or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Madras Shirt thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Madras Shirt thread - Page 14

post #196 of 217
Stop feeding the troll.

As for madras, my suggestion is to skip the brands and just get something made yourself. You can get madras shirting fairly easily, so you only need to find a shirtmaker that suits your taste and budget. I use Ascot Chang, but companies such as Cottonwork will make something for you $45 shipped. If you don't want to go through the process of having a custom shirt made, you can have them copy something you already like. It will fit in the same exact way. You can even make small adjustments to something that fits you nearly perfect by asking to add or subtract a bit of fabric here or there.
post #197 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Stop feeding the troll.
As for madras, my suggestion is to skip the brands and just get something made yourself. You can get madras shirting fairly easily, so you only need to find a shirtmaker that suits your taste and budget. I use Ascot Chang, but companies such as Cottonwork will make something for you $45 shipped. If you don't want to go through the process of having a custom shirt made, you can have them copy something you already like. It will fit in the same exact way. You can even make small adjustments to something that fits you nearly perfect by asking to add or subtract a bit of fabric here or there.

Good advice all around. I did buy some madras fabric from a place named Hancock. CEGO is making two shirts for me. Hancock and Atlantis have good choices, but have you come across other vendors? Options are nice. I do like Gant's product. They fit fairly well. I don't want to get specific without the guy's permission, but a well-known retailer told me he's working with a source in India on reviving the old veg dyed madras. Possibly a year out. We shall see if this comes to fruition.
post #198 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Stop feeding the troll.
As for madras, my suggestion is to skip the brands and just get something made yourself. You can get madras shirting fairly easily, so you only need to find a shirtmaker that suits your taste and budget. I use Ascot Chang, but companies such as Cottonwork will make something for you $45 shipped. If you don't want to go through the process of having a custom shirt made, you can have them copy something you already like. It will fit in the same exact way. You can even make small adjustments to something that fits you nearly perfect by asking to add or subtract a bit of fabric here or there.

Yes, madras fabric is readily available in the home decor section of fabric stores. That's a manly way to spend an afternoon.

Or you could order a shirt from Lands End, BB, Gant, or any of a dozen other makers and watch as your testicles magically re-descend.
post #199 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltontheqt View Post

Good advice all around. I did buy some madras fabric from a place named Hancock. CEGO is making two shirts for me. Hancock and Atlantis have good choices, but have you come across other vendors? Options are nice. I do like Gant's product. They fit fairly well. I don't want to get specific without the guy's permission, but a well-known retailer told me he's working with a source in India on reviving the old veg dyed madras. Possibly a year out. We shall see if this comes to fruition.

There are a few fabric stores in NYC that sell madras. One sent me samples, but the name escapes me at the moment. I have it written down in my home in California, but I won't be returning until later this month. I'll try to remember to post it when I get back.

A colleague of mine does research in India and says old, real madras can be find in many parts of the country. He was supposed to proxy some for me, but I haven't followed up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLA View Post

Yes, madras fabric is readily available in the home decor section of fabric stores. That's a manly way to spend an afternoon.
Or you could order a shirt from Lands End, BB, Gant, or any of a dozen other makers and watch as your testicles magically re-descend.

I always suspected you weren't a real tailor.
post #200 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post


There are a few fabric stores in NYC that sell madras. One sent me samples, but the name escapes me at the moment. I have it written down in my home in California, but I won't be returning until later this month. I'll try to remember to post it when I get back.
A colleague of mine does research in India and says old, real madras can be find in many parts of the country. He was supposed to proxy some for me, but I haven't followed up.
I always suspected you weren't a real tailor.

 

Beckenstein's?  They have a lot of madras.

post #201 of 217
Does anyone have a recommendation for where I could purchase some madras fabric online?
post #202 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Nights View Post

Does anyone have a recommendation for where I could purchase some madras fabric online?

https://store.fabrics-textiles.com/index.php?cPath=66&osCsid=f7bda33b8b0a1511235f0b321a0506f6
post #203 of 217
There isn't much here but what they have looks nice.
http://www.trurofabrics.com/cotton-fabrics/madras-and-ikat-fabric.html
post #204 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Nights View Post

Does anyone have a recommendation for where I could purchase some madras fabric online?

And one more source:
http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Madras--Plaid-_stcVVcatId552090VVviewcat.htm
post #205 of 217
Thanks, I appreciate it. A lot of good options here.
post #206 of 217

Madras takes me back to high school circa 1965 when all of a sudden the guys started dressing "collegiate"....seemed to happen over night.....real cultural paradigm shift at that time...the other guys were called "Nicky Newarks"  (we were from NJ).....we wore madras shirts (only the kind that bled)....levis; desert boots (suede chukkas)...of course penny loafers.........still love madras shirts; but they are hard to find.

post #207 of 217

Madras takes me back to high school circa 1965 when all of a sudden the guys started dressing "collegiate"....seemed to happen over night.....real cultural paradigm shift at that time...the other guys were called "Nicky Newarks"  (we were from NJ).....we wore madras shirts (only the kind that bled)....levis; desert boots (suede chukkas)...of course penny loafers.........still love madras shirts; but they are hard to find.

post #208 of 217

Madras takes me back to high school circa 1965 when all of a sudden the guys started dressing "collegiate"....seemed to happen over night.....real cultural paradigm shift at that time...the other guys were called "Nicky Newarks"  (we were from NJ).....we wore madras shirts (only the kind that bled)....levis; desert boots (suede chukkas)...of course penny loafers.........still love madras shirts; but they are hard to find.

post #209 of 217

I will be traveling through india for 2 months and was wondering if anyone had specific locations to go for getting madras shirts made? I will be going north to south, landing in Delhi and flying out of Kochi, Kerala, so unfortunately won't be able to visit Chennai (assuming this is the best town to find it?) until the end of the trip.

post #210 of 217

I think you need to see: Patchwork-Madras.weebly.com , where there is a lot of madras fabric.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Madras Shirt thread