• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good site for quality leather jackets?

TyroneFig

Reaction score
Something around $500 or less if possible.. but has to be quality, can't be some kind of warehouse/wholesale/mall style leather jacket with the ripply elastic waistband etc.

I already have an A-2 (bomber jacket) but not sure I'd like to go with something motorcyclish. Although this one is nice

http://www.schottnyc.com/products/me...motorcycle.htm

But I'd like something a bit different.

Also what leather do you all suggest? Lamb? cow?

Joe Cool

Reaction score
You need to narrow it down to a general style/cut and then get back to us.

Do you want a Polo leather windbreaker? a Desert Fox style overcoat? a biker jacket? etc.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
ebay? ToJ? Giltgroupe? Getting lucky on the buy&sell forum or supermarket? the style, type of leather, color, etc... is up to you. There is not one that is necessarily better than the other. Getting "quality" leather (not sure what you mean if you just want non-cheapy leather or something truly high quality that retails almost 2k but on sale/2nd hand) is kinda vague. Good luck though

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
500 wont get you a good leather jacket unless you go toj

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz

lol
Sure can if you sale hunt. I'm sure a fashun-deal baller like yourself would already have known.

TyroneFig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz

I already bought a great leather jacket for $250.. Don't be so sure high dollar value is the only way to go

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather jackets are one of the most likely items to be heavily discounted these days. I've always been able to buy Japanese leathers for about 50% off retail, and there are others on here whom have bought high-end leathers at even deeper discounts.

TyroneFig

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting one custom made at magnoliclothiers.com
specifically the open road jacket.

Not sure which color to go but I was hoping to get black cowhide. Not sure whether to get predistressed or not?
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/open...ers-p-134.html

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are 2 kinds of leather jackets; the fashion oriented ones and the functional types. Both can be of very high quality depends how you look at them. I think you're going for looks rather than function as most of the people here.

Functional jackets like Schott NYC are very heavy(+6lbs) and also need some time to break in. They are also very thick, a feature of real motorcycle jackets.

For some inspiration you should checkout filmjackets.com.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i saw a super cheap H&M brown leather jacket haha for like 75 or something

quality is of course no where near good cuz its H&M

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Leather jackets are one of the most likely items to be heavily discounted these days. I've always been able to buy Japanese leathers for about 50% off retail, and there are others on here whom have bought high-end leathers at even deeper discounts.

Leathers are just traditionally marked up because a good market can hold higher priced leather jackets, that is about it. The Slimane-era DH leathers held their value for the time, a couple years ago, Rick leathers were a commodity, Julius has come and gone, but if the aesthetic is over, then they are worth no more than $500-1000 on the used market/a slow moving sales season, even if they are big dollar leathers. There's definitely a base price for a used leather, but there's also a ceiling depending on the style/label.

Reason being; leathers get to enjoy hugely inflated margins, just because they are leather, so they get made, they get pushed, and if they're hot, like Rick leathers a few years ago, then they get pushed hard. Using RO as an example: Rick often makes the same jacket styles in both leather and cloth versions; the former are often $1000 more than the cloth versions, but why? The people making the jackets are obviously the same, cutting from the same pattern, pushing textile through the same machine using the same thread, so labor cost would be exactly the same at his level; the difference in material cost would be less than $100, so total difference in out the door cost between the $3000 leather version and the $1500 cloth version of the same jacket would be less than $100.

Aero leather, Lost Worlds, those companies sell good leather jackets at reasonable prices, because they sell direct, which in itself is not stylish because it doesn't contain the element of brand cachet usually. Fashionable leather jackets will always be $2-3000, because they include some or many middlemen. If you want a jacket that fits slimly, this dilemma will always occur, time and again.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyroneFig
I was thinking of getting one custom made at magnoliclothiers.com
specifically the open road jacket.

Not sure which color to go but I was hoping to get black cowhide. Not sure whether to get predistressed or not?
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/open...ers-p-134.html

No No, don't do that. Put an extra $100 or so on top of your $500 and get an aero.

Get cowhide instead of horsehide and it's mtm so disregard the post above which is making aero sound that it has to be non-slim. That's non-sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads