or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 579

post #8671 of 46452
Seeing this depresses me, making me realize how small and weak I am, even though I'm beating personal records every workout, I'm still moving girl weights. frown.gif

Hell though, I still think working squat sets of 95 lbs for a 120 lb dude is pretty good. Can't wait to get up to 180 that's my goal.

Heheh, in my Facebook bathroom mirror pics, I'm all shredded and badass looking. But as soon as you put me next to an average sized guy as a point of reference, I look like a damn white Ethiopian heh
post #8672 of 46452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post


I'd highly recommend NOT doing normal squats on a smith. The bar of a smith travels on a fixed plane. Your body and spine do not. This could lead to injury.

I love watching the schmucks on the angled smith machine doing squats with their ass going away from the plane of the bar. Every time I see that I think "there's another $50k for a spinal surgeon."

In addition to this, Smith squats require much less work imo from your abs & spinal erectors to keep the back angle constant. That stuff has a huge carryover effect to other exercises, strong abs make one less susceptible to injuries in, say heavy pulls and such. If you have the option to not use the Smith machine, then I see no reason to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post

Seeing this depresses me, making me realize how small and weak I am, even though I'm beating personal records every workout, I'm still moving girl weights. frown.gif

Dude, you're doing the work, staying consistent and seeing results. That's what really matters. Don't fret about the numbers... I mean you'll always find ppl that are putting up lifts that seem unreal to you - then again these dudes may have a decade under the bar. Shit, there are ppl ITT that absolutely smoke my ass in everything (hasturs effortless 3bw dead comes to mind and there are many others), yet I'm just inspired by them to push myself harder, not embarrassed by my lesser results.
post #8673 of 46452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post


Here is a vid I recorded of my DL form. Any critiques? I did 6x365, I was surprised at how straight my back was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreFire View Post

^ I would recommend to start lifting from a deeper body position. I am not an expert but it looks as in the first part of the movement, you are lifting the weight off the ground with your shoulders (i.e. almost do a row). AFAIK the movement is being launched by driving the hip forward and contracting the quads while doing that. Thus, you should try to get down more to the ground with your glute. I am sorry for the bad english.. Anyone else failed trying to explain sth in a foreign language?

No, you are completely right morefire.

CTK, you need to start leaned back and with your ass down more. From the looks of the video the bar is very far off your shins. You could fix your started position easily if you stand up to the bar and have it about 1-2" from your shin and then bend down to grab the bar. You're getting very little leg drive the way you're set up. You need to get the weight started with your quads. You'll know when you've got a good starting position for yourself when you lockout your knees and hips simulatenously.

Also - watch your video and see how your hips are shooting up before the weight breaks the floor? You might want to do a cycle of deficit deadlifts or add in paused leg presses to build some quad power off the floor.
post #8674 of 46452
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post

Seeing this depresses me, making me realize how small and weak I am, even though I'm beating personal records every workout, I'm still moving girl weights. frown.gif

Hell though, I still think working squat sets of 95 lbs for a 120 lb dude is pretty good. Can't wait to get up to 180 that's my goal.

Heheh, in my Facebook bathroom mirror pics, I'm all shredded and badass looking. But as soon as you put me next to an average sized guy as a point of reference, I look like a damn white Ethiopian heh

What TRH said. Just get doing work and you'll get there. Guess who else started at 120 pounds and 5'11"? I know how it feels but one day you're going to look back and smile on all you've accomplished.
post #8675 of 46452
+1 to what chariy and Morefire said. You're not using your legs enough.


Javyn: As I always told my friends when I bring them to the gym: training is not about beating the others but only a competition with yourself. Leave your ego outside of the gym and just do what you need to do. Keep up the good work and everything will look better in a few months icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #8676 of 46452
Thanks. IMO my biggest problem is eating enough, I just don't have a big appetite, never have. You'd think lifting would make me hungrier, but actually, quite the opposite. I literally have to force food down on squat/deadlift days.

At least I'm doing it right though as far as routines go. I am the only dude at the gym who squats. It's kind of funny, people stare and smirk at me from the bench press and calf raise machines.

Tried adding dips after my bench press yesterday....holy shit that's hard. I did about 2 of them, with poor form I'm sure.

Oh yeah, and I have to say, creatine is THE BOMB.

I've been trying to do stronglifts and starting strength routines for the last year but failing because I was just unable to squat 3x a week. I needed a full 7 days recovery after every squat/deadlift session. Not so after the creatine, I'm not sore now, EVER. Creatine and 20 desiccated liver tablets a day made all the difference to my performance in the gym.
post #8677 of 46452
but nothing else will work your arms like they do! I like them a lot.
post #8678 of 46452
Dips? I thought they hit the lower chest/pecs, whatever? Perhaps I'm doing them wrong.

My arms are surprisingly the part of me that's growing the fastest, which is strange b/c I don't do any arm specific exercises at all. Just the most basic compound lifts, squat, dead, b. press, press, rows, pull/chins
post #8679 of 46452
Started at 6'2" and 112lb. You really need to force yourself to eat, I used to have no appetite, but you get used to eating more. Still on days off I don't eat nearly as much as I do on training days. Your lifts will go up, just give it some time.


First day my squat stalled. Well not really. What i hit for 4 reps 2 weeks ago I did for 5 reps, but in my opinion thats still pretty shit.

http://www.connection-fitness.co.uk/Weight_Training_Accessories/Weight_Lifting_Belts/sc344.aspx

kopped belt today, its the brown one. For some reason I can't link directly to the page. I don't have money for one of those nice inzer ones, so ill just stick with this one till I get more moneys. Does it look alright?
post #8680 of 46452
^ I am also quite light and use baby weights whenever I work out.
What helped me progress more and might help you to squat more often is the following (well, at least from my experience):

- reduce intensity --> I know all you see on the net is people fighting for every bit of a rep. But I've noticed when I am doing complex exercises (like squats) and I give everything in every set my regeneration (central nervous system) is just totally fucked. Less is more (was more for me).
- use dextrose as a post workout shake --> tastes like shit but helped me improve my regeneration. also, it will help you increase your calorie intake without any significant improve of food intake (a shake doesnt count as food :>)
post #8681 of 46452
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post

Thanks. IMO my biggest problem is eating enough, I just don't have a big appetite, never have. You'd think lifting would make me hungrier, but actually, quite the opposite. I literally have to force food down on squat/deadlift days.

At least I'm doing it right though as far as routines go. I am the only dude at the gym who squats. It's kind of funny, people stare and smirk at me from the bench press and calf raise machines.

Tried adding dips after my bench press yesterday....holy shit that's hard. I did about 2 of them, with poor form I'm sure.

I wish I could tell you there's a trick but there isn't. When I started at 120, I stuffed my face with food day in and day out. It got to a point where I was throwing up food in my mouth mid-meals and swallowing it back down with water almost daily. Even now, if I want to eat clean it's a struggle to get through some of my meals occasionally.

I always told myself this in my head when I felt like I couldn't eat anymore - "if I don't eat this then I won't grow and the work I put in the gym was all for nothing"
post #8682 of 46452
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown View Post




No, you are completely right morefire.

CTK, you need to start leaned back and with your ass down more. From the looks of the video the bar is very far off your shins. You could fix your started position easily if you stand up to the bar and have it about 1-2" from your shin and then bend down to grab the bar. You're getting very little leg drive the way you're set up. You need to get the weight started with your quads. You'll know when you've got a good starting position for yourself when you lockout your knees and hips simulatenously.

Also - watch your video and see how your hips are shooting up before the weight breaks the floor? You might want to do a cycle of deficit deadlifts or add in paused leg presses to build some quad power off the floor.

Cool guys thanks for the advice.

Something to keep in mind- I'm in a cut, so adding stuff in is not really an option till mid October. And I've been road cycling about 30-50 miles a week which prob doesn't help.

My legs have def got weak since I started cutting ~4 months ago... I remember about 2 months ago being confused by my legs giving out coming off the ground. I guess my body has adapted to take the load off my legs. Squat is down a bit too.

But I will keep all this in mind when I get back in bulk mode. 4 plates should be no problem.
post #8683 of 46452
Then why not do Romanian deadlifts and focus more on the lower back?
Or just reduce weight...
Dieting or biking is not an excuse for not doing the exercises properly :-\
post #8684 of 46452
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreFire View Post

Then why not do Romanian deadlifts and focus more on the lower back?
Or just reduce weight...
Dieting or biking is not an excuse for not doing the exercises properly :-\

Nailed it right on the head.
post #8685 of 46452
I'm just afraid of taking longer to get back up to fighting weight once I'm back on my cut. I was doing 6x385 in April, now I'm only down to 6x365. I guess I will drop the weight to a level my legs can handle, just kinda sucks when I'm able to get more weight off the ground.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts