• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Product Endorsement: Mario Batali Pasta Sauce in a Jar

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So.. I traveled for 22 hours yesterday, had no groceries, and no energy tonight to cook dinner after shopping, so I picked up a jar of Mario Batali sauce for a quick dinner. Got the Arrabiata. By far, this is the best sauce in a jar I have ever had.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This stuff is a whole new world compared to Rao's IMHO. And I think it's less expensive. No preservatives at all... san marzano tomatoes, fresh onion, fresh carrot, fresh caper, fresh pepper, crushed red pepper. Amazing.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This sounds really good. I'm generally not happy with jarred sauces; maybe this will be the one that defies the norm. I'll have to give it a try next time I buy sauce in a jar.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tasted it the other day and thought 'finally a halfway decent celebrity chef product!'. It's expensive and I won't buy it (I like to think I'm capable of making pasta sauces), but it is good for sauce in a jar.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I tasted it the other day and thought 'finally a halfway decent celebrity chef product!'. It's expensive and I won't buy it (I like to think I'm capable of making pasta sauces), but it is good for sauce in a jar.
I'm capable too, but dry pasta and sauce in a jar is one of the few truly "last forever" things I can keep in a pantry for an emergency, since i travel too much to keep groceries all the time.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My grandmother would have a heart attack if I ever purchased sauce in a jar.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I'm capable too, but dry pasta and sauce in a jar is one of the few truly "last forever" things I can keep in a pantry for an emergency, since i travel too much to keep groceries all the time.

When you make sauce, don't you make a big pot? Throw some in the freezer.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt

I do this, and I still run out from time-to-time. Like Ron, I don't always have the time to make another batch of sauce, so jar sauce comes in handy.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt

+1. Sauce is super easy to make, even Mario Batali's recipe from one of his books.

horton

Reaction score
Arrabiata is wicked easy and super fast to make. Really I would suggest doing yourself.

You put some extra virgin in the pan, then red pepper flake (peccorino) and then ground tomatoes (you would buy a can of this instead of a jar) and then cook medium high to high

it's done at the same time as the pasta itself. it's meant to be a fresh, fast, spicy sauce and very much comfort food (no doubt because there's a fair amount of olive oil)

You serve with whole parsely leaves never cheese (if you care about authenticity)

It is by far one of my favorite go to dishes when there's nothing in the fridge because you can always have good tomatoes on hand (canned are perfect) and the other stuff is always a staple.

So while Mario's sounds great I would really urge to try and make this yourself. It's wicked easy and you don't make big pots of it (the big pot stuff is a convention red sauce where you cook for hours to mellow out the acidity of the tomatoes -- eg by cooking with bay leaves); this sauce is meant to be acidic but masked by the spice)

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
Arrabiata is wicked easy and super fast to make. Really I would suggest doing yourself.

You put some extra virgin in the pan, then red pepper flake (peccorino) and then ground tomatoes (you would buy a can of this instead of a jar) and then cook medium high to high

it's done at the same time as the pasta itself. it's meant to be a fresh, fast, spicy sauce and very much comfort food (no doubt because there's a fair amount of olive oil)

You serve with whole parsely leaves never cheese

lolwut

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads