or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3750

post #56236 of 57260
I enjoy the endorphin high from lifting weights, the better sleep that night, and overall if I have a good workout I'll be much more relaxed over the next two days.

Other than that I work out because I'm vain. I do think men are more likely to look other men over when it comes to having muscles. Women love a fit body too, but men are more conscious about it. I don't think it's sexual at all, but I think there is something primal about squaring up against another man. If I think of all the men I've butted heads with over the years, the ones that have been the most persistant have been taller than me, or while they may not have been muscular, weigh more than me. Guys also notice if girls want you. I hang out with a lot of nerds who are not really in shape, or the most well put together guys around, and if I talk to one of their lady friends or girlfriends, they start to feel very uncomfortable even if there is no flirting at all, and I have a pretty chill non threatening personality.

I think this has circular benefits because this stuff makes other men see you as kind of a leader, and if women notice that it will make you more attractive.
post #56237 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post

I enjoy the endorphin high from lifting weights, the better sleep that night, and overall if I have a good workout I'll be much more relaxed over the next two days.

Other than that I work out because I'm vain. I do think men are more likely to look other men over when it comes to having muscles. Women love a fit body too, but men are more conscious about it. I don't think it's sexual at all, but I think there is something primal about squaring up against another man. If I think of all the men I've butted heads with over the years, the ones that have been the most persistant have been taller than me, or while they may not have been muscular, weigh more than me. Guys also notice if girls want you. I hang out with a lot of nerds who are not really in shape, or the most well put together guys around, and if I talk to one of their lady friends or girlfriends, they start to feel very uncomfortable even if there is no flirting at all, and I have a pretty chill non threatening personality.

I think this has circular benefits because this stuff makes other men see you as kind of a leader, and if women notice that it will make you more attractive.

 

I think the meat of your post basically states that it makes you more self confident, which is a pretty good quality to have in general unless you're a pompous dick.

post #56238 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post

I enjoy the endorphin high from lifting weights, the better sleep that night, and overall if I have a good workout I'll be much more relaxed over the next two days.

Other than that I work out because I'm vain. I do think men are more likely to look other men over when it comes to having muscles. Women love a fit body too, but men are more conscious about it. I don't think it's sexual at all, but I think there is something primal about squaring up against another man. If I think of all the men I've butted heads with over the years, the ones that have been the most persistant have been taller than me, or while they may not have been muscular, weigh more than me. Guys also notice if girls want you. I hang out with a lot of nerds who are not really in shape, or the most well put together guys around, and if I talk to one of their lady friends or girlfriends, they start to feel very uncomfortable even if there is no flirting at all, and I have a pretty chill non threatening personality.

I think this has circular benefits because this stuff makes other men see you as kind of a leader, and if women notice that it will make you more attractive.

Your post made me smile because I totally agree with you on this. 

 

Also, on the other matter, I do exercise for the sake of it. I am a fitness junkie one would say. I like all kinds of training. I lift weights, I do Body Pump, Body Attack, Grit Series, I jog, I do HIIT, I did yoga (didn't like it), I did pilates (I got tired of it), I swim when the weather is appropiate... and I do all that (and a few more things) just because I like to do it. I don't compete with others while doing so, or try to obtain a certain physique, I just enjoy myself and the atmosphere when doing so. Nevertheless, there is always a vanity component in all of this... I want to look (but mostly feel) good. I don't want Gregg Plitt's body (R.I.P.) but I do want an athletic, functional, good looking one... and that is not that hard to get, really. 

For lifting weights I prefer to be by myself but for other activities I enjoy the collective classes, the overall vibe is usually outstanding. You even make new friends with some people you never thought you could be friends with...  

post #56239 of 57260
Exercise is also very important for mental health. That, vanity, and to balance out my smoking are my reasons. Less so now that it's become a habit.
post #56240 of 57260
I like working out because I know it mentally makes me feel a lot better, more so than any anti depressant i've ever taken.

Not far behind that though, is doing it for the girls, and my own vanity.
post #56241 of 57260
Got my sample pack today:

post #56242 of 57260
Where's the FitTea and waist trainer?
post #56243 of 57260
I wasn't really saying that vanity is a terrible motive or anything, just more that the standards are a bit messed up.

When professional athletes are classed as DYEL it's a bit weird.

It's to the point where WWE wrestlers are the only non-bodybuilding athletes with respectable bodies by internet standards.

Everyone is either DYEL or fat. It's just not reality.
post #56244 of 57260

I've been thinking about how to best answer the question that the thread is posing right now and the best I can come up with is as follows.


I've had self image issues since I injured my face in college. Associated with that, obviously, is self confidence etc etc etc. I'm a pretty smart person, but it just makes me really self conscious. SF has been great for me because I like how I dress way more now and feel a lot more confident with that. Additionally, lifting and staying active makes me feel great in my own skin and I'm pretty happy with that.


Am I vain? Sure, slightly. I lift to look good. Like @MarkL said, it's great for my mental health too. I was miserable in school last semester. I've made working out a much bigger priority since I got back from winter break and I'm doing about the same academically but I feel much better overall. I've also been dating someone for a bit and she's pretty damn attractive and I'm looking forward to spending time with her at the beach etc this summer, so there's obviously that. 


I went to a hot yoga class with her recently. Not really my thing, but I think I might keep going because it's the kind of workout I need once in a while. I wouldn't ever go by myself, so there's that additional benefit. Though, we have free classes at our school gym. I might check those out tbh.

 

Side note: Arms are at 15.5" right now. Hoping to hit 16 by Mid-end may. Would be the first time ever for that I think.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

I wasn't really saying that vanity is a terrible motive or anything, just more that the standards are a bit messed up.

When professional athletes are classed as DYEL it's a bit weird.

It's to the point where WWE wrestlers are the only non-bodybuilding athletes with respectable bodies by internet standards.

Everyone is either DYEL or fat. It's just not reality.

 

I think it's weird in the US because of NFL players. Most look huge no matter what. I think people think of receivers as the 'athletic' body type. If you use the 'look huge in clothes' test, a lot of MMA fighters wouldn't fit the bill and they're arguably pretty nasty athletes.

I think rowers tend to have pretty good looking bodies aesthetically speaking.

post #56245 of 57260
I think there is something to the NFL, and maybe even more influential, every boy who grew up in the 80's idolized WWF wrestlers, Sylvester Stallone, and Arnold Schwarzenegger. If you watch old documentaries, look at the bodies of American soldiers in WWII and Vietnam. You know they are athletic but they probably would not turn many heads.

Just had the Naked Goat whey. It tastes just like goat milk. I'd use it if I was the type to add a dollop of peanut butter, or half a banana, but I'm not. It would be a good choice if you mix other stuff with your protein shakes. People say goat whey is easier to digest and does not bloat like cow whey.
Edited by Reggs - 3/21/16 at 7:09pm
post #56246 of 57260
It's the combination of the Rippetoe nut huggers + the BB.com effect. Strength über alles / Size über alles. The most important thing for the average Joe is to find a competitive sport or physical hobby and train for it. It keeps you accountable and drives your training. Who gives a shit if you're under 200 lbs., or not the strongest guy in the world? Who gives a shit if you're not training for aesthetics? (SS will T-Rex you, brah!)

Maybe it's just the circles I run in, but I don't know any gym rats. Everyone I know that's in good shape has a major hobby that's a sport or physical activity. Team sports, individual sports, hiking, rock climbing... whatever. I've also noticed all the people I know who have lost weight and kept it off fit in this category too.

Even the people I've known who just do Starting Strength to get in shape eventually transition to powerlifting or some other competitive activity.

This is the problem I've had with consistency going to the gym. No real goals other than that nebulous "get in shape."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

If you use the 'look huge in clothes' test, a lot of MMA fighters wouldn't fit the bill and they're arguably pretty nasty athletes.

DYEL???? 5'10" 135 not a real man!!!!! Look at that skinny marathon runner physique! Drink that milk brah! Squatz-n-oatz!

post #56247 of 57260
^To be fair that guy probably weighs 150-160 in the photo

Americans are definitely more fixated on weighing as much as possible than other nationalities
Maybe because 91kg doesn't sound as good as 200lb

But I would say most (almost all) amateur athletes and weight lifters are carrying more body fat than is healthy
Because they eat too much
post #56248 of 57260
Yeah, I get that. My only point is that the strength nut party line is that he would be more competitive if he put on more mass and went up a few weight classes, and that he's not a man since he doesn't weigh 200.
post #56249 of 57260
I thought your point was that people should train neither for absolute strength nor aesthetics

That only some vague concept of athleticism or participation is a legitimate reason for training

I've been training for years without any concern for performance or size
Originally just so I could fuck more girls , now that I'm married just so I like what I see in the mirror

Again imo there is no better reason for amateurs to train as every other reason is equally futile if you aren't making a living from it
post #56250 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

I wasn't really saying that vanity is a terrible motive or anything, just more that the standards are a bit messed up.

When professional athletes are classed as DYEL it's a bit weird.

It's to the point where WWE wrestlers are the only non-bodybuilding athletes with respectable bodies by internet standards.

Everyone is either DYEL or fat. It's just not reality.

WWE people are fat as fuck
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts