Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Yesterday at 11:29 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Alden Cigar Shell Cordovan Penny Loafer Full Strap Aberdeen 12D Horween Last post on 7/4/15 at 10:03am in Buying and Selling
- Alden Black Shell Cordovan Penny Loafer Full Strap Aberdeen Single Leather 12D Last post on 7/19/15 at 2:40pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ALDEN Cape Cod "Mocc Oxford" Blucher 8 1/2 Last post on 5/30/15 at 5:55pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Styleforum 2014 Holiday Charity Auctions - 100% of proceeds go to support the Ronald McDonald... Last post on 4/2/15 at 3:45pm in Classic Menswear
What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
Last edited: Yesterday
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden FootwearLast edited: 2/1/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Alden lasts and fit - Page 4
Styleforum Top Pickspost #47 of 754/28/10 at 5:53pmJust got my Alden NFB Split toe today and I'm wearing them now. They're great, but I have two issues. One is that they creased REALLY easy. I mean, I just put them on, walked gingerly on my carpeted apartment, and now there's enough creasing I can't return them. I'm hoping that this will be a case of they crease early, and then not much more after that.
The other issue is that they are on the Aberdeen last, and I don't know if other's have this issue, but my heel comes up when I walk more than in any other shoe. Given that this has never really happened with any of my other shoes: Is this an effect of the "slightly longer" Aberdeen last? Or is it that the size is just too long and I need to think about some other options (i.e. heel pads). As previously stated, returning them is not an option given the extensive creasing. The heel obviously does not come all the way out, it's just maybe a couple centimeters, but it'd definitely noticeable and a little annoying. Would a heel pad solve this? Or should I just live with it?post #48 of 754/28/10 at 5:55pmpost #49 of 754/28/10 at 6:03pmQuote:Shoes crease. If you don't like it, maybe you should be barefoot.
A certain amount of help slippage is normal on a brand new pair. I can't put into words what's normal and what is the wrong size. It's something you just learn.
Yeah I know....I was just sad to take them out of the box all excited at the beautiful construction and then bam! I feel like I aged them 6 months! And it's just not that they creased, it's that they did so much sooner and more than my other shoes. I have 4 pairs of AE and they didn't crease as much or as early. Maybe this is an Alden thing? It's not bad, just wasn't expecting it.
The real issue, and the impetus for my question, is that I'm concerned I may not have the right size. Which would blow, because I can't return them, but also because Aldens look really cool and I'd hate to think I don't fit any of them (I currently have the smallest size, 6D). It does feel good to think it may be a matter of it being brand new and needing some breaking in....post #50 of 754/28/10 at 6:34pmQuote:Just got my Alden NFB Split toe today and I'm wearing them now. They're great, but I have two issues. One is that they creased REALLY easy. I mean, I just put them on, walked gingerly on my carpeted apartment, and now there's enough creasing I can't return them. I'm hoping that this will be a case of they crease early, and then not much more after that.
The other issue is that they are on the Aberdeen last, and I don't know if other's have this issue, but my heel comes up when I walk more than in any other shoe. Given that this has never really happened with any of my other shoes: Is this an effect of the "slightly longer" Aberdeen last? Or is it that the size is just too long and I need to think about some other options (i.e. heel pads). As previously stated, returning them is not an option given the extensive creasing. The heel obviously does not come all the way out, it's just maybe a couple centimeters, but it'd definitely noticeable and a little annoying. Would a heel pad solve this? Or should I just live with it?
I find that most of the lasts that Alden uses are too wide for my heel. They list the sizing as D (front width) / B (heel width), and I would be better with a larger split. The Plaza last is one of the only ones that's roomy enough in the front, and narrow enough in the back at the same time. I found the Aberdeen to be narrow in the toe and wide in the heel FWIW. People who complain of this particular fit issue seem to like the Modified last.
I have what you describe in your post, and it doesn't go away. Your issue could simply be caused by new stiff leather. Does your heel move side to side when you pivot at the ball of your foot? If it does so excessively, you might be a bad fit for that last (as I am).post #51 of 754/28/10 at 7:44pmpost #52 of 754/28/10 at 7:59pmpost #53 of 754/28/10 at 8:42pmQuote:Anyone have any thoughts on what size Indy boot to get if I wear 11.5 in a Clarks desert boot? Indy boot is trubalance last I believe. Im thinknig a size 11, but I generally wear a 11E in dress shoes and the Indy boot I want only comes in D width.
The usual rule of thumb on the trubalance lst is to size down 1/2 from your usual size. However, I don't find that the last is any wider than normal, so your E width foot might not be happy in a pair of 10.5Ds. You should either try them on in person or make sure you're buying from a store with a reasonable returns policy (such as Shoemart).post #54 of 754/28/10 at 8:44pmpost #55 of 758/15/10 at 7:15pmpost #56 of 758/15/10 at 8:13pmpost #57 of 752/18/11 at 4:20pmpost #58 of 753/29/11 at 11:25ampost #59 of 754/20/13 at 5:21ampost #60 of 755/11/13 at 9:29am
Guys, can anybody help me with Alden 1493?
I need to pick correct size. My feet is 11 inches =
What size I have to choose?
I ask this question on many online shops support e-mails, but only leffot answered:Quote:
The 1493 Chukka's do not require sizing down as with other Alden shoes.
We would suggest a 10E for in this shoe.
We stock the wider widths because the Chukkas run quite narrow.
This is our best estimate.
We cannot guarantee the fit without your trying on a pair of Chukkas in person.
Can anybody confirm this?
- Alden lasts and fit
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 4 minutes ago
- › REEVES OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD 4 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 5 minutes ago
- › Recent flawless Hackett Beige Cotton Sport Coat half lined US38R EU48R 6 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge for February 5th 2016 - The Green Jacket 8 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 9 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 11 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 12 minutes ago
- › Ten Ties, Five Jackets (10/5 thread) 16 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...