or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Rules for Sweaters or Sweater Vests With Business Suits
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rules for Sweaters or Sweater Vests With Business Suits - Page 2

post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenkin View Post
To stay warm. Are you so worried about people assuming you aren't wearing a tie that you need to cut a v-shaped hole out of your sweater to drive the point home?

You can always do the Agnelli tie outside the sweater instead
post #17 of 35
I don't know that there are any set in stones rules but I reccomend that you only wear v necks with suits even if theres no tie. Plain colors and modest patterns are also best especially when worn in a bisnuess setting. Also make sure since sweaters fit fuller in the midsection that you have enough room in the body of the coat so you don't distort the fit or the jacket when wearing one.
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKTenor View Post
You can always do the Agnelli tie outside the sweater instead

Absloutley not, never wear the tie outside of the vest.
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenkin View Post
Anyone who takes off their tie anytime they get cold & require a sweater is a masochist. If you want to talk about how lapels or collars or underpants are just societal conventions then there are other fora where you will find easy validation.

No dice. Unless the crew-neck completely conceals the tie, which is generally not the case, you're going to look like a dork. Get some v-necks if you need to wear sweaters at the office.
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtielover View Post
I don't know that there are any set in stones rules but I reccomend that you only wear v necks with suits even if theres no tie. Plain colors and modest patterns are also best especially when worn in a bisnuess setting. Also make sure since sweaters fit fuller in the midsection that you have enough room in the body of the coat so you don't distort the fit or the jacket when wearing one.

+1. The V-neck is best and one that's a bit on the snug side or with a suit thats notslim fitting or you're going to look like you have a spare tire swimming around your waist. Might even go down a size for the sweater or go with a vest if you plan on keeping the jacket on all day.
post #21 of 35
Uggh... the Jon Corzine look. I really can't stand v-necks with a tie, (actually, I really just don't tend to like v-necks.)




A button up vest, on the other hand, can be a great look. And while I don't tend to do the crewneck with a tie, there's nothing wrong with that.
post #22 of 35
The defense rests.
post #23 of 35
^^^Yes, a terrific example of it being worn well.
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsaber View Post
Anyone who wears a crew-neck sweater with a tie is a fucking idiot.

Agnelli was an idiot? Of course.
post #25 of 35
How about some thermals? Not as warm perhaps, but it's also out of sight.
post #26 of 35
^^^^ new here...........if your not sure about the sweater, thermals are awesome and warmer than the sweater vest.
Here though is someone who can pull it off



Go Buckeyes!!!!
post #27 of 35
With light weight fabrics it looks awful. With heavy tweeds it looks fine.

But, if it is zero outside and you need to go out, wear whatever keeps you warm.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere View Post


.

This is a very nice look.
post #29 of 35
When wearing a sweater under a suit or sport jacket, are there any "rules" regarding sleeve length?
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post
With light weight fabrics it looks awful. With heavy tweeds it looks fine.

But, if it is zero outside and you need to go out, wear whatever keeps you warm.
Great point, I couldn't agree more. I think sweaters with flannel and tweed suits look good, but not with lighter fabrics.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Rules for Sweaters or Sweater Vests With Business Suits