• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baldwin Raw Selvage

zzzzzard

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the new Baldwin Denim? The guy who owns Standard Style in KC came out with the line about two months ago, and I tried on a pair in the store yesterday. They're remarkably stiff - I had trouble walking around.

They're priced at a little under $200.

29atwkx.jpg

I'd like to hear any other thoughts on them, because I was thinking about buying a pair.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For 200 dollars, you can do a lot better. It's made by the same place that makes paper denim and cloth. You can read about it in Ink from a couple of months ago. Assuming you are from KC, I would suggest you go to halls and try a pair of N&F. It's a bit cheaper and I think better in quality. But again, for 200, you can do alot better.

zzzzzard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
For 200 dollars, you can do a lot better. It's made by the same place that makes paper denim and cloth. You can read about it in Ink from a couple of months ago. Assuming you are from KC, I would suggest you go to halls and try a pair of N&F. It's a bit cheaper and I think better in quality. But again, for 200, you can do alot better.

Cool, thank you. I'll stop by Halls (I'm visiting here and I didn't even know it existed) and I'll go do some measurements on the Baldwin just to be sure.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know standard style pretty well, since I currently live in kc. I would suggest lurking around here for awhile or sufu before making a purchase. The other suggestion I have is do some simple research on denim quality, design, and cut before making a decision.

zzzzzard

Reaction score
I got my Thin Finns from standard style and they're wonderful. I'm actually located in Austin; I'm up here visiting some family.

I didn't end up buying the Baldwins today; compared to the Nudies and the N&F I've been wearing they're incredibly starchy and the cuts aren't as comfortable. However, I know that I probably won't be able to cop them anywhere else.

What would you recommend instead of the Baldwins?

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never tried on the Baldwins myself. I just went into the store to check them out after reading the about them in Ink. I don't know what cut of denim and the quality you are looking for. But you can get a pair mint condition MII or even MIJ diors for around 200. I don't wear jeans that much anymore. I would suggest checking out NdG, KMW, and some of the Japanese repros. I would even say a pair of APCs would be better than the Baldwins.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tried these out yesterday and it was a nice cut, really nice. but it did feel pretty flimsy and like it would stretch out quite a bit. dude kept telling me to size down, APC style.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is the pocket half way down the ass of those jeans?

madstaxbro

Reaction score
Heard about these a month or two ago. The triple felled stitching is what gets me.
The only things keeping me from getting a pair are a couple thousand miles and that they're possibly sanforized.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think i remember someone posting a picture of the back of these, and the way the back pockets and the seams were positioned, it made the ass look really square and weird.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I have seen a few pair in person, their fits are more Sufu friendly... you could do way better for that kind of $$$.'

heatstroker

Reaction score
For the record... These are made in the US from Cone Mills raw selvedge. (yellow line, sanforized, 12.5oz i believe) and have very flattering fits for both men and women alike. Also, they easily DESTROY N&F or Nudies in terms of fit, fabric and construction. The mentions of the pocket being half way down the ass is pertaining to the drop yoke model called the '77. The other mens cuts are The Reed (classic straight leg, though fairly slim) and The Henley (true skinny jeans). They all have a fairly low rise (under 9" for my size 28) but they fit like a dream and crock like no other. Seriously, the fading properties on these easily give my Eternal 811's a run for their money. There's an upcoming batch that will be cut from raw Kurabo denim as well, which I'm eagerly anticipating. The triple felled stitching is one of the great details on them, as well as the lone white contrast rivet exposed on the back right pocket and really, REALLY nice veg tanned thick leather patches. The only fit I've found yet to be more flattering on my frame than the Baldwin Reed is the PRPS Rambler and, needless to say, these are much more affordable than PRPS. Don't sleep! If you're anywhere near KC, go to Standard and try a pair on for yourself. Do size down as they will stretch a fair amount. I don't know of any raw denims that won't though. I guarantee that if you purchase a pair, they will quickly rise to the top of your rotation and become a favorite. Props to Matt (Baldwin) for doing the damn thing and repping KC for the first time since Lee left us! Beyond the jeans, he's just unveiled a really sweet collection of mens shirts (chambrays, oxfords and ginghams) ties and amazing bench made shoes that are simply phenomenal. The shirts are the first I've found that actually fit me better than Gitman Vintage or BoO. At $138.00 for the shirts, they're also a really good value. Also the chambray tie has become my new favorite in that department. Do yourself a favor and check this **** out pronto!
spam[1].gif
www.baldwindenim.com (the male model on the site really doesn't do the cuts justice) P.S. AB Fits in San Francisco is now stocking Baldwin as well.

heatstroker

Reaction score
Also, for what it's worth, Standard carries some other great **** like Gitman Vintage, Woolrich Woolen Mills, Apolis Activism, Red Wing Boots, Nudie Jeans, Caulfield Prep, Steven Alan, Ever etc. etc.
The store is certainly worth dropping some loot at.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heatstroker

Do you work at Standardstyle? Seems that you are trying hard to promote the store and his line. I walked by the plaza store the other day, but didn't feel like going in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads