or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 45

post #661 of 57265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikkar501 View Post
I think he's just trying to lose enough to be leaner: 10-12% isn't that lean, but 6-8% is and I bet losing 10lb. of fat would get him down to those numbers.




No problem


Correct. I'm just staying on the diet until i am happy with what i look like. I'm probably around 10% right now. I can still pinch a good amount of skin on my lower stomach and thighs. So once i get rid of that i'll be happy
post #662 of 57265
Did a strength workout about 27 hours after donating blood. It didn't affect my strength at all - in fact I got a pretty good workout. But I was definitely breathing harder than usual.
post #663 of 57265
Some days I really feel like I'm missing 'the secret' which will enable me to make strength and size gains. Today is one of those days.

I know the only real secret is hard work, but for some reason that doesn't seem to be enough? I have all the time to work out that I want. If doubling my training sessions would work, I could do that, but I don't think anyone would suggest I double up a Starting Strength 5x5 program.

I eat ok. I eat right around 2500 cals / day with 200g protein on a chicken day and 160-180 if I eat a different meat. I eat almost entirely unprocessed food that I cook myself. I am 140 lbs which makes me think 2500 is enough. I am slim, but I am not ripped or shredded or anything close. I feel like the mirror tells me I am right around 12-14% BF which is where I want to be for strength gains.

I'm not worried about test levels. My gf and I have been together for 9 months and our libidos are solid.

I work 3x 12hr night shifts / week. I know that fucks with me a little bit, but I get plenty of sleep to offset the best I can.

The hour after working out, I am tired. The next day, my body craves exertion. I'll want to do some squats, just to settle my legs down.

Why am I not benching my body weight?
post #664 of 57265
Quote:
Originally Posted by db_ggmm View Post
Some days I really feel like I'm missing 'the secret' which will enable me to make strength and size gains. Today is one of those days. I know the only real secret is hard work, but for some reason that doesn't seem to be enough? I have all the time to work out that I want. If doubling my training sessions would work, I could do that, but I don't think anyone would suggest I double up a Starting Strength 5x5 program. I eat ok. I eat right around 2500 cals / day with 200g protein on a chicken day and 160-180 if I eat a different meat. I eat almost entirely unprocessed food that I cook myself. I am 140 lbs which makes me think 2500 is enough. I am slim, but I am not ripped or shredded or anything close. I feel like the mirror tells me I am right around 12-14% BF which is where I want to be for strength gains. I'm not worried about test levels. My gf and I have been together for 9 months and our libidos are solid. I work 3x 12hr night shifts / week. I know that fucks with me a little bit, but I get plenty of sleep to offset the best I can. The hour after working out, I am tired. The next day, my body craves exertion. I'll want to do some squats, just to settle my legs down. Why am I not benching my body weight?
a few things. - Firstly, i suck at bench (or at least i think i do). My deadlift 5x5 is literally twice that of my bench (probably not that abnormal, but i feel like my bench is definitely my weakest lift). just wanted to share too. - Secondly, which starting strength are you doing? - I sometime think that incline dumbbell press has been the most helpful to me in terms of benefit to my bench press, so you may want to try subbing that one in for bench every second week or something. It's an "approved" exercise so it might be worth a try. - Lastly, you may want to up your calories a little bit. You're probably getting enough protein, but i'd want to add a bit more fats and/or carbs. couple of roast potatoes, leave the skin on the chicken or drink a bit of full cream milk or something. just a few more calories.
post #665 of 57265
How effective are morning hikes to lose weight?
post #666 of 57265
Quote:
Originally Posted by db_ggmm View Post
Some days I really feel like I'm missing 'the secret' which will enable me to make strength and size gains. Today is one of those days.

I know the only real secret is hard work, but for some reason that doesn't seem to be enough? I have all the time to work out that I want. If doubling my training sessions would work, I could do that, but I don't think anyone would suggest I double up a Starting Strength 5x5 program.

I eat ok. I eat right around 2500 cals / day with 200g protein on a chicken day and 160-180 if I eat a different meat. I eat almost entirely unprocessed food that I cook myself. I am 140 lbs which makes me think 2500 is enough. I am slim, but I am not ripped or shredded or anything close. I feel like the mirror tells me I am right around 12-14% BF which is where I want to be for strength gains.

I'm not worried about test levels. My gf and I have been together for 9 months and our libidos are solid.

I work 3x 12hr night shifts / week. I know that fucks with me a little bit, but I get plenty of sleep to offset the best I can.

The hour after working out, I am tired. The next day, my body craves exertion. I'll want to do some squats, just to settle my legs down.

Why am I not benching my body weight?

I feel your frustration man, I consider my bench to be sub-par compared to my other lifts. Make sure your technique is dialed in as close to perfect as you can get it; benching correctly can make a world of difference.

There are many muscles that work together on the bench press; you have your lats, pecs, front delts, triceps, and rear delts. If one of those links is weak your entire bench is going to suffer. That's one of the problems I have with the Starting Strength programs. Sure, they are great for inexperienced lifters looking to gain strength but such a simple program WILL lead to a plateau eventually. There just isn't enough assistance and specialization work included to keep your gains moving for a long period of time.

