or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › New Shell Cordovan Shoes and Heel Pain - Now Known as Haglund's Deformity
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Shell Cordovan Shoes and Heel Pain - Now Known as Haglund's Deformity - Page 3

post #31 of 51
Furo, I had haglunds and I had surgery in December of 2006 to correct the defmormity. Surgery was painful and the recovery was quite long. I could not touch the ground without some level of pain for 6 mos. afterwards. However, despite everything, I would do the surgery again in a heartbeat. Previously, I could not wear regular shoes because the pain had become so bad and slip on / loafers were completely out of the question. Slips ons require some heel pinch to stay on. Do not fear the surgery just make sure you get a compotent doc and you will be fine.
post #32 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
Furo, I had haglunds and I had surgery in December of 2006 to correct the defmormity. Surgery was painful and the recovery was quite long. I could not touch the ground without some level of pain for 6 mos. afterwards. However, despite everything, I would do the surgery again in a heartbeat. Previously, I could not wear regular shoes because the pain had become so bad and slip on / loafers were completely out of the question. Slips ons require some heel pinch to stay on. Do not fear the surgery just make sure you get a compotent doc and you will be fine.

Interesting, but good to hear your surgery went well.

I don't think my problem requires anything drastic yet, but I'm hoping I can fix it before that stage comes along.

Did your problem become progressively worse due to ignoring it for some time without treatment?

In other words, did you take steps prior to surgery that made it any better or worse?
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post
Interesting, but good to hear your surgery went well.

I don't think my problem requires anything drastic yet, but I'm hoping I can fix it before that stage comes along.

Did your problem become progressively worse due to ignoring it for some time without treatment?

In other words, did you take steps prior to surgery that made it any better or worse?

No my problem was a congenital defect which Haglunds often is exacerbated by running and excercise. Haglunds will not go away on its own, however, you can position your foot in a shoe to alleviate the pain caused by the deformity and the inflamation it creates. I believe you will find that true Haglands requires surgery to eliminate. They slice off a nice big chunk of your bone and, in some cases, (where the achiles has been damaged) screw it down to secure it. The pain is quite exquisite.
post #34 of 51
I have six pair of Alden cordovan shoes, all Barre last, all double soled. I wear 9.5D, but there is always a bit of play in the heel when the shoes are brand new. It takes a few days for the double sole to break in and then the shoes always snug up perfectly. If the heels fit snug when they are new, I suspect they might snug up too much as the soles break in. I wonder if that happened in your case?
post #35 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stax View Post
I have six pair of Alden cordovan shoes, all Barre last, all double soled. I wear 9.5D, but there is always a bit of play in the heel when the shoes are brand new. It takes a few days for the double sole to break in and then the shoes always snug up perfectly. If the heels fit snug when they are new, I suspect they might snug up too much as the soles break in. I wonder if that happened in your case?


They slipped a lot in the heels the very first day I wore them but then as you stated, seemed to fit much better the next few times. The day that caused all this pain was probably the 5th or 6th time I'd worn them (although never with that much distance walked in a single day).

I'm probably going to be waiting at least a couple months if not longer to try them again, and need to wait for the inflammation in the heel to go away. It's now starting to bother me even in running shoes when I do my boxing workout, so today I'm going to tape a cotton ball to the heel.

Here's an interesting answer I got from another forum that mentioned this bump on the heel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L
My 'tip over' moment was a long flight last Christmas 2008. Took my dress shoes off of on the flight, my feet swelled up, put the shoes on at LAX, then spent the day walking and I ended up in the same situation with my left foot. Could not wear dress/work shoes for very long, started wearing sandal on left foot to work, that does not go over very well for long. Yes, you can run and work out (I wore 2 pairs of socks and got slightly larger tennis shoes) somewhat pain free, but it will never get better. Sorry to say, once you get it overly aggravated, it is too late. After struggling for another year I finally got the surgery in November - so far so good but the recovery is long. Better to get it done early as the smaller the bump, the less the Achilles is involved. I wish I would have had mine done years ago.
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post
They slipped a lot in the heels the very first day I wore them but then as you stated, seemed to fit much better the next few times. The day that caused all this pain was probably the 5th or 6th time I'd worn them (although never with that much distance walked in a single day).

