or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit - best value suit and where to buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suit - best value suit and where to buy - Page 3

post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersan7 View Post
Many people on SF seem to like to rip JAB. Fwiw, my pop owned Armani, Barberi and other nice suits, ran a 3,000 person company that went public on Wall St. and later sold his shares to make a large bundle and he has said 5 times he thinks JAB suits are good and thinks the people attacking them on here are full of it.

My brother lives in Park Slope, a pricey neighborhood in Brooklyn and makes maybe $400k a year and he told me today he's bought every suit the last 18 years at JAB, and that he knows bankers in NYC and others who buy suits there. He just bought 2 there last year and he does the mid-range ones and not the Gold. He has to meet with some fairly important folks occasionally and he's extremely successful.

Making a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean one knows the first thing about suits. There are plenty of multi-millionaires who dress like shit.
post #32 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post
Making a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean one knows the first thing about suits. There are plenty of multi-millionaires who dress like shit.

QFT.
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post
Making a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean one knows the first thing about suits. There are plenty of multi-millionaires who dress like shit.

QFT.

In today's world, looking your best usually just means dressing better than the slob on the street. Walking around the city I hardly see anyone who even looks like they give a shit about how they look. Well, unless looking like a gansta or goth is considered looking good.
post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post
Making a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean one knows the first thing about suits. There are plenty of multi-millionaires who dress like shit.

But they sure have a lot of monies to buy quality shit.
post #35 of 56
Basically, just get something that fits, no matter where you buy it. JAB is perfectly good suiting. Plenty of stylish, affluent people shop there. You don't even have to spend 1000 bucks to get a solid suit. This message board's threshold of "crap" is much, much higher than your average well dressed dude. There's absolutely no shame in buying from JAB, and yeah they generally have some sick-ass sale going on. 3 Suits for 400 bucks? I don't give a shit who you are. Thats a damn good deal.
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumdawgbillionaire View Post
But they sure have a lot of monies to buy quality shit.

But first they have to know how to tell which stuff is quality. Expensive does not always mean quality.
post #37 of 56
To answer the OP's question, I think Samuelsohn delivers the most bang for the buck. First, their price points are within reason of the ordinary man. Many of you have recommended Huntsman, Rubinacci, etc. I understand your sentiments, but that's a bespoke option and not within reach of 99.99% of men who wish to buy a suit.

Of the affordable options, Samuelsohn stands alone in my mind for delivering quality construction, style, and affordable price points.
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoldstein View Post
Basically, just get something that fits, no matter where you buy it.

JAB is perfectly good suiting. Plenty of stylish, affluent people shop there. You don't even have to spend 1000 bucks to get a solid suit. This message board's threshold of "crap" is much, much higher than your average well dressed dude. There's absolutely no shame in buying from JAB, and yeah they generally have some sick-ass sale going on. 3 Suits for 400 bucks? I don't give a shit who you are. Thats a damn good deal.

I bought 3x Hickey Freeman fully canvassed suits for less than that. JAB cannot beat that. Of course, they were used, but I don't care.

However, if I was truly patient, I can nab NWT Hickey Freeman, Joseph Aboud, Boss, Burberry, HSM suits for $100. I'm not that patient, nor do I want to deal with them not having my size or color.

JAB is only cheap if you want the retail experience. If your willing to go clearance diving, you can get much much better for the same price.
post #39 of 56
Thread Starter 
I don't have the patience to to search the clearance racks. Once I need more then one suit and learn more about suits in general I will start looking at used. I think I have decided on BB or Ralph Lauren if I can get them around $500.
Would this shoe be appropriate for an interview?
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...ategory=120552
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguyneedsasuit View Post
I don't have the patience to to search the clearance racks. Once I need more then one suit and learn more about suits in general I will start looking at used. I think I have decided on BB or Ralph Lauren if I can get them around $500.
Would this shoe be appropriate for an interview?
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...ategory=120552

That shoe is ok, but not ideal.

Better yet is is this in black..
post #41 of 56
Thread Starter 
Thanks. The shoe you posted is the other shoe I was considering. I do feel it is more appropriate. I like that shoe, but it is a little boring to me. Since the first purpose of the shoe is interviews I may just have to go with it even though the other shoe (delray) fits my style better.
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguyneedsasuit View Post
Thanks. The shoe you posted is the other shoe I was considering. I do feel it is more appropriate. I like that shoe, but it is a little boring to me. Since the first purpose of the shoe is interviews I may just have to go with it even though the other shoe (delray) fits my style better.

The Park Ave is a more formal shoe. Its an oxford/balmoral suitable for town wear/business/more formal wear. The Del Ray is more your style because it is a blucher. Its more informal. The difference is the open throat front over the instep. Aka, how the leather with the holes is attached.

However, only your fellow style snobs even know the difference.

The only thing an interviewer may notice is that the toe on the Del Ray has a seam running down the middle. And depending on how well versed he/she is with men's shoes... Well, you get the idea.
post #43 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by luftvier View Post
Link (sorta).

Polo suits are the same in outlets as retail.

Polo suits are not sold in outlets. Lauren suits are sold in the outlet stores, at the same price as in Macy's and Lord & Taylor.
post #44 of 56
I checked out some of BB suite's online. What can one expect to pay for altering? Just trying to get the whole picture. Thanks.
post #45 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie5566 View Post
I checked out some of BB suite's online. What can one expect to pay for altering? Just trying to get the whole picture. Thanks.

Jacket waist suppression: $18-50
Shorten the sleeves: $10-25
Shorten pants: same as sleeves
Pant waist: $10-25


Prices depend on how many tailors there are in your city and how busy that particular tailor is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit - best value suit and where to buy