Lastly, try upping your caloric intake as hendrix suggested. Throw in an extra 500 cal. per day from clean sources and good fats and you should start gaining weight which will bring hypertrophy and strength gains along as well. Building your body is a long, hard process but damn is it worth it!
post #667 of 57265
Despite the way it feels, losing weight isn't a mysterious process. It's a simple matter of burning more calories than you eat. But, if it were really that simple, none of us would have a weight problem, would we? Weight loss can be such a struggle that we start thinking we have to do something drastic to see results -- diets, pills or those weird fitness gadgets on infomercials that promise instant success. The true secret to weight loss is this: Make small changes each and every day and you'll slowly (but surely) lose those extra pounds. The key is to forget about instant results and settle in for the long run.
post #668 of 57265
Quote:
Originally Posted by db_ggmm View Post
Some days I really feel like I'm missing 'the secret' which will enable me to make strength and size gains. Today is one of those days.

I know the only real secret is hard work, but for some reason that doesn't seem to be enough? I have all the time to work out that I want. If doubling my training sessions would work, I could do that, but I don't think anyone would suggest I double up a Starting Strength 5x5 program.

I eat ok. I eat right around 2500 cals / day with 200g protein on a chicken day and 160-180 if I eat a different meat. I eat almost entirely unprocessed food that I cook myself. I am 140 lbs which makes me think 2500 is enough. I am slim, but I am not ripped or shredded or anything close. I feel like the mirror tells me I am right around 12-14% BF which is where I want to be for strength gains.

I'm not worried about test levels. My gf and I have been together for 9 months and our libidos are solid.

I work 3x 12hr night shifts / week. I know that fucks with me a little bit, but I get plenty of sleep to offset the best I can.

The hour after working out, I am tired. The next day, my body craves exertion. I'll want to do some squats, just to settle my legs down.

Why am I not benching my body weight?

Are you still considering the 5/3/1? I started making gains again (bench among others) after making the switch from the 5x5. I attribute it to attempting heavier loads and a greater number of assistance movements (I do weighted dips, DB Incline Press and Flys on chest day).

Out of curiosity, how often do you employ a spotter when you bench? FWIW, it seems to give me a mental edge when I have one...
post #669 of 57265
Thanks for the advices.

I work out in a home gym, so never have a spotter. I have, on rare occasion, failed to make my 5th rep and have used the safety bars, so I don't fear that, but I also never throw an extra 15% on and "see what I can do".

I am still considering Wendler 5 3 1. I have a program for it written up with the assistance exercises that I can do at home. I might start it up in the first week of July. As he says in the book, why not give it a try? The worst that can happen is I maintain what I've got. I'm not going to get weaker on it and what I am currently doing isn't doing anything amazing anyway.

I like the idea of pushing the last set as far as you can. Technically, if you do that and calculate a 1RM from it, you can hit a "PR" every week. I find that very attractive.
post #670 of 57265
Two cycles of Boring but Big has done wonders for my overhead press (+15%) but set my bench press back (-10%). Weird.
post #671 of 57265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikkar501 View Post
There are many muscles that work together on the bench press; you have your lats, pecs, front delts, triceps, and rear delts. If one of those links is weak your entire bench is going to suffer. That's one of the problems I have with the Starting Strength programs. Sure, they are great for inexperienced lifters looking to gain strength but such a simple program WILL lead to a plateau eventually. There just isn't enough assistance and specialization work included to keep your gains moving for a long period of time.

This.

These things always vary from person to person. At 132lbs dripping wet, I can easily bench close to 2X my bodyweight and do dips with 80+ lbs on the dip belt and pullups with +50lbs but my squats suck - I struggle to do 135lbs back squats with good form below parallel.

You might want to throw in a variety of compound exercises to strengthen your various muscles that contribute to the bench. How about weighted dips, close grip bench presses, diamond pushups, etc. to strengthen all the musculature that are employed on the bench press? Over time, your bench numbers will increase.
post #672 of 57265
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that for my first three or four years of lifting.. I was basically benching like shit. I mean I did the whole "limp-ass-no-back-arch" thing and kept wondering why my numbers werent going up.

Thank goodness I stumbled upon a good instructional vid on a certain lifting forum and GOD did I realize how bad my form was. Having a friend check my lifting form and correcting it added poundage to my bench immediately (no surprises there I guess).

I'm not implying here that you have bad form, just thought I'd mention this as benching came up.
post #673 of 57265
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdobalina View Post
Two cycles of Boring but Big has done wonders for my overhead press (+15%) but set my bench press back (-10%). Weird.

That is weird. OP performance is supposed to have a lot to do with bench performance. Maybe you are fresh for your OP day, but un-recovered for bench day?

I'll post my 5 3 1 plan for critique eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf View Post
These things always vary from person to person. At 132lbs dripping wet, I can easily bench close to 2X my bodyweight and do dips with 80+ lbs on the dip belt and pullups with +50lbs but my squats suck - I struggle to do 135lbs back squats with good form below parallel.

This is still insane to me, but it was 10 yrs of upper body training, right? A 132 lb male benching 260 is in the top 1% of the lifting population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrH View Post
I'm not implying here that you have bad form, just thought I'd mention this as benching came up.

My form is at least decent. If anything, my ocd need for perfect form may hold me back.
post #674 of 57265
Tried low bar squats today... didn't really feel like my thing. Maybe I'm just too inflexible for them.
post #675 of 57265
Feast your eyes on my dream body: ETA: It was a picture of Zac E. on the beach.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts