or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › World Cup 2006
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

World Cup 2006 - Page 2

post #16 of 32
Well, I used to be a referee and it sure looked like a penalty to me. 9 times out of 10 the whistle blows on that play.
post #17 of 32
Australia 3 - 1 Japan
Australia have scored their first goal in the WC ever and registered their first goals ever. Hopefully they make it to the round of 16 but if not they are still the most successful Australian side ever.
post #18 of 32
usa looked lacklustre against czech - have they not taken freddy adu (or did i miss something - my girlfriend doesn't let me watch the whole of whatever match i'm watching out of principle)?

england looked very poor against paraguay, but we might get our shit together, highly doubt we'll win.

fairplay to the ozzies - dukes has gone through a bit of a rennaisance over here, and kewell lost some weight from a season or two ago - i hope they do well.
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Well, I used to be a referee and it sure looked like a penalty to me. 9 times out of 10 the whistle blows on that play.

Then nine times out of ten the referee makes a mistake.
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by limousine
Australia 3 - 1 Japan
Australia have scored their first goal in the WC ever and registered their first goals ever. Hopefully they make it to the round of 16 but if not they are still the most successful Australian side ever.


And boy did we celebrate this victory today, felt like we won the whole thing!
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicturncoat
Then nine times out of ten the referee makes a mistake.

The rule is that if an unintentional handball puts the ball in a position where the team inadvertantly handling it gains an advantage, then it is a free kick/penalty. That criteria was CERTAINLY fulfilled in this case.
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
The rule is that if an unintentional handball puts the ball in a position where the team inadvertantly handling it gains an advantage, then it is a free kick/penalty. That criteria was CERTAINLY fulfilled in this case.
Unintentionally blocking the ball from going into the net does not mean putting, "the ball in a position where the team inadvertantly handling it gains an advantage". Here is the entire law from FIFA regarding awarding a penalty kick due to a hand ball, it's very simple.

"handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)"
post #23 of 32
wow the reffing for the US vs Italy was bad beyond bad. It was embarrassing for so many people to watch such a poorly reffed game and the fans deserve a refund. 3 red cards was over doing it. Even though im happy the US held on to a tie, and still has hope in moving on.
post #24 of 32
Maybe a bit off topic, but is it me or the Italians dressed really well. I especially dig the white jackets. Why can't we get some cool outfits for the good ole USA?
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Maybe a bit off topic, but is it me or the Italians dressed really well. I especially dig the white jackets. Why can't we get some cool outfits for the good ole USA?

Italians get Armani or Dolce & Gabbana to design their outfits. Americans could get Calvin Klein or Marc Jacobs, but wait, the former has collections designed by an Italian, and the latter works for a French conglomerate.
post #26 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayArea
wow the reffing for the US vs Italy was bad beyond bad. It was embarrassing for so many people to watch such a poorly reffed game and the fans deserve a refund. 3 red cards was over doing it. Even though im happy the US held on to a tie, and still has hope in moving on.

Perfect example of a referree undeservedly costing a team a game. The US totally outplayed and outclassed Italy and should have won that game, and I'm 100% certain that they would have if it wasn't for such poor officiating.
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
Perfect example of a referree undeservedly costing a team a game. The US totally outplayed and outclassed Italy and should have won that game, and I'm 100% certain that they would have if it wasn't for such poor officiating.
What were the bad calls? Certainly the red cards were well deserved for the Italians(along with minimum 3 match suspension) as well the Americans. I merely saw poor play on both sides and very little class anywhere on the field.
post #28 of 32
Had Australia beaten Brazil i would have taken a flask of scotch into my exam today, to continue celebrating. We played better. We had enough chances, but didn't capitalise. Goals win games, not near misses. Heartbreaking if we don't make the 16.
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicturncoat
What were the bad calls? Certainly the red cards were well deserved for the Italians(along with minimum 3 match suspension) as well the Americans. I merely saw poor play on both sides and very little class anywhere on the field.


both red cards the US got were questionable. Especially the first US red card for a slide that has been a yellow card at worst up until now in the world cup. It seemed to me the Italians were diving rather often, while the US didnt seem to attempt that crap. Of course being American i am slightly biased but I still feel the ref's cost the US the game.
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayArea
both red cards the US got were questionable. Especially the first US red card for a slide that has been a yellow card at worst up until now in the world cup. It seemed to me the Italians were diving rather often, while the US didnt seem to attempt that crap. Of course being American i am slightly biased but I still feel the ref's cost the US the game.
When the Americans actually score a goal themselves they can start talking about deserving to win instead of whining about the ref over what were, particularly in Mastroeni's case, dangerous tackles; late, with both feet and aimed directly at Pirlo's ankle. This is a canonical red card.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › World Cup 2006