or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What Jazz are you listening lately?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Jazz are you listening lately? - Page 4

post #46 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr monty View Post
2) What old (at least 1 year old) jazz have you been listening to lately?

This week's record is Bobby Hutcherson Happenings.

post #47 of 87
What a great album cover.
post #48 of 87
Thread Starter 
Have you heard Hiromi with Stanley Clarke?
post #49 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr monty View Post
Have you heard Hiromi with Stanley Clarke?

Hiromi's appearance at the Jazz Showcase got slagged by Tribune critic Howard Reich: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,131075.column His criticism resembles what Gunther Schuller wrote about Art Tatum in The Swing Era.

I have not seen her live, but I have seen a couple of YouTube clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HcKrd3K8_A Her technique is phenomenal but I'm not a big fan - she sounds soul-less to me.
post #50 of 87
Dewey Redman and Ed Blackwell - Red and Black at Willisau. A constant source of inspiration.
post #51 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogued View Post
Dewey Redman and Ed Blackwell - Red and Black at Willisau. A constant source of inspiration.


Great choice, B. For some reason, Joe Segal (generally an avant garde hater) loves Dewey Redman and he was the only "out" player that Joe would book at the Jazz Showcase. Whoda' thunk it.
post #52 of 87
post #53 of 87
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld111134 View Post
Hiromi's appearance at the Jazz Showcase got slagged by Tribune critic Howard Reich: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,131075.column His criticism resembles what Gunther Schuller wrote about Art Tatum in The Swing Era.

I have not seen her live, but I have seen a couple of YouTube clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HcKrd3K8_A Her technique is phenomenal but I'm not a big fan - she sounds soul-less to me.

I saw her at the Indianapolis Jazz Festival a few years ago. She was with her band.
Unlike that review, she was very good. After reading the review. I don't feel too bad for missing her 4pm Sunday at the showcase. I do plan to be at the showcase for this:

Mar 18 2010 - Mar 21 2010 Joe Lovano Us Five featuring James Weidman (piano), Esperanza Spalding (bass), Otis Brown III (drums), Francisco Mela (drums)

post #54 of 87
Thread Starter 
The Atlanta Jazzfest is returning to Piedmont Park (Memorial Day weekend). I hope this is a sign that the budget is again big enough for big name acts. The past festivals held at Piedmont were some of the best free real jazz festivals around. For big name acts, they were second only to Detroit's jazzfest.
post #55 of 87
1960's recordings of David Brubeck.

I find it amazing the quality of live recordings at the time.
post #56 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr monty View Post
The Atlanta Jazzfest is returning to Piedmont Park (Memorial Day weekend). I hope this is a sign that the budget is again big enough for big name acts. The past festivals held at Piedmont were some of the best free real jazz festivals around. For big name acts, they were second only to Detroit's jazzfest.

Let's hope for less "smooth jazz", a contradiction in terms.
post #57 of 87
Wynton Kelly, Someday my Prince will come.

It's really quite lovely.
post #58 of 87
Lionel Loueke's new album Mwaliko. It's good. Saw him at a workshop a few weeks ago at Berklee. Incredible human being.
post #59 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr monty View Post
I saw her at the Indianapolis Jazz Festival a few years ago. She was with her band.
Unlike that review, she was very good. After reading the review. I don't feel too bad for missing her 4pm Sunday at the showcase. I do plan to be at the showcase for this:

Mar 18 2010 - Mar 21 2010 Joe Lovano Us Five featuring James Weidman (piano), Esperanza Spalding (bass), Otis Brown III (drums), Francisco Mela (drums)


SF'er Brogued and I will be there on Saturday the 20th for the 8:00 p.m. show - PM me if you're interested and we can meet up, Monty.
post #60 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by limester816 View Post
Lionel Loueke's new album Mwaliko. It's good.



Saw him at a workshop a few weeks ago at Berklee. Incredible human being.

saw him with herbie hancock. he almost stole the show. which is prettyhard to do when playing with Vinnie Colaiuta, Nathan East and Herbie himself.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What Jazz are you listening lately?