or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Sea Shepherd's new boat vs Japanese Whalers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sea Shepherd's new boat vs Japanese Whalers - Page 6

post #76 of 162
I like whales. (eating them, that is).

It seems anti-whaling is based on 2 main points:

- they are intelligent
- they are near extinct

- Intelligence argument: If you claim that you should not eat intelligent life (whatever that is), then you must also be against eating things like pork, for example. You must also show that there is some special intelligence hierarchy, then draw a line to determine the dumb animals that you are allowed to eat.

- Extinct argument: There are some whale species that are probably near extinct, but others that are not. Regulation would easily solve this. Also, the extinction argument should be spread out over other fish as well. For example, all over the world (including the U.S., and the west) some argue we are starting to fish tuna to extinction. Actually there are numerous fish besides whale that people should be worried about in terms of the extinction argument, because there are not really any regulations. Whale is already regulated to certain degree, so there is not much to worry about anymore in terms of extinction. Japan is all for regulation of whaling and other species as well, but I think other anti-whaling countries may be against whaling regulation, because it will spill over to other species which they are fishing to oblivion. Obviously those fish are not as cute, intelligent, and there is a very good reason to continue fishing them.

2 more points that are frequently brought up by people who have no idea are:

- they are cute
- there is no reason for the Japanese to continue whaling anymore

Those are both very subjective arguments. Surprisingly a large percentage of anti-whalers bring up these points frequently, but I am sure they would be the most vocal if the tables were turned. Basically they are arguing that a small group of people from a specific culture (their`s of course) should determine what the whole world should eat. I guess they think their opinion/culture is superior and should be the one to make this determination, but what if they are not the deciding culture?
post #77 of 162
This reeks of a CE thread.
post #78 of 162
That sea shepherd boat is pretty weak, no guns or lasers, what is the point?
post #79 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector View Post
That sea shepherd boat is pretty weak, no guns or lasers, what is the point?

For real, I mean the thing looked like the Bat-Boat (BatBoatmobile?), It should have grappling hooks or a rocket launcher or something.
post #80 of 162
One would think that a small, light, powerful speedboat would be able to outmaneuver a large lumbering fucking whaling vessel.

It likely takes the whaling ship a minute to make a 90 degree turn. ERGO: The people on the anti-whaling vessel are hippie scumbag terrorists who probably deserve to be ice cubes right now for their stupidity. The whalers are probably fishing illegally, but guess what - when I see someone jaywalking, it doesn't give me free reign to run them down with my car.
post #81 of 162
Is there any sort of legal recourse these green freaks could take on the whalers for the deliberate ramming? I'm relatively ignorant of the law in general and even moreso maritime law.
post #82 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by quevola View Post
Yes you are so provacative - is that what they call cocksuckers nowadays?

Hush bitch...man talk.
post #83 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post
Japanese were against us in WW2. Never forget.
You're of Russian descent, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
One would think that a small, light, powerful speedboat would be able to outmaneuver a large lumbering fucking whaling vessel.

It likely takes the whaling ship a minute to make a 90 degree turn. ERGO: The people on the anti-whaling vessel are hippie scumbag terrorists who probably deserve to be ice cubes right now for their stupidity. The whalers are probably fishing illegally, but guess what - when I see someone jaywalking, it doesn't give me free reign to run them down with my car.
Exactly right. Morons.
post #84 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto86 View Post
I just don't get the point of whaling. It's like purposely being an asshole for no good reason.

didn't you read moby did? its the ultimate masculine sport.
post #85 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
I like whales. (eating them, that is).

It seems anti-whaling is based on 2 main points:

- they are intelligent
- they are near extinct

- Intelligence argument: If you claim that you should not eat intelligent life (whatever that is), then you must also be against eating things like pork, for example. You must also show that there is some special intelligence hierarchy, then draw a line to determine the dumb animals that you are allowed to eat.

- Extinct argument: There are some whale species that are probably near extinct, but others that are not. Regulation would easily solve this. Also, the extinction argument should be spread out over other fish as well. For example, all over the world (including the U.S., and the west) some argue we are starting to fish tuna to extinction. Actually there are numerous fish besides whale that people should be worried about in terms of the extinction argument, because there are not really any regulations. Whale is already regulated to certain degree, so there is not much to worry about anymore in terms of extinction. Japan is all for regulation of whaling and other species as well, but I think other anti-whaling countries may be against whaling regulation, because it will spill over to other species which they are fishing to oblivion. Obviously those fish are not as cute, intelligent, and there is a very good reason to continue fishing them.

