or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Watch experts. Any info on this watch?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Watch experts. Any info on this watch?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I recently won this watch on ebay with an accepted offer of $375. The seller seemed very legit with 100's of watch transactions and perfect feedback. I've been browsing ebay for a nice looking vintage watch and really liked the look of this one. The brand is Record Watch Co, Geneva.




post #2 of 14
Pick up a copy of "Complete Price Guide to Watches by Cooksey Shugart, Richard E. Gilbert, and Tom Engle" -- the vintage watch bible.

Twotone
post #3 of 14
Record Watch Co. S.A., Tramelan-Dessus, Genève, La Chaux de Fonds, Les Pommerats, London

1903: Founded by a group with the purpose to aquire and realise the patent of the Sector Watch, a triangular pocket watch with retrograde display.
1916: Merger with several companies under the name Record Dreadnought Watch Co. S.A., with a broad collection of all kinds of clocks, watches, and movements. Brands and names of the involved companies continued to be used.
1949: The original name Record Watch Co. S.A. was registered again.
1960: A Record pocketwatch (calibre 435B) was the first Swiss watch to achieve wide acceptance on US railroads.
1961: Longines bought the majority interest in Record. The brand Record continued - on some watches as Longines-Record. Some Record calibres were renamed as Longines calibres.
1991: Record was closed.

Record watches are often offered as Longines products to increase the price. Indeed some models were sold by Longines under the brand Longines-Record, and some Record calibres were adapted as Longines calibres. But in general Record remained technically independent.

I've seen standard calendar watches from them, with triple date and moonphase. IMHO, they are kind of like the Hamilton and Movado brand today, although the aforementioned endured a more illustrious history than they do now. It's a rare find.
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat View Post
Record Watch Co. S.A., Tramelan-Dessus, Genève, La Chaux de Fonds, Les Pommerats, London

1903: Founded by a group with the purpose to aquire and realise the patent of the Sector Watch, a triangular pocket watch with retrograde display.
1916: Merger with several companies under the name Record Dreadnought Watch Co. S.A., with a broad collection of all kinds of clocks, watches, and movements. Brands and names of the involved companies continued to be used.
1949: The original name Record Watch Co. S.A. was registered again.
1960: A Record pocketwatch (calibre 435B) was the first Swiss watch to achieve wide acceptance on US railroads.
1961: Longines bought the majority interest in Record. The brand Record continued - on some watches as Longines-Record. Some Record calibres were renamed as Longines calibres.
1991: Record was closed.

Record watches are often offered as Longines products to increase the price. Indeed some models were sold by Longines under the brand Longines-Record, and some Record calibres were adapted as Longines calibres. But in general Record remained technically independent.

I've seen standard calendar watches from them, with triple date and moonphase. IMHO, they are kind of like the Hamilton and Movado brand today, although the aforementioned endured a more illustrious history than they do now. It's a rare find.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it
post #5 of 14
It looks like a doctor's watch, but the numbers are in the wrong 'order' (ascending, instead of descending)?
post #6 of 14
Nice looking watch. Wear it in good health.
post #7 of 14
Absolutely droolworthy
post #8 of 14
Amazing.
post #9 of 14
I assume you removed the back for those pics. Do you think that was a good idea?
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh06 View Post
I assume you removed the back for those pics. Do you think that was a good idea?

Why not? It's not water resistant anyway.
post #11 of 14
I get the feeling that the dial is re-done...

/M
post #12 of 14
I know nothing about it's authenticity... but it looks gorgeous!
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh06 View Post
I assume you removed the back for those pics. Do you think that was a good idea?

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post
It looks like a doctor's watch, but the numbers are in the wrong 'order' (ascending, instead of descending)?
Anyone have any clue about this numbering. Really interesting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Watch experts. Any info on this watch?