or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › How many meters did you row/erg today?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How many meters did you row/erg today? - Page 28

post #406 of 565
Had it today. Didn't go great, but I PRed with a 6:47.9. Never got into a rhythm and didn't have a great sprint. Will have plenty more chances though!
post #407 of 565
Well done Andy!

You and wmmk are real close there... we need to have a tale of the tape, height/weight etc to see whose got more power!
post #408 of 565
A shitty thing to do to wmmk, posting that slightly faster time just after he posted his pr.
post #409 of 565
He's a couple years younger, so I can't say I'm feeling too bad about that one. Also, based on some of his recent intervals it looks like he's going to make some pretty serious improvements over the next few weeks/months.

Height: 5'11.5"
Weight: 165 (trying to get back down to 160)
post #410 of 565
Good work, guys! Wish I was still rowing or even coaching. Spring break training was always fun. I'll be back in the single shortly after the time changes this weekend and the air/water temps start to come up (not allowed out in a single with cold air/water for safety reasons).

Good luck on your upcoming racing seasons!
post #411 of 565
Thread Starter 
Well done on the PR, Andy! Let's see sub-6:45 next time! No hard feelings, of course, and thanks for the kind words re: improvement.

Anyway, for the record, Andy's definitely got more power per pound than I do on the erg: I'm 6'2.5", 180 lbs. All the more reason to keep bustin' out those pieces.

Tonight, did about 90 mins. of drilling on the water. We're still in mixed lineups, but I was stroking a starboard rigged 8 (I'm typically a port) with a couple Eastern Sprints recruits sitting in the stern. It's always beneficial to row with such talented guys.

At home, I swung it out on the erg for an hour. Was at a 20, focusing on form, pulling a light 2:07 for the first 55 minutes or so. Then decided to DROP THE FUCKIN HAMMER and brought the average 4 seconds. I think I did the last 500m at a 1:36.
post #412 of 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmmk View Post
....

Anyway, for the record, Andy's definitely got more power per pound than I do on the erg: I'm 6'2.5", 180 lbs. All the more reason to keep bustin' out those pieces.

....

At home, I swung it out on the erg for an hour. Was at a 20, focusing on form, pulling a light 2:07 for the first 55 minutes or so. Then decided to DROP THE FUCKIN HAMMER and brought the average 4 seconds. I think I did the last 500m at a 1:36.

2:07? Come on, girls on my old team did better than that, even while working on their form. I mean this in a good way. Trust me, your body can do so much more than you think that you can

It's your mind that holds you back. Especially a guy your size. FWIW, I was 6'3" 182lbs when doing all of these PRs and workouts that I've posted here. Heck, I did a marathon (42,195) at a 1:55.x, ended up around 2hr 40min. So you definitely can do 2:00 for an hour.
post #413 of 565
pwnt
post #414 of 565
i thought my first 2k ever was 7:30 but that machine was probably broken cause the one after that was almost 8 minutes. here are my scores from our weekly 2k tests, now rowed on non-broken machines. week 1- 7:56 week 2- 7:40 week 3- 7:24 week 4- 7:28 (sick) week 5- 7:18 week 6- tomorrow. sub 7? at this rate i should be sub 6 by april
post #415 of 565
Happy I found this thread, didn't know there was rowers on SF! Currently just chilling out having the morning doing a nice two hour work piece, 2 hour break and then a nice hour and a half technical paddle. Feeling pretty lazy now though.... an unproductive evening is in order i think! Some interesting scores here guys. Not sure I agree with doing 2k's every week though!! But that's another story. What are most of you guys rowing in this year? I'm in an 8+..... my natural habitat! hha
post #416 of 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkav View Post
Not sure I agree with doing 2k's every week though!!
i don't hate 2k's yet so i do them every week even if we don't have to :P the other day i pr'd with 7:05.
post #417 of 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkav View Post
Happy I found this thread, didn't know there was rowers on SF!

Currently just chilling out having the morning doing a nice two hour work piece, 2 hour break and then a nice hour and a half technical paddle. Feeling pretty lazy now though.... an unproductive evening is in order i think!

Some interesting scores here guys. Not sure I agree with doing 2k's every week though!! But that's another story.

What are most of you guys rowing in this year? I'm in an 8+..... my natural habitat! hha

If you're doing that kinda practice load and in NYC, I assume you're at Columbia??

Also, doing 2k's every week is a bit detrimental. We did training in 3 week cycles during winter training to get into on-the-water 2k racing season.
post #418 of 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesam099 View Post
If you're doing that kinda practice load and in NYC, I assume you're at Columbia??

Also, doing 2k's every week is a bit detrimental. We did training in 3 week cycles during winter training to get into on-the-water 2k racing season.

Yea he's gotta be at Columbia or rows masters or something. I only remember doing that amount of work on a handful of occasions.

And 2k tests were rare. Maybe 5 max over the course of a season.
post #419 of 565
Ah you guys are very observant! hah Yeah I agree with you rjmaiorano... 5 would be the max in a season. I remember a coach i had last year saying they were something that should be done rarely, but done well. Those words have stuck with me since. bach, I don't think that's a good idea. Your coaches know best, even when you think they don't. Doing sneaky training on your own will not necessarily improve your performance. If anything, doing extra training will eventually become counter productive. You see it with novices every year. Our novices aren't permitted to erg without a coach present for the first few weeks. This helps establish good technique and prevent bad habits on the erg. Rowing is a sport where long term goals are important and your training will reflect this. Have you done any 5k's yet? Or a 30 minute erg test?
post #420 of 565
Quote:
If anything, doing extra training will eventually become counter productive.

well i dropped my 2k by almost a minute after 6 weeks and im pretty sure that's because i've been working hard. that being said, i'll definitely look out for signs of overtraining.

Quote:
Have you done any 5k's yet? Or a 30 minute erg test?

i've done 6k's and 10k's but they weren't tests.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › How many meters did you row/erg today?