or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3741

post #56101 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post

Infinite emg studies that show DB's are much more effective than BB bench. The most effective BB variation for hypertrophy is apparently the guillotine press anyway. Unless the barbell bench is part of your sport or you just really love the movement it's not really worth it. I cycle it in as a second or third movement because I like it but haven't focused on it since hypertrophy became my goal.
What are you doing for chest/pressing? When I was putting my home gym together I looked into DBs.... even with the cheapest 10lb plates I was looking at like $300 for 200lb of weight. Not really crazy about heavy dips either.
post #56102 of 57262

Depends really.

 

Current program on days I do pressing movements are Monday and Friday

 

Mon: (reps approx)

Low Inc DB Bench 4x4-6

Banded Inc DB Flys 4x15,12,10,8

Weighted Dips 4xfail

Shoulder complex (varies)

Tricep complex (varies)

 

Friday:

High Inc DB 4x8-10

Flat BB 4x10,8,6,4

Seated Military quater reps (8 reps mid, 8 top, 8 bottom)

Side Raise Partials/Full rom superset

Rear Fly/Face pull superset

Dec CG Bench if I feel like it

post #56103 of 57262
Vegetable shakes every morning have definitely changed the smell of my farts.
post #56104 of 57262

Some pictures of my physique progression with comments.

 

Physique pics (Click to show)

 

Autumn 2011. Started college and began lifting regularly. 

About 170-175 lbs.

 

 

Summer 2012. Had now been on a caloric surplus and was doing the Iron Addicts Simple Power Based Routine (IA SPBR) which was pretty much considered "the best" routine in this thread at the time.185-190 lbs.

 

 

Early spring 2013. After a year and a half of decent lifting and some muscle gains I wanted to cut. 

At this point in time Leangains Intermittent Fasting and minimalistic training was really big, and I was quite into both. It worked anyway.

I would guess I was 180-185 lbs in this pic.

 

 

End result of the cut, May 2013. This pic was taken after carb depletion and a couple of celebration meals for ending the cut. 

I probably took it a bit far, but I wanted to test myself and see how far I could go. Strength didn't suffer that much, but I wasn't particularly strong either.

175 lbs, barely any legs.

 

 

Late summer 2014. At the beginning of 2014 I was tired of training for aesthetics so joined a powerlifting club and started to train and compete with them.

This pic is after half a year of powerlifting training. Was training about twice as much as pre-powerlifting and much stronger. 190-195 lbs in the pic.

 

 

Winter 2015. Not much to say besides that the lifts were going up and training was fun, although demanding.

200 lbs, mostly legs.

 

 

Autumn 2015. Taken before my last meet. About 210-215 lbs.

The meet went well, but at this point I had developed some tendinitis in my left knee and my back was bothering me. Not because of bad technique, but rather just too much and not knowing when to take some time off. X-ray showed the start of disc protrusion in the very low back, and I so I have taken a break from powerlifting and am now lifting more casually and a bit less.

 

post #56105 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

Some pictures of my physique progression with comments.
Physique pics (Click to show)



Autumn 2011. Started college and began lifting regularly. 
About 170-175 lbs.




Summer 2012. Had now been on a caloric surplus and was doing the Iron Addicts Simple Power Based Routine (IA SPBR) which was pretty much considered "the best" routine in this thread at the time.185-190 lbs.




Early spring 2013. After a year and a half of decent lifting and some muscle gains I wanted to cut. 
At this point in time Leangains Intermittent Fasting and minimalistic training was really big, and I was quite into both. It worked anyway.
I would guess I was 180-185 lbs in this pic.




End result of the cut, May 2013. This pic was taken after carb depletion and a couple of celebration meals for ending the cut. 
I probably took it a bit far, but I wanted to test myself and see how far I could go. Strength didn't suffer that much, but I wasn't particularly strong either.
175 lbs, barely any legs.




Late summer 2014. At the beginning of 2014 I was tired of training for aesthetics so joined a powerlifting club and started to train and compete with them.
This pic is after half a year of powerlifting training. Was training about twice as much as pre-powerlifting and much stronger. 190-195 lbs in the pic.




Winter 2015. Not much to say besides that the lifts were going up and training was fun, although demanding.
200 lbs, mostly legs.




Autumn 2015. Taken before my last meet. About 210-215 lbs.
The meet went well, but at this point I had developed some tendinitis in my left knee and my back was bothering me. Not because of bad technique, but rather just too much and not knowing when to take some time off. X-ray showed the start of disc protrusion in the very low back, and I so I have taken a break from powerlifting and am now lifting more casually and a bit less.

man you started off looking like Christian bale in the machinist. Good vastus medialus development. .
post #56106 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract View Post


man you started off looking like Christian bale in the machinist. Good vastus medialus development. .

 

Yeah, I'm skinny by nature. 6'3 with small wrists and frame accentuates it.

Legs def respond best on me. Of course it also has to do with how I've trained over the last years.

Squatting and deadlifting often will build good legs, while a high arch bench press might not add as much mass to the upper body.


Edited by conceptionist - 2/24/16 at 3:30pm
post #56107 of 57262

That abdominal vascularity tho. I only get veins in my upper and lower abs/pelvic region. You have fucking vines throughout. Crazy.

post #56108 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGoCrimson View Post

That abdominal vascularity tho. I only get veins in my upper and lower abs/pelvic region. You have fucking vines throughout. Crazy.

I know it's insane. I doubt I could ever reach that low of a body fat percentage without seriously playing with my hormones at an unbearable calorie level.
post #56109 of 57262
Got some gyno on those last couple of pics?
post #56110 of 57262
That doesn't look like gyno, just weird shaped pecs
post #56111 of 57262
Tried out the shank levers.

They were pretty intense. Not sure if the difficulty was the amount of core stabilisation required or actual lat strength. I suppose either is good for deadlifts if that's what you're looking for. Not sure whether they'd help actual lat development over the usual suspects.
post #56112 of 57262

@conceptionist , are you sure your knee pain isn't from incorrect patellar tracking due to more VM than VL development?

post #56113 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGoCrimson View Post

That abdominal vascularity tho. I only get veins in my upper and lower abs/pelvic region. You have fucking vines throughout. Crazy.
That was after carb and salt depletion though and then some massive carb and salt heavy meals. Loaded the system pretty good and it was the only time I've had that vascularity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

@conceptionist
 , are you sure your knee pain isn't from incorrect patellar tracking due to more VM than VL development?
Maybe. I also have lower arches on my left foot. Tendinitis is just my own diagnosis. I'm meeting a sports physio next week and I'll ask him. Thanks for the heads up.
post #56114 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post


That was after carb and salt depletion though and then some massive carb and salt heavy meals. Loaded the system pretty good and it was the only time I've had that vascularity.
Maybe. I also have lower arches on my left foot. Tendinitis is just my own diagnosis. I'm meeting a sports physio next week and I'll ask him. Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry, had that backwards. VL>VM is more common. Patella kinda collapses in when loaded heavy when that happens. More chondromalacia than patellar tendinitis though.

As a side note, I shadowed an ortho sports guy in the OR the other day. Got to watch a meniscus repair as well as an ACL reconstruction. Was pretty cool seeing everything done through the scope.

post #56115 of 57262

Ortho surgeries are more fun when they get the mallets out

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts