or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How much wear do you get out of leather soles?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How much wear do you get out of leather soles?

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
Since this topic comes up a bit, I'd like to do a little academic analysis on the matter. The end goal is to make a rudimentary database that will allow one to query expected sole life based on a few factors. I need data from SF first, though, and I'll start by providing my own. If you like this idea and want to run with it please provide a complete set of your own data, identically formated.

Pairs of regularly worn dress shoes in M-F rotation: 7
Approx. miles walked on pavement each work day: 1.5
Approx. body weight: 170
Typical life of leather sole: 12 months

Your turn. The more people that reply, the more accurate the results/tool will be.
post #2 of 50
Interesting question but some people wear their shoes a lot harder - hard footstrike, etc. Walking surface would also be a factor - tile versus concrete, etc.
post #3 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Louche View Post
Since this topic comes up a bit, I'd like to do a little academic analysis on the matter. The end goal is to make a rudimentary database that will allow one to query expected sole life based on a few factors. I need data from SF first, though, and I'll start by providing my own. If you like this idea and want to run with it please provide a complete set of your own data, identically formated.

Pairs of regularly worn dress shoes in M-F rotation: 7
Approx. miles walked on pavement each work day: 1.5
Approx. body weight: 170
Typical life of leather sole: 12 months

Your turn. The more people that reply, the more accurate the results/tool will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unjung View Post
Interesting question but some people wear their shoes a lot harder - hard footstrike, etc. Walking surface would also be a factor - tile versus concrete, etc.

I know that there are other factors here - gait, taps, toppies, etc. Unfortunately we just can't account for those.

I'm simply looking to make the most of the basic data we can collect.
post #4 of 50
I haven't resoled a shoe in the last 4 or 5 years. I just have too many of them.
post #5 of 50
Thread Starter 
^ Mind providing the data like I asked for above? If enough people respond, we can at least get a forum average. I'm just curious.
post #6 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Louche View Post
Since this topic comes up a bit, I'd like to do a little academic analysis on the matter. The end goal is to make a rudimentary database that will allow one to query expected sole life based on a few factors. I need data from SF first, though, and I'll start by providing my own. If you like this idea and want to run with it please provide a complete set of your own data, identically formated.

Pairs of regularly worn dress shoes in M-F rotation: 7
Approx. miles walked on pavement each work day: 1.5
Approx. body weight: 170
Typical life of leather sole: 12 months

Your turn. The more people that reply, the more accurate the results/tool will be.

I get about six months wearing a pair around two days a week. Of course, one day of snow and road grit rips them to shreds very quickly. Unfortunately.
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Louche View Post
^ Mind providing the data like I asked for above? If enough people respond, we can at least get a forum average. I'm just curious.

Pairs of regularly worn dress shoes in M-F rotation: c. 40
Approx. miles walked on pavement each work day: 1
Approx. body weight: 200
Typical life of leather sole: undetermined
post #8 of 50
A quick BOTE calc tells me The Louche is getting about 50 miles of pavement walking before needing a resole. That seems rather low. If a typical resole is $100 that's $2/mile, or about $3/day for the privilege of using the shoes above and beyond their purchase price.

I'm relatively new to the leather sole shoe thing so I have no real data to contribute. With 3 shoes in the rotation though for the past few months, and maybe 1.5 miles/day (roughly 20 miles for each shoe) they show little in the way of wear. I'm 130 lbs.
post #9 of 50
I've never had leather soles to wear out that I can remember.
post #10 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
I've never had leather soles to wear out that I can remember.

+1, but if I only had 2 pairs of shoes I rotated I guess they would wear out after 1 or 2 years.
post #11 of 50
Pairs of regularly worn dress shoes in M-F rotation: 16
Approx. miles walked on pavement each work day: 2.0-2.5
Approx. body weight: 210
Typical life of leather sole: 24+ months, haven't resoled any in over 2 years.
post #12 of 50


Church's Shannons, purchased new in 1986.

Still on the original double sole.


- B
post #13 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post

Church's Shannons, purchased new in 1986.

Still on the original double sole.


- B


You are an outlier. Don't distort the statistics!

With your shoe rotation, I doubt if you have to *ever* resole a pair.

(lovely shoes though, I need a pair of black PTBs)
post #14 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by srivats View Post
You are an outlier. Don't distort the statistics!

With your shoe rotation, I doubt if you have to *ever* resole a pair.

(lovely shoes though, I need a pair of black PTBs)

Shannons are corrected grain Binder (Bookbinder back then,) so it is an excellent perversion.


- B
post #15 of 50
Somewhat off topic, but I have a pair of RM Williams Turnouts that need to be resoled. Approximately how much should I expect to pay at a local cobbler?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How much wear do you get out of leather soles?