or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blu-Ray - Page 5

post #61 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
If the PS3 were a hundred bucks cheaper, would it make a difference? We are about to find out. $100 price drop on July 12th. $499... which includes five free blu-ray movies. Anyone? Opinions?
Nope, not yet, at least according to this article. It may just be a Circuit city thing. Either way, still not worth it. $500 for a system with no more than two games i'm interested in playing
post #62 of 84
toshiba just did a permanent price-drop to 300 on a couple models, plus the free movies. This competition thing is great for consumers but i wish it would just end fast so that movies start volume production and prices come down.
post #63 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
toshiba just did a permanent price-drop to 300 on a couple models, plus the free movies. This competition thing is great for consumers but i wish it would just end fast so that movies start volume production and prices come down.

I agree but you know it's only a matter of time (Thanksgiving-Christmas) before prices go down faster than you on Conne.
post #64 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
If the PS3 were a hundred bucks cheaper, would it make a difference?

We are about to find out. $100 price drop on July 12th.

$499... which includes five free blu-ray movies.


Anyone?

Opinions?

Has this been confirmed? I just read this.

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/new...a-283451-1.xml

If they do drop the price Im not sure it would be so significant from a global perspective. Arnt they charging more in EU and Australia for inferior hardware(software based PS2 emulation instead of hardware)?

To go off an a tangent here, I think the importance of Japanese games have been reduced in recent years. They dont have any of the muscle they had 8-10 years ago. Plus all the big companies just went to shit. SquareEnix, Sega, Capcom, Konomi(sans Kojima of course) ect... It's so frustrating becuase I use to love them so much. Back in the late 90's I would have all my systems moded, import games, read tons of japanese related news sites, and even snuck into E3 when I was 14.

They just aren't evolving. So many of the Japanese games play just like PS1 games with better graphics. Wii is the obvious exception to this, but take for example a big name Japanese title like Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Its great, and its extremely polished, but its the same old same old, and it's never going to change. RPGs are another thing. I think Japanese RPGs are being eaten alive by games like KOTOR and Oblivion. Whats the big RPG they put out in recent memory? Dragon Quest VII? It's a dam good game, but there is little different from anything you could find on SNES. The only progression that can be said for it is that of 2D to 3D. So many franchises are like this. I'll pick on Capcom especially for this one. Take Mega Man. They rehashed the same game for over a decade and milked it for all its worth, but then there was hope. Mega Man was finaly going to be in 3D with Mega Man Legends. The game was awesome, then they rushed a half assed sequel out, and just killed the whole idea. Haven't seen anything like that since. If you want a great example of a franchise being reborn for a new generation look no further than Metroid, but of course that was outsourced to America.

And don't even get me started on MMOs. If there is one thing I thought not only Japanese companies, but Koreans as well would be good at, then it would be MMOs, but Japanese companies don't even seem to care about making them, and Korean companies put out MMOs that have the same problems and mediocrity as American MMOs had in the mid 90's.

They are just so far behind the times, and the worst expression of this we have today is Sony's handling of the PS3.
post #65 of 84
ya slim the ps3 is far from a personal supercomputer. It's also a bitch to program for. It will take people quite some time to write really good code for it. MS as usual did a great job with the sdk for the xbox360.
post #66 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
ya slim the ps3 is far from a personal supercomputer. It's also a bitch to program for. It will take people quite some time to write really good code for it. MS as usual did a great job with the sdk for the xbox360.
Yeah, except that according to some recent reports as many as 33% of the current Euro Xbox 360's are bricking out of the box, scratching the hell out of the disks, and aren't being covered under warranty. The US models aren't much better, are prone to overheating, have media drives that sound like jets spooling up, and XB Live updates still red-ring of death consoles on occasion. They may have some great games, but if your console toasts itself, your account gets hacked, or a software update locks up the Xbox, you can't play any of those great games can you? There will be at least ONE must have game by the end of the year. I promise. And Sony saying that it has "no plans" to drop the price is your typical corporate smokescreen. Sony does this all the time.
post #67 of 84
hey buy the ps3 if you want it. i have neither and don't really care either way. it'll take a lot more work to get really great running/pretty games out of the ps3 than the xbos though. pretty much every dev in the world agrees on this. that's probably a big reason why ffxiii won't release till late next year.
post #68 of 84
Sony just announce PS3 price dropped to $500, but a new model with 80G will be introduced at $600:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/09/business/09sony.html
post #69 of 84
Amazon.com sales of PS3's just spiked 2600% in the last 24 hours, now outselling both the Wii and the 360. http://www.amazon.com/gp/movers-and-shakers/videogames
post #70 of 84
Trying to revive a year-long discussion...
Any new thoughts on Blu-ray disc/players recently? I'm trying to spring for a blu-ray player after seeing the difference between DVD and Blu-ray formats, but the prices are pretty steep. One thing I noticed is that the Sony Blu-Ray player takes a long time to startup and load a disc. How's the startup/loading time on a PS3?
post #71 of 84
PS3 load time is pretty decent. I think that it is the best BD player you can get right now especially if you have a surround prepro or receiver that can accept HDMI 5.1 PCM inputs.

--Andre
post #72 of 84
I'm really upset that FFXIII and FFXIII versus will be ps3 exclusives. I have yet to by a next gen system because i'm only in it for the games and there aren't enough games on either system to justify purchasing yet. I have DS at the moment and it's worth hanging on to for me. The new Zelda game is a lot of fun. Dragon Quest IX is coming out in the next year on it, and a full 3d and storyline remake of FFIV comes out in japan soon and in the US probably next year. I'm going to shit my pants when it comes out. I'm still not sure what to do about next gen gaming.
post #73 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoaug View Post
I'm really upset that FFXIII and FFXIII versus will be ps3 exclusives. I have yet to by a next gen system because i'm only in it for the games and there aren't enough games on either system to justify purchasing yet. I have DS at the moment and it's worth hanging on to for me. The new Zelda game is a lot of fun. Dragon Quest IX is coming out in the next year on it, and a full 3d and storyline remake of FFIV comes out in japan soon and in the US probably next year. I'm going to shit my pants when it comes out. I'm still not sure what to do about next gen gaming.
I am probably getting both. Already have the Xbox360, am probably getting the ps3 by Christmas.
post #74 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
I am probably getting both. Already have the Xbox360, am probably getting the ps3 by Christmas.

Wow. I really thought from some of your posts that you would have only a PS3, a 1080p HDTV and a crucified xbox with three bloody rings on a dark altar in your room...

In any event, all platforms can enjoy the orgasmic double-barreled blast of next-gen bliss that will be Assassin's Creed.
post #75 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto86 View Post
Wow. I really thought from some of your posts that you would have only a PS3, a 1080p HDTV and a crucified xbox with three bloody rings on a dark altar in your room... In any event, all platforms can enjoy the orgasmic double-barreled blast of next-gen bliss that will be Assassin's Creed.
My shame as a Sony fanboy is exposed! Not only was the first Next-Gen console I purchased a WreXbox 360, but I don't even own a 1080p Bravia television! I have a 42" Philips! Are you going to take away my Sony Defense Corps liscence? How much (if at all) do you think the severe compression of the game to shoehorn it onto the DVD9 Xbox360 disk will affect Assassins Creed? GTA4 is having serious issues fitting as well I hear.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home