• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clueless dame needs help buying three outfits for my fiance - wedding present!

NatashaKhan

Reaction score
I'm getting married next summer and my fiance is very into men's fashion.

I want to buy him three complete outfits (tie, shirt, pants, belt, shoes, jacket) as wedding gifts. Something he can wear to all the dinner parties we will have to go to once we are married.

As much as I love womens fashion, I don't know how to shop for a man. Though I do know the following:

He likes these brands:
Armani Exchange - Shirts
Club Manaco - Shirts
Coolhaan - Shoes
Thomas Pink - Ties and Shirts
Hugo Boss - Shirts/Pants

Also, his style inspiration is:
Jeremy Piven's character Ari Gold from Entourage

He's a shorter guy, around 5'6, so that has to be considered when buying clothes for him too! He also has a tan complexion.

I would love to find a few great pics to take with me as inspiration when shopping. Though, with the right combination, I'm happy to buy online too!

Someone recommended the following site to me, http://thickasthieveslookbook.blogspot.com/ . It seems like a good start for finding inspiration pics.

Any suggestions for outfits are much appreciated!
worship.gif

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NatashaKhan
I'm getting married next summer and my fiance is very into men's fashion.

I want to buy him three complete outfits (tie, shirt, pants, belt, shoes, jacket) as wedding gifts. Something he can wear to all the dinner parties we will have to go to once we are married.

As much as I love womens fashion, I don't know how to shop for a man. Though I do know the following:

He likes these brands:
Armani Exchange - Shirts
Club Manaco - Shirts
Coolhaan - Shoes
Thomas Pink - Ties and Shirts
Hugo Boss - Shirts/Pants

Also, his style inspiration is:
Jeremy Piven's character Ari Gold from Entourage

He's a shorter guy, around 5'6, so that has to be considered when buying clothes for him too! He also has a tan complexion.

I would love to find a few great pics to take with me as inspiration when shopping. Though, with the right combination, I'm happy to buy online too!

Someone recommended the following site to me, http://thickasthieveslookbook.blogspot.com/ . It seems like a good start for finding inspiration pics.

Any suggestions for outfits are much appreciated!
worship.gif

First off, fashion isn't what should be asked for around here. people here seem to prefer a more timeless men's style. hat being said, props for m being a fan of Thomas pink! Shoes wise, Cole Haan is good, but for American brands, check out allen edmonds or Alden. Classic American footwear right there. Everything brooks brothers has is good as well. Except their denim I guess... Check out Burberry or Oxxford jackets, or Hickey Freeman or J Pressif you want something less English. Once again you cant go wrong with brooks. I would recommend some made to measure shirts as well, depending on your budget look up Alexander Kabbaz.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
You sound like a generous and thoughtful woman. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Having said that, you may get some negative responses on here regarding the brands your fiance currently wears, mainly because many here feel that those name brands are not worth the retail cost. Regardless, if those are brands he likes, then that's what he likes.

You might look at the thread at the begining of the page titled "what are you wearing right now?" It has a lot of photos of all sorts of outfits posted by members of the forum. You may find some good ideas there to work with.

Hope that helps you get started.

EZ

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't comment on all the other brands, but man Coolhaan...that's the real shiz right there.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think one phone call to Paul Jheeta on Savile Row in London will solve your problem.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's very generous of you! I think a great option would be to get him either a full bespoke suit, or a made to measure one and three shirts to go with the suit.

Depending on how he dresses, you can very easily go with a bold pattern underneath the suit. It's not quite the aesthetic of the majority of the forum, as you'll clearly be able to tell. For me, a bold paisley underneath a navy suit with a pocket square pops, especially at a party. That said, it should almost never be worn to work, but is great in a social setting.

So my recommendation would be:

1 custom made navy suit
1 custom made white dress shirt
1 light blue/lilac dress shirt
1 paisley shirt

If you're looking at spend a bit more on top of that, go the made to measure option and buy him a nice pair of shoes, Alden is a great start.

Best of luck! I wish my girlfriend would do something like that for me.

in fits of print

Reaction score
This is very, very dangerous territory. No man, particularly a style-conscious one, wants to be paraded around town dressed head to toe in clothes his wife (particularly one who "doesn't know how to shop for a man") picked out and bought for him. He's not a doll for you to dress up. As a wedding gift I'd advise getting one thing that's just perfect, that will last forever, rather than a whole pile of stuff (get the symbolism here?). A watch, or a flask, or a cigarette case, that sort of thing. Something you can engrave.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting married next summer and my fiance is very into men's fashion. I want to buy him three complete outfits (tie, shirt, pants, belt, shoes, jacket) as wedding gifts. Something he can wear to all the dinner parties we will have to go to once we are married. . . . Also, his style inspiration is: Jeremy Piven's character Ari Gold from Entourage
It's best if you don't focus on "outfits." As much as women's fashion is based around this concept, men's clothing should be based on the utility of each individual piece's ability to pair with other pieces in the collection. E.g., while a woman might pick out a top, skirt, accessory that look best with one another, a man should have staple colors in shirts, ties, and suits that are completely interchangeable and each look fantastic together. Your best option, rather than purchasing expensive brand names items of dubious quality, might be to take him to a tailor to get a full bespoke or MtM suit and a number of shirts as well. Then he'll have something that not only will last forever, but was made specifically for him. The value of that suit and shirts will be substantially greater than any mass-produced name brand attire. As to Ari Gold as a style influence - I have not seen much of Entourage, but from what I remember he wore expensive suits and large tie knots with flashy shirts and jewelry? I would shy away from looks that brazen, unless your fiancee has a similar personality and successful lifestyle to back it up. Rather, more muted, traditional clothing will keep from looking dated and instead cultivate rakish elegance.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ couldn't have said it better, lufty

pajames

Reaction score
Natasha, since you are in Pittsburgh, take a trip down to Joseph Orlando and talk to the owner or his son. Both are very gracious men and will give you the help you need. They don't carry the brands your man wears but their level of quality is right up there with the best in every area you named. Good luck in your wedding.

pnin22

Reaction score
I think that your idea of buying a few "complete outfits" for him is generous, I personally would not like to be dressed by anyone but myself. I doubt you'd be able to achieve a perfectly-fitted look, and you might make your fiance feel a bit oppressed. Why not get him a gift certificate to Brooks Brothers (or the like) instead?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
It's best if you don't focus on "outfits." As much as women's fashion is based around this concept, men's clothing should be based on the utility of each individual piece's ability to pair with other pieces in the collection.

E.g., while a woman might pick out a top, skirt, accessory that look best with one another, a man should have staple colors in shirts, ties, and suits that are completely interchangeable and each look fantastic together.

Your best option, rather than purchasing expensive brand names items of dubious quality, might be to take him to a tailor to get a full bespoke or MtM suit and a number of shirts as well. Then he'll have something that not only will last forever, but was made specifically for him. The value of that suit and shirts will be substantially greater than any mass-produced name brand attire.

+1000

stewartu

Reaction score
Hand made gift certificate.

ricotta

Reaction score
the great thing about MTM clothes is that, when done right, they cultivate the wearer's sense of style/taste as well as fitting impeccably. the shirts will probably be a bigger eye opener as they'll get more wear than the suits.

if you go this route, i'd invest some time in finding a good and reputable tailor. you'll want a tailor who'll look after the guy, especially as this is a gift.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads