• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Raphael suit (not mine)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I posted this in my blog, but since nobody reads it, I thought I'd repost here. My friend Jon recently had a suit made up by Raphael. I think it looks pretty damned good. Raphael had minimal input from my friend or me (I was there to control my friend, not Raphael). The cloth is Lesser 11 oz. worsted, in air force blue. The shirt is made by Paris shirtmakers--the collar needs tweaking (for some reason, they made it without any interlining). The tie is Charvet.
jonraphaels.jpg
Feel free to comment here . . . or on my blog
smile.gif

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would have gone for a cleaner break in the trousers, but it looks very good. The shirt collar is nice too. Also, re: your blog. If you updated it more often then people might read it more often.
smile.gif
And then from the same post, there is also this jacket that looks very questionable...
as11s.jpg

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I posted this in my blog, but since nobody reads it, I thought I'd repost here. My friend Jon recently had a suit made up by Raphael. I think it looks pretty damned good. Raphael had minimal input from my friend or me (I was there to control my friend, not Raphael). The cloth is Lesser 11 oz. worsted, in air force blue. The shirt is made by Paris shirtmakers--the collar needs tweaking (for some reason, they made it without any interlining). The tie is Charvet.

Looks like he bought a off the rack Canali, would never have guessed it was bespoke. Is this Raphael's default cut?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
And then from the same post, there is also this jacket that looks very questionable...

Hmm, can I assume you're speaking in jest? I like it quite a lot. The only times I've felt a genuine impulse to try another tailor is when I've seen good A&S in person.

Originally Posted by jamesbond
Looks like he bought a off the rack Canali, would never have guessed it was bespoke. Is this Raphael's default cut?

What, exactly, do you think is wrong with it? I think it looks pretty impeccable.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, can I assume you're speaking in jest? I like it quite a lot. The only times I've felt a genuine impulse to try another tailor is when I've seen good A&S in person.

What, exactly, do you think is wrong with it? I think it looks pretty impeccable.

Nothing is wrong with it....its a classically cut suit. I just wonder if he needed to go bespoke to get something like this? Couldn't he have just picked up a RTW Canali or something for much, much cheaper?

I like Whnay's jacket, looks like the quarters are jutting open on his belt buckle, I hope its not that open normally?

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jonraphaels.jpg

I gotta tell ya, that's a fine looking suit.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree - looks pretty damn good to me. Matt, tell him to get cuffs and loose the shoes (or at least polish them).

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

jonraphaels.jpg

Feel free to comment here . . . or on my blog
smile.gif

As conservative as it gets ( down to the solid tie and straight across pocket square ). Black shoes too.

I like it a lot. Is your friend a lawyer perchance?

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I agree - looks pretty damn good to me. Matt, tell him to get cuffs and loose the shoes (or at least polish them).

+1. What's the deal with the shoes?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Nothing is wrong with it....its a classically cut suit. I just wonder if he needed to go bespoke to get something like this? Couldn't he have just picked up a RTW Canali or something for much, much cheaper?
Well, in my opinion it's actually quite difficult to achieve 'nothing wrong'. Almost all RTW, no matter how well it fits, is noticeably wrong in some way. After all, bespoke isn't supposed to deliver unicorns and pots of gold, just an excellent suit.
Originally Posted by whnay.
The cuffs are there--it's not just clear in the photos. It took an afternoon of arguing with him to get them added. Do you have an A&S thread on here? I was looking for it to add your photo to. He's stubborn about the shoes.
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I like it a lot. Is your friend a lawyer perchance?
Nope. Finance.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too much knot, too much break, not loving the shoes, but the suit is nice.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto

I think the break is in the realm of correct, although he could lose some if he likes. He might just need to adjust his braces.

I hate big knots, but this one looks perfectly right sized to me. It's just a four-in-hand.

literasyme

Reaction score
I think it looks OK, but undistinguished. I'm also a bit puzzled by what looks like quite a bit of excess fabric under the arms -- the fabric doesn't seem to drape very well there at all, and it looks like there's some kind of bunching going on around the waist that I wouldn't fuss about in RTW, but that in a bespoke jacket I find troubling.

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto

The tie knot is perfect, IMO. I only wish I could tie knots like that with all my ties.

Stuart

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the suit is a great fit for him, the jacket dose need a good pressing but he dose look rather dapper in it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads