or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit jacket or sportcoat?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suit jacket or sportcoat?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hopefully I attached the file properly...

Can anyone tell me whether this jacket is or could be worn as a sportcoat? It is Valentino, I bought it at the thrift store for $6 but could not find any pants. There is no vent.
LL
post #2 of 16
Is the fabric quite thin and crinkly, or is it just my eyes?
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Feels pretty good to me, but I know nothing about it. It could be fake, although I think it's probably real.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
doesn't anyone have any opinion as to whether I can wear this as a sportscoat? I'd just like to know if I should spend the money to get it tailored, if it would be ridiculous to wear it then I would obviously rather not.

Thanks.
post #5 of 16
Honestly, I think it looks cheap and you shouldn't bother.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaa
doesn't anyone have any opinion as to whether I can wear this as a sportscoat? I'd just like to know if I should spend the money to get it tailored, if it would be ridiculous to wear it then I would obviously rather not.

Thanks.

I wouldn't bother spending the money in the hopes of being able to wear it as a sportscoat. I don't think you will be happy with it in the end. Sorry.
post #7 of 16
I think it is better donated to charity...
post #8 of 16
I could see it going with a pair of jeans.
post #9 of 16
I think you can pull it off with jeans as well. Those of who said the jacket looks cheap, would you have said the same if the guy said that the jacket is tailored by St. Andrews or Castangia?
post #10 of 16
A pic of you wearing the jacket would be more helpful. I have an untrained eye, but I don't see anything in the pic that screams "cheap" to me.

I believe the question raised by Milanostyle was a good one. In the future, if you'd like to see more positive comments, perhaps you should just lie and say whatever you bought was made by [insert revered tailoring house here]. If you want a more objective opinion, you would do well to leave the maker out of the discussion altogether. After all, if you're after purely aesthetic advice, the name on the tag should be of no issue.
post #11 of 16
I don't think the make matters in this case. Personally, I'd never wear a striped jacket as a sportcoat. But that's just me. Plenty of designers have shown striped jackets as sportcoats. If it works for you, wear it.
post #12 of 16
I don't think the jacket looks cheap per se. I just think that fabric does not lend itself to being worn as an odd jacket. I also don't care for the lack of a vent in a sportcoat. Finally, if it were shown being worn, I could comment on the fit. I find that a coat that was part of a suit has a closer fit than a sportcoat.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFlannelMan
I also don't care for the lack of a vent in a sportcoat. Finally, if it were shown being worn, I could comment on the fit. I find that a coat that was part of a suit has a closer fit than a sportcoat.

Whilst I agree with you about the lack of a vent, I dont think that a slim fit is a bad thing in a sports jacket. I have several sports jackets with a different fit, depending on what I wear under them. The slimmest fit I wear with a cotton polo shirt and the looser ones with a shirt and sweater.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by borace
Whilst I agree with you about the lack of a vent, I dont think that a slim fit is a bad thing in a sports jacket. I have several sports jackets with a different fit, depending on what I wear under them. The slimmest fit I wear with a cotton polo shirt and the looser ones with a shirt and sweater.

True about the fit. My favorite blazer is rather slim fitting. However, no one would ever think it was part of a suit. It does indeed depend on what is worn with it. It would look strange if it were worn with looser fitting trousers.

I also don't care for the jetted pockets.
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the constructive comments.

Why the disdain for Valentino anyway? Is this just in comparison to more high end stuff or is it considered cheap in general?

As several of you said, that doesn't really matter anyway - if I feel comfortable in it I will just wear it informally.


I'd take a picture in it but I'm preparing to leave town tomorrow so I don't have much time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit jacket or sportcoat?