or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Porsche 911 GT3 RS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Porsche 911 GT3 RS

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
If only they'd done this to the Cayman instead:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60529007/1024

--Andre
post #2 of 10
I don’t like it the design of the steering wheel. Everything else is Brilliant! Plus, 415 bhp from a 3.6 liter naturally aspirated engine (115.3 hp per liter) is just awesome. What the Cayman needs is the 911 Turbo’s engine, with carbon-ceramic breaks, some stiffening of the chassis, and some weight reduction (no power seats, etc…) and you could have a very, very sweet ride. Although, its never going to happen; from Porsche anyways, luckily there’s always independent tuners. Jon.
post #3 of 10
I'm a huge fan of the turbo in a lot of applications, but I can respect Porsche's approach to the GT3 RS line. Creating a well performing car without the flash of forced induction, 15 different combinations of electronic programs (stability, braking, shifting, ride height, spring rate, damping, etc), or comforts that add too much weight.

So, a 911 turbo engine in the Cayman would be kinda fun, but I think the RS engine in the Cayman would be a blast as well.
post #4 of 10
how come it's not offered in white like the last one?
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
I think it is offered in black, silver, along with orange and green that point back to Porsche's days in the 70s. No turbo because it's a homologation special, and has to conform to the rules of the racing classes they run in. They should race the Cayman, but I doubt they will. At least BMW's going to race the Z4 coupe.

--Andre
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysalid
how come it's not offered in white like the last one?
With the huge GT3 logo painted on the sides? No thanks.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
They should race the Cayman, but I doubt they will. At least BMW's going to race the Z4 coupe.

--Andre


That's because BMW doesn't have another car to race.

Jon.
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
That's because BMW doesn't have another car to race.

The M3 is being raced, and there were rumors the M6 was being prepared for a GT car series. Also, the 320si is a homologation for European touring car series many of which they've successfully raced for many years, including a championship last year, and winning overall with a diesel 3 at the 1998 Nurburging 24 hour race --- the first diesel engine to win a 24-hour race. The 3s in both E46 and E90 forms are being raced with factory-backed packages. Minis are also being raced with factory support in the form of manufacturer cup points. Even the X3 was raced, and won the AlCan a couple of years ago. So BMW does have many other cars that can be and are raced.

About the only thing they aren't doing is a GT prototype car (unless you count the Dinan-powered Riley in Rolex), but running an F1 team along with their own open wheel formula series are pretty good substitutes. And we aren't even talking about their motorcycle success, yet.

--Andre
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
The M3 is being raced, and there were rumors the M6 was being prepared for a GT car series. Also, the 320si is a homologation for European touring car series many of which they've successfully raced for many years, including a championship last year, and winning overall with a diesel 3 at the 1998 Nurburging 24 hour race --- the first diesel engine to win a 24-hour race. The 3s in both E46 and E90 forms are being raced with factory-backed packages. Minis are also being raced with factory support in the form of manufacturer cup points. Even the X3 was raced, and won the AlCan a couple of years ago. So BMW does have many other cars that can be and are raced.

About the only thing they aren't doing is a GT prototype car (unless you count the Dinan-powered Riley in Rolex), but running an F1 team along with their own open wheel formula series are pretty good substitutes. And we aren't even talking about their motorcycle success, yet.

--Andre

I meant comparable to the Cayman, of course. Porsche has the Cayman whereas as BMW has the Z4 Coupe. Obviously, the M3 is a completely different type of car. And the 6er is REALLY a different car of car than a Z4 / Cayman and can't rally be raced competitively against either car.

Jon.
post #10 of 10
A friend of mine has a 996 GT3 Cup and it is SICK
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Porsche 911 GT3 RS