I'm probably going to be waiting at least a couple months if not longer to try them again, and need to wait for the inflammation in the heel to go away. It's now starting to bother me even in running shoes when I do my boxing workout, so today I'm going to tape a cotton ball to the heel.

Here's an interesting answer I got from another forum that mentioned this bump on the heel:

furo - I would say that is exactly my point above. Don't fear the surgery--better to get it done earlier rather than later. If you already are in pain it is likely to get worse. Get to a good ortho.
post #37 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
furo - I would say that is exactly my point above. Don't fear the surgery--better to get it done earlier rather than later. If you already are in pain it is likely to get worse. Get to a good ortho.

I saw the doc yesterday and he told me I'm not an ideal candidate for surgery based on the xray and diagnosis. He recommened a heel pad to let the inflammation die down, along with an anti-inflammatory he prescribed me.

So today I ordered this heel pad that can be washed and worn with any shoe. I'm hoping it helps since I am starting to feel some rubbing in my running shoes now when I do my boxing workouts. With any luck this pad might even allow me to wear dress shoes again while the healing process is taking place.
post #38 of 51
Wow, that's rough. You have my sympathies, sir. I hope it heals up for you.
post #39 of 51
This thread made me
Good Luck! I hope everything works out for you.
post #40 of 51
Furo, I wish you well. I had something similar a few years ago and was diagnosed by a podiatrist as having a heel spur. The surgery, as he described it, sounded horrendous and would have sidelined me from driving for a month or so. Anyway, it resolved after less than a year ( and after a steroid shot). In the meantime, I wore Rockports and softer Johnson & Murphys and Moscolonis and such and it wasn't too bad. Hang in there.
post #41 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Furo, I wish you well. I had something similar a few years ago and was diagnosed by a podiatrist as having a heel spur. The surgery, as he described it, sounded horrendous and would have sidelined me from driving for a month or so. Anyway, it resolved after less than a year ( and after a steroid shot). In the meantime, I wore Rockports and softer Johnson & Murphys and Moscolonis and such and it wasn't too bad. Hang in there.

I just spoke to a guy in the office yesterday who had a heel spur. He said it got so bad he couldn't walk. He also got the steroid shot and recovered very quickly.

For the time being I'm restricting my foot wear to the shoes that don't rub the heel on that spot, which mainly consists of my running shoes for boxing, and my Clark's for work.

Luckily I can see some of the swelling in the bursa sac starting to recede, so I'm optimistic about avoiding surgery
post #42 of 51
bumping this b/c i might be experiencing the same problem. Wore some shells a few days and started getting pain in the back of my heel, more on the inner side, on my right foot. I'm wearing just regular calf shoes now and the problem seems to be oging away a bit, but still not 100% gone. Furo, any updates? Did you get the surgery or has the pain gone away?
post #43 of 51
Bringing this back from the dead.

Anyone ever have success getting the heel counters in their shoes modified to accommodate their Haglund bumps? I'm sick of dealing with the pain/blisters, but want some solution other than surgery.
post #44 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by REguy View Post

Bringing this back from the dead.
Anyone ever have success getting the heel counters in their shoes modified to accommodate their Haglund bumps? I'm sick of dealing with the pain/blisters, but want some solution other than surgery.

I don't have the bumps, but I do have a bit of heel pain when I walk in a particular pair of my Aldens for a long time. This only started to happen in recent months, and only with one pair - my cigar shell longwings.
post #45 of 51
I recently experienced this pain after wearing a pair of Carminas for an extended period of time. This was after they had already been worn a dozen times (shorter periods with less walking) with no discomfort. I believe it can happen with any shoe worn & walked in for a protracted period of time in one shot. Combine that with foot swelling and less than ideal socks and you could end up with blisters.

You may wish to try those donut looking inserts they sell for bunions. Worked wonders for me when I once had a bad sore spot from some ill-fitting shoes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › New Shell Cordovan Shoes and Heel Pain - Now Known as Haglund's Deformity