2 more points that are frequently brought up by people who have no idea are:

- they are cute
- there is no reason for the Japanese to continue whaling anymore

Those are both very subjective arguments. Surprisingly a large percentage of anti-whalers bring up these points frequently, but I am sure they would be the most vocal if the tables were turned. Basically they are arguing that a small group of people from a specific culture (their`s of course) should determine what the whole world should eat. I guess they think their opinion/culture is superior and should be the one to make this determination, but what if they are not the deciding culture?

good post.

The only non-hypocritical argument against whaling would be a vegetarian who does not eat eggs, fish, or any meat at all. At least they would be consistent in their protests.
post #86 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by quevola View Post
I'm just saying that whales are awesome, intelligent creatures


pigs are very friendly, very intelligent animals, too

[quote]

that are vital to our ecosystem

[/quote

how, exactly, are they vital to our ecosystem? seriously, I don't think that you know what you are talking about. animals, plants, things that are low on the food chain can be vital to the ecosystem, other things depend on them. in nature, what eats whales? what vital service to the ecosystem do whales do?


Quote:
and there is no need in 2010 for the Japan, Norway, Iceland, etc. to hunt these animals.

well, those puppies don't just jump out of the water onto the plate, do they. if you don't hunt them you can't eat them.
post #87 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
how, exactly, are they vital to our ecosystem? seriously, I don't think that you know what you are talking about. animals, plants, things that are low on the food chain can be vital to the ecosystem, other things depend on them. in nature, what eats whales? what vital service to the ecosystem do whales do?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_species http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-dow...ign#Ecological He may or may not know what he is talking about, but he is not necessarily wrong.
post #88 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector View Post
That sea shepherd boat is pretty weak, no guns or lasers, what is the point?

No lasers you say?



I like whales just fine and think killing them is sad (except for certain indigenous tribes etc). However the Sea Shepherd people are such monumental idiots that they have me rooting for the whalers. If you watch the video is is pretty clear they drive their flimsy batmoboat right into the path of the considerably larger whaling ship. The Whale Wars show is wonderful if you like seeing whiny hippies almost getting themselves killed. Which I do. That said, I would prefer industrial scaled whaling was prohibited and enforced.

New video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rar9zxH1kts
post #89 of 162
The Sea Shepherd first claimed their speedboat, Ady Gil, was purposely rammed by the Shonan Maru 2 while stationary in the water. Hmmm interesting claim especially when the telltale wakes in videos released by both the Japanese and Sea Shepherd Society indicate otherwise. In a telephone interview with a TV news station, Paul Watson, then claimed the Ady Gil was in reverse. Again, the videos show the Ady Gil moving forward. The top speed of the Ady Gil is 45 knots or 52 mph. The top speed of the Shonan Maru 2 is 12 knots or about 14 mph. If one really understands the capabilities of each ship, it is very difficult to comprehend how the Shonan Maru 2 would be able to launch an "unprovoked" ramming of the much more quicker and agile Ady Gil. It's more likely the captain of the Ady Gil either deliberately crashed his vessel in an attempt to gain public sympathy or he grossly miscalculated an attempt to make a run just before the bow of the larger ship. There was a time when the antics of the Sea Shepherd won fans with their unarmed semi-suicidal tactics using Zodiacs. However, by attacking the Japanese with green lasers and butyric acid bombs, they've clearly slipped into the eco-terrorist zone. And, the Ady Gil already has a "history" of killing innocent people .. when it was known as the Earthrace, it collided with a Guatemalan fishing boat leaving one man dead and another seriously crippled. "High-powered lawyers" (the captain's own words) and large amount of under the table money got the crew off scot-free. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10429738 If these eco-versions of Somalian pirates ever attacked a US vessel under similar circumstances, we'd probably expect the crew to fire back with live ammunition. None of the kid glove treatment that the Japanese seem to be using until now. It makes me think one of the reasons the Sea Shepherd and other anti-whaling organizations have been focusing only on the Japanese and not the Icelanders and Norwegians is hypocrisy. Scandinavians with their dashing good looks are admittedly difficult to vilify. Plus, their whalers are probably more likely to retaliate with automatic weapons fire the moment their ships are attacked. Good old Viking spirit!
post #90 of 162
Whale taste is nothing special. That's all I have to add.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Sea Shepherd's new boat vs Japanese Whalers