or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What is worse in Europe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is worse in Europe

post #1 of 173
Thread Starter 
In a prior thread, it was said that some Americans think that everything in Europe is better. I am not one of them. See the following for European deficiencies, IMO:
(1) Strikes!
(2) Lack of ice in drinks
(3) Less air-conditioning
(4) Many Italian trains run late
(5) Lack of shower curtains in France
(6) Many girls need to wash their hair more frequently
(7) Euro-trash look (guys need to shave more often and get out of their uniform of t-shirts, jeans, leather jackets and boots or sneakers)
(8) pick-pockets
(9) noisy scooters
(10) a certain minority group that begs and steals frequently
(11) prices of nearly everything
(12) pay toilettes
(13) Turkish toilets
(14) real showers; not those hand-held things
(15) Uni-sex toilettes
post #2 of 173
How about women who don't shave their legs or pits
post #3 of 173
Feeling lonely, Mr. Pollock?
post #4 of 173
The air conditioning is the biggest thing for me.
post #5 of 173
You left out the ubiquitous dog shit, at least in Paris. Why can't people understand that Paris, c'est chez toi! What about the expansion of Starbucks, fuelled by thoughtless gormless tourists even though the coffee is even more expensive here?
post #6 of 173
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne
Feeling lonely, Mr. Pollock?


I doubt that that is an offer, but if it is, please be advised that I am a happily married man.
If it is what I think it is, be advised that after being virtually banned from the USA by waiter types, present and former, I am trying to also offend everyone on the other side of the pond. I want to simulate Meyer Lansky, or wander forever, like Silas Mariner.
post #7 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman
You left out the ubiquitous dog shit, at least in Paris. Why can't people understand that Paris, c'est chez toi! What about all the American tourists in palace restaurants? And their welfare-cheat leech friends?

The dog poo used to be much worse, I don't think there's much of a ground for complaint any longer, but it does depend on which side of the city you're in. << Apprenez-leur le caniveau >> must have worked after all at some level. Besides, if you step in it, ça porte bonheur.
post #8 of 173
the only thing on your list that really bothers me is the ice - I tell my wife that america was built of 32 ounce fountain drinks full of crushed ice. that sound of ice in the cup? that is the sound of liberty.
post #9 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
I doubt that that is an offer, but if it is, please be advised that I am a happily married man.
If it is what I think it is, be advised that after being virtually banned from the USA by waiter types, present and former, I am trying to also offend everyone on the other side of the pond. I want to simulate Meyer Lansky, or wander forever, like Silas Mariner.

If your goal is to offend the other side of the pond, you need to try much harder.
post #10 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman
You left out the ubiquitous dog shit, at least in Paris. Why can't people understand that Paris, c'est chez toi! What about the expansion of Starbucks, fuelled by thoughtless gormless tourists even though the coffee is even more expensive here?

I think the UWS is a competitor for the ubiquitos dog shit award (as well as certain areas around Washington Heights). Also NYC is too dirty in the summer.

I'd like to add that taxes are higher in Europe. From the news it seems that Europeans are not as accepting of outsiders even after they have been there generations. e.g. Turks in Germany, Arabs in France. *puts on flame retardant suit*
post #11 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter
the only thing on your list that really bothers me is the ice - I tell my wife that america was built of 32 ounce fountain drinks full of crushed ice. that sound of ice in the cup? that is the sound of liberty.

There is a shortage of ice cubes in France. The various concerned ministers are currently examining the situation. And anyway, too many ice cubes will give you a sore throat. And all that crushed ice just a ploy by US businesses to give you more water than actual sodie.
post #12 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne
There is a shortage of ice cubes in France. The various concerned ministers are currently examining the situation. And anyway, too many ice cubes will give you a sore throat. And all that crushed ice just a ploy by US businesses to give you more water than actual sodie.

lol
those are exactly the arguments that Israelis give.

I actually pretty much only drink soda water in europe, and that I drink basically luke warm. but I can go through easily 2 kilos of ice a day in the summer in the states, and 1.5 liters of diet coke. but I always love it when you ask for ice and they give you one little cube. and then you ask for more, and they give you another, and again, and again, and again.....
post #13 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne
Besides, if you step in it, ça porte bonheur.
In that case, everyone in Paris would be a milliardaire.
post #14 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman
In that case, everyone in Paris would be a milliardaire.

That explains it, I've never stepped in it!
post #15 of 173
Another thing -- shortage of good litière agglomérante. What gives? It's really hard to find and the stuff at a lot of stores (Friskies' brand) is terrible!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What is worse in Europe