or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › T&A Sale - 1st Report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

T&A Sale - 1st Report

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I just returned from a lunchtime boondogle on East 57th.

- Selected Ties = $50 (good, not great selection)
- Selected Shirts = $109
- There were 8-10 C&J's on sale, non of the popular handgrades to my knowledge. I was shocked when I saw them, because last week a salesman told me that C&Js would be excluded. Business slow? The selection consisted of bluchers, boots and a couple of loafers (tobacco suede Boston's for $250). Not the most popular models, but I was not focused on shoes for once (did get a complement on my Mackays).
- No pyjamas on sale ... much to my shagrin.

Typical NYC "private sale" where sale items were segregated from everything else, all sales final, etc.

Overall, the place was a bit of a madhouse ... certainly by T&A standards. The most fun was an elderly lady roasting her husband for all to hear about not picking up a fantastic tie ... after I grabbed it.

I believe reps from the Boston Red Sox were in the shop absolutely loading up (Yankees vs. Sox this week). Simon told me that it was insane beginning at 10am and will certainly continue to close. The sale will likely continue for 3 weeks.

I picked up a number of ties ... I'll be back, as will my wife.
post #2 of 16
I stopped by for a brief look around 1:45. Tie selection was pretty bad. I recognized a lot of patterns left over from the last few years' sales...some really ancient stuff. Not a lot of shirt selection in my size, much better in the large sizes. No classic shirts, just really loud patters. cashmere sweaters were colorful, ranging in price from $350 to $600. did not look too hard at the trousers. They had suits at two price points -- $700 and $1500. Covert coats were $1500. Blazers were $500, I think.

Overall, the sales in prior years were much better. But you should see for yourself.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry2000
I stopped by for a brief look around 1:45. Tie selection was pretty bad. I recognized a lot of patterns left over from the last few years' sales...some really ancient stuff. Not a lot of shirt selection in my size, much better in the large sizes. No classic shirts, just really loud patters. cashmere sweaters were colorful, ranging in price from $350 to $600. did not look too hard at the trousers. They had suits at two price points -- $700 and $1500. Covert coats were $1500. Blazers were $500, I think.

Overall, the sales in prior years were much better. But you should see for yourself.


I was expecting more ... better selection, more items on sale, etc. Disappointing, considering the build up.
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris
I was expecting more ... better selection, more items on sale, etc. Disappointing, considering the build up.

What time did you go? I was there around 11:30 and there was a decent selection of shirts. Sure most shirts had loud colors, but that's expected of T&A. I only got 1 shirt because I didn't know how it'd fit me and because I couldn't figure out how to match ties with the other shirts.

There were guys there buying 6-10 shirts each so maybe the selection is drying up. Did you check the boxes under the table?
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod
What time did you go? I was there around 11:30 and there was a decent selection of shirts. Sure most shirts had loud colors, but that's expected of T&A. I only got 1 shirt because I didn't know how it'd fit me and because I couldn't figure out how to match ties with the other shirts.

There were guys there buying 6-10 shirts each so maybe the selection is drying up. Did you check the boxes under the table?

I was there about 1pm and spent most of my time downstairs with the ties. I did a survey of my wardrobe a few weeks ago (in anticipation of various sales) and determined that I was woefully deficient on ties. Nonetheless, you are on target with the shirt selection ... colorful and patterned ... typical T&A (to which I am partial).

I am working through my current RTW inventory of shirts with the goal of going bespoke sometime next year. In terms of capital allocation, ties are where I have the most need. Although that certainly did not stop me from eye the pyjamas and smoking jackets ...
post #6 of 16
Yes I'd agree that the tie selection was bad. If I wanted austere ties, I'd wear club ties instead.
post #7 of 16
$100+ double stitched RTW shirts and it's final sale? Oh please.

Morris,

Do me a favor and walk a few blocks over to Ascot Chang and compare the fabrics, the stitching, the rendering of the collar and cuffs, the delivery time, and finally the price before you pull the trigger on MTM T&A's.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCN
$100+ double stitched RTW shirts and it's final sale? Oh please.

Morris,

Do me a favor and walk a few blocks over to Ascot Chang and compare the fabrics, the stitching, the rendering of the collar and cuffs, the delivery time, and finally the price before you pull the trigger on MTM T&A's.


I never said I would be doing T&A MTM ... that decision is far off.

AC's quality is excellent, IMHO.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris
Simon told me that it was insane beginning at 10am and will certainly continue to close.


For old times sake I had to say this:

"Would ya like ya pattans to match, sah?"

I think only Koji will get that joke.

Jon.
post #10 of 16
Has anyone gone today? Are any braces, leather goods, boxers, socks, etc. on sale?
post #11 of 16
Anyone know what time T&A on 57th closes? I've seen conflicting reports of 6 and 6:30.

Thanks!
post #12 of 16
Anything new to add? Is the stock dwindling, or do they keep pulling out more shirts from storage?
post #13 of 16
They're over-priced, but I do have to extoll the quality of T&A's pocket squares--I think they're fabulous.

koji
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
They're over-priced, but I do have to extoll the quality of T&A's pocket squares--I think they're fabulous.

koji

Do the pattans match on the pocket squares, sah?

Jon.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Do the pattans match on the pocket squares, sah?

Jon.

Hobbs rules. lol

koji
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › T&A Sale - 1st Report