• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finamore shirt review.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to review on Finamore dress shirt.

Yesterday I received Finamore shirt along with pink/white Barba shirt (BEAUTIFUL..) from Ian, ShopTheFinest.

I love finamore's fit. It fits litterally perfect on my body. Waist suppression is great. I have not seen this much of waist suppression in other RTW dress shirts.

The sleeveholes, button attachment, and gasket are finished with hands, all other seams were finished with single needle machine stitchings.

It is still a very high quality shirt and has that youthful vibe IMO. It you are looking for elegant slim fitted shirt, look for Finamore.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am considering getting a Finamore for my next shirt purchase...

I just bought some Barba shirts for the first time (very good fit...but so-so quality) and was wondering if you could compare the two (and maybe compare to other shirts you have) in more depth.

I am especially interested in the collar height/shape...if you could elaborate I would much appreciate.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So-so quality of Barba shirt???? That's the first time I've ever heard that said, over many discussions involving shirts. I think most people place them in the same range as Borrelli.

I agree on the Finamore shirt assessment -- they are very nice, and seem to be made in a more colorful array of fabrics.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kabert
So-so quality of Barba shirt???? That's the first time I've ever heard that said, over many discussions involving shirts. I think most people place them in the same range as Borrelli.

I agree on the Finamore shirt assessment -- they are very nice, and seem to be made in a more colorful array of fabrics.

I'm with Kabert on this!

Barba gold label shirts are most definitely on a par with Borrelli. The black label, slightly below. Finamore have several levels of hand finishing with the top of their line being quite close in quality to Borrelli and Barba. Overall, they make an excellent shirt.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been impressed with Barba as well as Finamore, fine fine shirts indeed.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I'm with Kabert on this!

Barba gold label shirts are most definitely on a par with Borrelli. The black label, slightly below. Finamore have several levels of hand finishing with the top of their line being quite close in quality to Borrelli and Barba. Overall, they make an excellent shirt.

Buonamassa is Barba's toplabel and as far as I've heard is a completely handmade shirt. I don't have one, or inspected one for myself so I can't say for sure. Finamore has differing quality labels as well. Ranging from so/so to very well made.

But all in all, Barba (gold label) are my favourite shirts. Attolini is better made, but so much more expensive than I care to spend on a shirt right now.

I just bought two Matuozzo RTW shirts from shopthefinest.com and I love them as well. Best $139 a shirt i've ever spend. Even though there is not that much handwork on them. These shirts make me very curious about matuozzo's 100% handwork/bespoke shirts.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Barba shirt that has black label, but it has an equal amount of handwork as a gold label.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
I have Barba shirt that has black label, but it has an equal amount of handwork as a gold label.

Really? All my black label Barba shirts have machine stitched necks while all the gold are handsewn.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah .. this is an odd one ..

Oh and .. Finamore shirt does not have "puff" on the sleeve heads. But I like those "puff", it makes the shoulders look more mannly ..

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
Yeah .. this is an odd one ..

Oh and .. Finamore shirt does not have "puff" on the sleeve heads. But I like those "puff", it makes the shoulders look more mannly ..

All in all Finamore has a much 'cleaner' look than Barba and Borrelli.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finamores do have the sleevehead puff, but it has to be specified for the shirt.

--Andre

kcc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Finamores do have the sleevehead puff, but it has to be specified for the shirt.

--Andre

Is there a MTM program in the US? Their handmade stuff was < 300 EU in Napoli. Finamore certainly has company longevity on it's side in comparison to the other Neapolitan artisans. Wow, so much to choose from ... Finamore, Barba, Borrelli, Merolla, A. Matuozzo

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcc
Is there a MTM program in the US?

The only source I know of is Domenico Vacca, and they will impose a 6-shirt minimum, so you'll be paying at least $3K for the first order. However, I've heard people say they don't use Finamore anymore, so they may not be able to help you. My shirt was OTR, and had the Neopolitan sleevehead. Vacca carried 3 different models (differing mainly in the slimness of the shirt), and a couple of them had the sleevehead.

Personally, I don't think any of the mainstream OTR Neopolitan shirts are worth full price, and are of variable quality. On my Finamores, a few of the button shankings are unraveling after 1 wash. Ian at Shop The Finest has good prices for them, so that may be a good route to go if you fit their OTR models. And while not a mainstream source, and very expensive, I've been told that Kiton have truly exclusive fabrics (which is very unusual and rare, unlike custom-woven wool for suits), and, like everything else they do, I wouldn't doubt that their construction quality are heads and shoulders above the usual Neopolitan suspects (Borrelli, etc.), so they may be worth checking out.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads