer.


Yeah, I think that a lot of people when drinking diet soda say to themselves "well, I took in less calories now that I drank a diet soda so that means I can eat a little more" and that "little more" that they eat ends up doing them a lot more harm than if they had just drank a regular soda.

Btw, I wouldn't recommend losing weight by switching to diet soda. All I was saying is that I don't think it's necessarily bad for you.

I recently lost about 30 lbs and it had very little to do with drinking diet soda or not. Sensible diet and exercise are the keys.
post #28 of 109

I try to drink one of these every day:
post #29 of 109
soda is bad for you.
"dark" sodas (except root beer) have phosphoric acid in them....

"Phosphoric acid may be used by direct application to rusted iron or steel tools or surfaces to convert iron(III) oxide (rust) to a water soluble phosphate compound. It is usually available as a greenish liquid, suitable for dipping (acid bath), but is more generally used as a component in a gel, commonly called Naval jelly. As a thick gel, it may be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces. Care must be taken to avoid acid burns of the skin and especially the eyes, but the residue is easily diluted with water."


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Anyway, I switched to Iced Green Tea, which has a little bit of caffeine, but has good anti-oxidants, is much much better for hydration. If you like the taste of tea, which not everyone does, I can't recommend it enough.

Also, do you like juices? I find that when I get thirsty, a cranberry cocktail juice or orange juice is just fine.

Soda is just plain awful stuff. If I have kids, it will be one thing I make sure never to let them slip into an addiction of.

tea and juice rules!

and seriously, when i see parents letting their 3 year olds drink soda it makes me so sad. ughh!
post #30 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
[url]
Also some doctors think that carbonated beverages may contribute to acid reflux and thereby esophogeal disorders and cancer.


Just anecdotal evidince, but when I drink "too much" (whatever that point is) I definitely get the old heart burn. Horribly.



bob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Is Diet Coke bad for me?