• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If your shirt comes back from the laundry with a crease in the collar...

MarquisMagic

Reaction score
If your shirt comes back from the laundry with a crease in the collar, what do you do?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sue them to bankruption!

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I launder my own shirts and would not have this problem.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would never send a shirt out to be laundered

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Torch the place!

Just kidding...I'd mention it to them next time I was in if I decided they still deserved my future business. Otherwise, iron it yourself to fix & chalk it up to experience.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Awesome poll. Would vote again.

lol8[1].gif

MarquisMagic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
what kind of question is this?

multiple choice??????
confused.gif

Actually, it's a real situation I have faced more often than I'd like to admit. While I know the appropriate response is probably to take the item back to be redone, I find it's simply easier to do the touch-up myself. I was simply interested in how others handle the situation.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made the mistake of taking my shirt to the dry cleaner. Told them repeatedly not to iron the collar stays, they did anyway, AND left a crease in the back of the collar as well. Completely f-king useless, I have no idea how they get any business. I had to use a long home remedy involving hydrogen peroxide to get 'em out...

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarquisMagic
multiple choice??????
confused.gif

Actually, it's a real situation I have faced more often than I'd like to admit. While I know the appropriate response is probably to take the item back to be redone, I find it's simply easier to do the touch-up myself. I was simply interested in how others handle the situation.

I don't know a place that irons perfect collars all the time sans tiny creases here and there. I use Madame Paulette and Chris French.

knka74

Reaction score
This is what can typically happen when you begin laundering fused collars. They begin to unfuse.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to just have the shirt steamed instead of pressed. It's a bit more money but preserves the fabric better. If you're getting a patterned, striped, or printed shirt pressed repeatedly, the coloration is going to begin to fade under the intense heat.

I've taken to washing my shirts at home and steaming them, and they have all felt much crisper as well as lasted longer. I only dry clean wool now.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
use a different cleaners. They're using a process with fewer steps and the result is a collar with a crease on ether side.

MarquisMagic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knka74
This is what can typically happen when you begin laundering fused collars. They begin to unfuse.

Aren't all dress shirt collars fused?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads