• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke: The Beginning of the End

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tinfoil.gif

There is a cloth that for the longest time I considered having made-up as an odd coat (sport coat) ... but could never bring myself to pull the trigger. I just didn’t know if it was right for me. And yes, I know that’s saying a lot given my taste.

Be that as it may … I bought the cloth and sent it to a "tailor of a lesser God" (one neither on Savile Row nor in Naples) to be made up as a trial/test coat. My thought ... if I like the look ... I would purchase more cloth and send it along to London for the real thing.

Well, the trial/test coat is in ... and I like it. But ... I also have a dilemma ... I'm no longer at all certain that I need the “real thing.” This may well suffice just as is ... and be my real thing. I'm not saying I’d never need or use high-end bespoke again ... but 90% of the time ... this really could work.

I imagine my confession will get me expelled from some bespoke circles. And some SF & AAAC members may never speak to me again ... but ... oh well, c'est la vie.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
tinfoil.gif

I imagine my confession will get me expelled from some bespoke circles. And some SF & AAAC members may never speak to me again ... but ... oh well, c'est la vie.

My advice is to keep this tailor a mysteryâ„¢.

- B

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
-- you are right Vox.

I've got two more "tests" on order ... should be here by the end of February. At that time I'll see if I feel similarly ... and consider pics and more specifics.

In the mean time, I'll try to make up for it by posting some "real real thing" bespoke in another thread or two.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
-- you are right Vox.

But post the jacket to taunt others.

Can't your English guys visit you in one or other of your coastal locations? At this point, you can't be in a rush to get stuff. I'm pretty much attuned to riding the Earth once around the Sun for each order.

- B

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
But post the jacket to taunt others.

Can't your English guys visit you in one or other of your coastal locations? At this point, you can't be in a rush to get stuff. I'm pretty much attuned to riding the Earth once around the Sun for each order.

I'm not in a rush ... have never minded wating a year or more for my tailored clothing.

In this case I just couldn't decide if several bold tweeds would make up well. I thought of the "test/trial" coats as an insurance policy. If one or more don't work ... I'd save $$$$.

As to riding the Earth ... I'm less and less a fan of the two to three (sometimes more) day trips to London ... especially from the West Coast.

And the English guys do visit SF & LA 3x yearly.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I'm not in a rush ... have never minded wating a year or more for my tailored clothing.

In this case I just couldn't decide if several bold tweeds would make up well. I thought of the coats as an insurance policy If one or more don't work ... I'd save $$$$.

Well, I think there is every reason to have secondary source...Will had a little piece called The Knockabout Suit along these lines.

Since about last summer, I've been toying with the least expensive way of getting an individualized suit done...with a couple of experiments. I'm not convinced by it yet, but I might proceed with a couple more.

I wore one of the experiments to Sleep No More last weekend, and it got a ton of compliments, which surprised me greatly.

- B

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll admit ... my test isn't SR quality ... but I'm thinking it's good enough.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of people buy into brands although they would leap on people that did it with Gucci or a "Designer label".

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
tinfoil.gif

There is a cloth that for the longest time I considered having made-up as an odd coat (sport coat) ... but could never bring myself to pull the trigger. I just didn't know if it was right for me. And yes, I know that's saying a lot given my taste.

Be that as it may ... I bought the cloth and sent it to a "tailor of a lesser God" (one neither on Savile Row nor in Naples) to be made up as a trial/test coat. My thought ... if I like the look ... I would purchase more cloth and send it along to London for the real thing.

Well, the trial/test coat is in ... and I like it. But ... I also have a dilemma ... I'm no longer at all certain that I need the "real thing." This may well suffice just as is ... and be my real thing. I'm not saying I'd never need or use high-end bespoke again ... but 90% of the time ... this really could work.

Post this "experiment" here with pics along with a genuine Saville Row bespoke, and see if the SF elite can tell which is which.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Post this "experiment" here with pics along with a genuine Saville Row bespoke, and see if the SF elite can tell which is which.

As he should.

Is this thread a confessional? Because if it is, where's the full disclosure?

Is this thread a question? If it is, it can't be answered without images.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To suggest that having a store front in the West End makes you a better cutter or tailor is truly and utterly ridiculous. Bespoke tailoring firms are basically "brands". And there is a lot of brand snobbery going around when it comes to bespoke. Some of these brands subsist only their past reputation, and are seemingly blind to the fact that their methods of cutting and making are extremely dated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads