• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor in Philadelphia for some quick work?

knezz

Reaction score
I have the misfortune of not receiving a tuxedo from a local retailer as promised. I have a black tie event on New Year’s Eve. I purchase another tuxedo (not from this vendor who is now forever banned from my business). The suit I purchases is in need of some minor alterations. Sleeves shortened (non- working buttons) an inch and trousers hemmed.

Are there any tailors in Philadelphia who do good work at relatively reasonable prices and “might” be able to work with my tight timetable?

Also, how much did you pay for your last suit sleeves being shortened as well as trousers hemmed (no cuffs). If its not to tastless to ask. I just want to get a "ball park" idea of what to expect.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ernesto's on 5th just south of South. I think $25ish for sleeves and $12 for trousers.

knezz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Ernesto's on 5th just south of South. I think $25ish for sleeves and $12 for trousers.
Went to Ernesto's and they were willing to have the work done be tomorrow afternoon or New Year's Eve at the latest. Sleeves shortened (sleeve button holes moved accordingly), below the back of the collar altered to remove some wrinkles and trousers hemmed (no cuffs) $100.00

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you went there....they're one of the best. Moving forward, depending on if you're in the city or not, there are some very talented ones out on the main line.

Blake686

Reaction score
Originally Posted by usctrojans31
Glad to see you went there....they're one of the best. Moving forward, depending on if you're in the city or not, there are some very talented ones out on the main line.

+1, Centofanti in Ardmore has done some great work for me.

knezz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by usctrojans31

What are some of the names and locations of some other options?

They were very peronable, polite and professional at Ernesto's. I thought maybe the waist of the jacket needed to be taken in just a little. The tailor (one of the brothers) didn't chase the additional money. He told me it wasn't enough to warrent alterations.

Thank you all for all of the help. I was in a bit of a panic as my othe tuxedo didn't arrive. I contacted that vendor again today. They offered to give me a rental to get me through my event. We all know how rentals usually look. I think I will be set.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knezz
What are some of the names and locations of some other options?

They were very peronable, polite and professional at Ernesto's. I thought maybe the waist of the jacket needed to be taken in just a little. The tailor (one of the brothers) didn't chase the additional money. He told me it wasn't enough to warrent alterations.

Thank you all for all of the help. I was in a bit of a panic as my othe tuxedo didn't arrive. I contacted that vendor again today. They offered to give me a rental to get me through my event. We all know how rentals usually look. I think I will be set.

Did Darren or Ed help you out?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread. I just want to update the thread to keep things accurate for others searching. I went to Ernesto's today. Nice shop and nice men working there. But their price to hem trousers is more. $20/$25 (cuffs). Same as Centofanti. Turnover for 3 pairs of pants hemmed is a week and a half.

They have some other nice items in the shop also. Lots of ties, some cashmere scarves ($100) and they sell Allen Edmonds shoes. Looking at their website, it seems their custom tailoring is rather inexpensive. I saw a few Chesterfields for clients there that looked nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads