or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 55

post #811 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
i know i'm replying to a troll, but in case anyone was wondering...Yes it is.

The troll happens to be technically correct... Congenital leptin deficiency, thyroid malfunction... all rare but do cause obesity even in those eating normal diets.
post #812 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKJTG View Post
http://hundredpushups.com/

This website works bud. At the beginning of the summer I started off being able to do ~50 consecutive and in 6 weeks could do 100. I'd really recommend checking it out.

And yep, they're army pushups(being in the Army helps!)

did 83 on my first try, 100 on the second 5mins later

boring.
post #813 of 57256
The high rep 50%1RM deadlifts in Wendler531 are making my power clean go up quickly. I did a stupid power clean yesterday, though, and am lucky I didn't hyper extend my wrists. They are a little crackley today.

The past couple of weeks, I increased the size of one of my 5 meals, but today I weigh less than I have in 3 weeks. I ate and drank (water) a ton yesterday and slept 13 hrs (was beat). I really thought I'd be moving up, not down. The higher rep stuff in Wendler might be burning more cals than my consistently plateaued 5x5 ever did.
post #814 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Grant View Post
The troll happens to be technically correct... Congenital leptin deficiency, thyroid malfunction... all rare but do cause obesity even in those eating normal diets.
leptin is a diet regulating hormone. deficiency results in hyperphagia = overeating. like the vast majority of obesity related genes, congenital leptin deficiency and thyroid malfunction screw up satiety mechanisms so people eat more. metabolism doesn't just do magic and create energy out of nothing.
post #815 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppllzz View Post
did 83 on my first try, 100 on the second 5mins later

boring.

Congrats on being fit! 100 definitely took me a while to work up to.
post #816 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
leptin is a diet regulating hormone. deficiency results in hyperphagia = overeating. like the vast majority of obesity related genes, congenital leptin deficiency and thyroid malfunction screw up satiety mechanisms so people eat more. metabolism doesn't just do magic and create energy out of nothing.

But how the body chooses to use calories for energy versus fat storage does matter. For example, that guy in the Mayo study several years ago who was gaining fat on less than 1000 calories a day.

Semantics too... I think by "overeating" most of us understand that to mean "intentional". Excess calories due to a down-regulated metabolism is another matter.
post #817 of 57256
tonight:

inclines:

225 x 12, 275 x 10, 315 x 8, 365 x 6, 405 x 4, 425 x 3, 365 x 5, 315 x 5, 275 x 4

bent row:

225 x 12, 315 x 10, 325 x 8, 365 x 4, 325 x 7, 275 x 8, 225 x 8

push press:

185 x 12, 225 x 10, 245 x 8, 265 x 3, 225 x 7, 185 x 10, 165 x 10

rope tabatas 3 mins total

500 weighted crunches.

good shit.
post #818 of 57256
Nice work- you doing the inclines powerlifting style or standard?
post #819 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by db_ggmm View Post
The high rep 50%1RM deadlifts in Wendler531 are making my power clean go up quickly. I did a stupid power clean yesterday, though, and am lucky I didn't hyper extend my wrists. They are a little crackley today.

The past couple of weeks, I increased the size of one of my 5 meals, but today I weigh less than I have in 3 weeks. I ate and drank (water) a ton yesterday and slept 13 hrs (was beat). I really thought I'd be moving up, not down. The higher rep stuff in Wendler might be burning more cals than my consistently plateaued 5x5 ever did.

I've been doing the same program for 3 weeks now and I've been losing a little weight too; down about 3lbs. My diet is the same, but it appears that my fat % is dropping a bit according to the mirror. I need to do another caliper test to be sure. Have you noticed an increase in leanness?
post #820 of 57256
standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Grant View Post
Nice work- you doing the inclines powerlifting style or standard?
post #821 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekunk07 View Post
tonight:

inclines:

225 x 12, 275 x 10, 315 x 8, 365 x 6, 405 x 4, 425 x 3, 365 x 5, 315 x 5, 275 x 4

bent row:

225 x 12, 315 x 10, 325 x 8, 365 x 4, 325 x 7, 275 x 8, 225 x 8

push press:

185 x 12, 225 x 10, 245 x 8, 265 x 3, 225 x 7, 185 x 10, 165 x 10

rope tabatas 3 mins total

500 weighted crunches.

good shit.

F-ing wimp!
post #822 of 57256
Fuck the rest of my body is starting to get out of proportion with my calves/forearms... what2do?
post #823 of 57256
I had an uncomfortable conversation with the GF a couple days ago. We were making dinner and she made a veggie stir fry and couscous. I cooked up a pound of ground turkey with a variety of spices and vinegar and ate a 3 portion plate of the 3 items. Then two hours later I finished the turkey.

At the Wii later, she made a couple statements such as... That can't be good for you. That's a lot of meat in one sitting. When I told her that I nearly always pack a full pound of meat for my lunches at work, she said that's not good for digestion.

I was a bit floored. I was surprised she wasn't very trusting of my nutritional knowledge at that moment, despite being healthy as a horse, despite how much I talk about it.

I realize that I have not done that very often in front of her, though - cooking a pound of meat and eating it, so maybe she was shocked to find out that I do this regularly. I think if I tried to tell the average person I have met that I eat five meals a day, two of which contain a half pound of meat, always, they wouldn't believe me.

A couple days later I told her that it's important to me that she believe that I have a good diet, but it's ok if she disagrees. I would be willing to get cholesterol tests and whatnot if she was curious. She seemed to concede, but I am wondering if it will come up again. I widely do not comment on her diet or exercise, but she knows I think strength training and protein consumption is important for balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikkar501 View Post
Have you noticed an increase in leanness?

I looked in the mirror this morning and I thought I looked leaner. I don't mind looking leaner, but I don't want to lose weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent View Post
Fuck the rest of my body is starting to get out of proportion with my calves/forearms... what2do?

Run with it, Popeye.
post #824 of 57256
^^DB- sounds like you are having a patient and healthy conversation with her. Good for you.
Your suggestions sound like good ones.

There is a lot of information out there about "excess protein is bad for you" as we all know, even from doctors. A weightlifters dietary lifestyle spooks a lot of people, it took my wife time to get used to it too.

Be patient, demonstrate that you're healthy as you suggest.

Is she vegetarian by any chance?
post #825 of 57256
help me understand this concept where you give a fuck what a woman thinks?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts