• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit - best value suit and where to buy

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new suit. I need to know the best quality suit at an affordable price. I don't want to buy off the internet or go to search through outlet stores and try to get lucky. I prefer a retailer that has the suit readily available. The suit can be $100 dollars or if I get more bang for the buck it can be as much a $500. The price can be the retail price or the sale price the suit is commonly on sale for. I need to know the price, the store, and the brand/line of the suit. Thanks for the help!

rgoldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thisguyneedsasuit
I am in the market for a new suit. I need to know the best quality suit at an affordable price. I don't want to buy off the internet or go to search through outlet stores and try to get lucky. I prefer a retailer that has the suit readily available. The suit can be $100 dollars or if I get more bang for the buck it can be as much a $500. The price can be the retail price or the sale price the suit is commonly on sale for. I need to know the price, the store, and the brand/line of the suit. Thanks for the help!
Syms. I bought 2 Jones New York two button, two piece affairs for 100 bucks total (Thats 50 dollars a suit) just the other day (needed to fortify the work rotation). Clearance rack is yore friend. Not incredible quality but certainly great for the price. Even their full price suits are a great value. Alterations are free if you buy 2 or more suits. That or the Men's Wearhouse. If you just need a solid suit either will work. For a little more high line stuff try Brooks Bros. Great traditional cuts usually under 1000 bucks. Jos. A Bank is good for the working guy, but if you're looking for really fashionable stuff you'll be letdown. Even Macy's carries surprisingly nice stuff if you're willing to spend a little money.

Reaction score
DavidinGray;2806163 said:
Well, this is new.

DIG[/QUOTE
Yeah, sorry about that. I realize it isn't new, but I thoroughly searched the forum and didn't find the answer I was looking for. If anyone has any links to other threads they think would be helpful I would appreciate it if you posted those.

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. What lines/brands would you recommend at Joseph A Bank for Macy's?

racknac

Reaction score
I would go to a Brooks Brothers Outlet store.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huntsman. SF's value king. Fittings are occasionally offered on B&S.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Used. Period.

After alterations, you can get an Oxxford for under $300. Try and tell me you can find a better deal than that. That Oxxford is going to outlast any fused POS you can get at MW, Macy's, Dillard's, JAB, etc, etc.

Yes, its used; so if you have some stigma against used clothing your SOL. Go buy new stuff and pay the retailers their huge cut. Best value for your money is probably ebay. I hear Wizard of Aaahs's stuff is great for the price. Fully canvassed w/ pick stitching (prolly machine) for under $300? Pretty darn good.

edit:

Didn't read closely enough. Probably due to alcohol consumption.

Your not going to get a good bang for your dollar if your going to pay retail. Wait for a Joseph A Banks sale and get one of their Executive suits. Thats probably the cheapest and best way to get A suit.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
If you want to spend $5000+ for a suit and wait 6 month to a year, then go for Huntsman or Rubinacci as some have mentioned here.

OP doesn't want to order from the internet, so Wizard of Aahhs probably would not help him.

Syms, Macys and JosABank may be a start for your budget. Brooks Brothers will be a step up in terms of quality if you don't mind spending a little extra.

For your price range, I would see if you can find a hart schaffner marx suit on sale either at Syms or Dilliards. They are made in the USA and although they are going to be fused unless it is from the Gold Trumper line, it will probably be better than most other suits in that price range. However their cut is fairly boxy to accomodate the average American.

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the information so far. As I read more I understand that JAB, BB, and others suit with retail prices of less then $500 are not the best, but I think I can find a suit in the range and be better dressed then most people. What price range is a good sale price for a JAB signature gold or a BB suit? BB currently has numberous suits on sale for 499.

Chim12

Reaction score
Depending on where you live you can also do quite well at Marshalls or Filenes Basement, lots of sales taking place and they get a good mix that includes some Hickey and HSM.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thisguyneedsasuit
Thanks for all of the information so far. As I read more I understand that JAB, BB, and others suit with retail prices of less then $500 are not the best, but I think I can find a suit in the range and be better dressed then most people. What price range is a good sale price for a JAB signature gold or a BB suit? BB currently has numberous suits on sale for 499.
Please do not put BB and JAB in the same category. BB is leagues above JAB and has far superior material, worksmanship, and tradition of excellence to back it up (all the way up to customer service). That is a good deal for a BB suit if not quite a steal. If you're younger you may want to look into the Black Fleece line, but that is significantly pricier. If i'm buying straight from a brick and mortar store, Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren are all I consider. Above those are MTM or bespoke, but below those are generally mediocrity. In America at least. edit: Oh Hickey Freeman is good too but better to go through a discount store for those

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads