• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official SF "I Have a Problem" thread / poll

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where does "clothing" fall in relation to your total expenses for the year?

Given that I'm a college student without car payments / house payments / etc., 28% of the money i spent this year (not including tuition) was on clothing.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Less than 10 percent. I pay all my own bills, so any more than that and I would probably have to make a new closet in the cardboard box I'd be living in.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I primarily spend money on clothing and vinyl/audio equipment.
Every dime I had went to buying vinyls when I was in high school. My collection's only 300+ 70's soul records with some other stuff peppered in there Ah, nostalgia. Old records also gave me allergies p.s. we need more fits from you LK

Chrispy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I primarily spend money on clothing and vinyl/audio equipment.

What's your listening setup. Wish I could afford vinyl.

I run computer -> emarld usb audio DAC / Headphone amp

then just from the output to BX-5as

and from the amp to Grado-325i

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
Every dime I had went to buying vinyls when I was in high school. My collection's only 300+ 70's soul records with some other stuff peppered in there Ah, nostalgia. Old records also gave me allergies
Like Northern Soul? I'm primarily buying post-punk and new wave. A lot of it has to come from England or Germany even though the bands are actually American.
Originally Posted by Chrispy
What's your listening setup. Wish I could afford vinyl. I run computer -> emarld usb audio DAC / Headphone amp then just from the output to BX-5as and from the amp to Grado-325i
I use a JVC QL-Y7 turntable which was one of their high-end models from the early '80s. It has a Fidelity Research FR-1 MKIII Moving Coil cartridge and FRT-3 step-up transformer running into a Stax SRA-12S preamp/head-phone amp. Stax Electrostatic headphones require either a specialized energizer or their own headphone amps connected with the speakers. The SRA-12S is connected to a custom vacuum tube power amplifier with Svetlana EL34s and vintage Military Surplus British Mullard tubes. Headphones are Stax SRX-MK3. I also have two reel to reel tape recorders connected to DBX range enchancement--a Teac A-3340S and a Revox A77.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gotta give a listen to some stax headphones sometimes to see what all the hype is about.

xanatos

Reaction score
I've always been really obsessed with things. Clothes toys comic books movies
but never ever figured out the obsessions with vinyls and audio equipment stuff. I love music and influences me but it always confused me
I saw this guy at the mall with these huge ass headphones plugged into his iPhone which was incased in a 2 inch thick case and was like bro enjoy the world around you and just listen to it at home.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say that clothing takes up about 50% of my spending money and that percentage is dwindling each year. I'm trying to spend less on clothes and save up for other stuff (hookers, cocaine, vacations, etc). Luckily I'm pretty satisfied so far so I don't feel like there are stuff that I "need" but it's hard for me to resist good deals in my size (why did you have to put up your OL cardigan Kelvin, WHY??)

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ahahahah

damn I thought I had a spending problem, a lot of 40%+'ers here ! Good work cop-a-holics

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say around 30% of my spending money has been on clothes this year. I'm currently overhauling my wardrobe so my wallet's been taking hits lately. Hopefully this time next year I'll only have to pick up a few key pieces each season to add to my collection.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I'd say that clothing takes up about 50% of my spending money and that percentage is dwindling each year. I'm trying to spend less on clothes and save up for other stuff (hookers, cocaine, vacations, etc). Luckily I'm pretty satisfied so far so I don't feel like there are stuff that I "need" but it's hard for me to resist good deals in my size (why did you have to put up your OL cardigan Kelvin, WHY??)

are we talking about percentage of disposable income ("spending money") or percentage of expenses? totally different. My clothing percentage is a very small amount of my total expenses. It is a higher percentage of my goof-off disposable income.

Most people with kids and a house have crazy expenses and a modest amount of disposable income, unless you are talking about wealthy people.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Exactly. 20% of my expenses are clothing related But that translates to 60% of my spending money.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
are we talking about percentage of disposable income ("spending money") or percentage of expenses? totally different. My clothing percentage is a very small amount of my total expenses. It is a higher percentage of my goof-off disposable income.

Most people with kids and a house have crazy expenses and a modest amount of disposable income, unless you are talking about wealthy people.

Only spending money, so stuff that isn't tuition, rent, books, utilities, food, etc. But a lot of the clothes I've purchased so far this year have been big money purchases for staples that I will be wearing for a long time.

PS: Kelvin how can you make a thread like this and do that to me?
ffffuuuu.gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I prefer to keep this kind of information from myself, thank you very much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads