or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3716

post #55726 of 57266
Nah that wasn't directed at you.
post #55727 of 57266

I have a terrible personality so working out and wearing overpriced clothes are my only chance. So far I've only intimidated other people and made myself feel worse for being so much more superficial than everyone else.

post #55728 of 57266
I did zurcher squats today.



It's easily my favorite squat. Not much spinal compression, and I feel it in my gluts so much more than "regular" squats. This is good because I want to gain more in my gluts without my quads getting too large. It's also easy to go ass to the ground, unlike this pic. It really makes the crux of my elbows sore as hell. It's a hr after my workout and my arms are still red from it. I saw this online, but it looks too goofy to use, and I dont want to buy my own special equipment just for 1 kind of lift.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

I'm not really sure that this is correct.

From wiki:

In men, approximately 5% of testosterone undergoes 5α-reduction to form the more potent androgen, dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT has two to three times greater androgen receptor
 affinity than testosterone and has 15-30 times greater affinity than adrenal androgens.[4]
 The dissociation rate of testosterone from the receptor is five-fold faster than DHT.[5]


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrotestosterone

Mirrors what we learned in endocrine the other week. The effect of male pattern baldness are a local effect, i.e. the hair follicle converts the T to DHT. So 'disabling' conversion there is adequate to stop the effect. I'd rather do something local/topical than systemic. Rogaine isn't a DHT conversion enzyme blocker though.

Interesting. I'll read more about how DHT is used in the body outside of MPB when I get a chance. I used Rogaine before and it's not much of a hassle to put up with at all. I stopped using it because it would cause these small blemishes on my skin that would last for a long time. I looked online and it did not seem like a common problem though.
post #55729 of 57266

I might have to give zercher's a go again especially if the hack squat doesn't work for me. I've been doing goblet squats, but it's hard to go heavy-ish on them. Though I guess getting up to 100lbs for them should be good enough in time. The gym I'm going to start going to has DB's up to 120-140 I think, so I'll be able to get a solid workout.

Front squats load my spine too much, I wonder if zerchers are a better alternative. I always forget about them since they look so unpleasant. 

post #55730 of 57266
That squat looks interesting … may have to try as well.
post #55731 of 57266

My gym was closed today. Stupid snow.

post #55732 of 57266
lol that harness is fucking ridiculous
post #55733 of 57266
It looks like one of those scoliosis braces … wasn't quite sure wtf to make of it at first glance. But yeah I would love to see someone show up at the gym with one of those.
post #55734 of 57266
that's like that fat powerlifter "cannot move my elbows" solution to be able to front squat, which is what makes me laugh. might be good for zerchers if you absolutely have to do them.
post #55735 of 57266

I don't get why it's so hard to understand that there's a squat variation that loads the spine less so you can do additional volume without as much spinal compression...

post #55736 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

I don't get why it's so hard to understand that there's a squat variation that loads the spine less so you can do additional volume without as much spinal compression...

how does it load the spine less? the weight is still being bore from the shoulders.
post #55737 of 57266
True

It just forces the back to stay in extension (or you'll drop the weight)

Trap bar deadlifts seem just as safe and effective but less painful/dorky to do
post #55738 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by APK View Post

Rogaine without some sort of androgen blocker is basically useless, since Rogaine only promotes growth, but does nothing to stop or slow down hair loss.

Do you have a reference for this?

I mean
A) no one knows how minoxidil works
B) if there are more new follicles coming out than old ones becoming quiescent then the overall effect is of more hair

I'm probably going to give it a shot my MPB is not that bad
post #55739 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagrangian View Post

that's like that fat powerlifter "cannot move my elbows" solution to be able to front squat, which is what makes me laugh. might be good for zerchers if you absolutely have to do them.
Some people are just not made to clean grip.... I am one of them and am only somewhat of a fat ass.

I bought the smaller version of that harness.... I used it like once. It's for sale if anyone is interested foo.gif
post #55740 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post

I did zurcher squats today.



It's easily my favorite squat. Not much spinal compression, and I feel it in my gluts so much more than "regular" squats. This is good because I want to gain more in my gluts without my quads getting too large. It's also easy to go ass to the ground, unlike this pic. It really makes the crux of my elbows sore as hell. It's a hr after my workout and my arms are still red from it. I saw this online, but it looks too goofy to use, and I dont want to buy my own special equipment just for 1 kind of lift.


Interesting. I'll read more about how DHT is used in the body outside of MPB when I get a chance. I used Rogaine before and it's not much of a hassle to put up with at all. I stopped using it because it would cause these small blemishes on my skin that would last for a long time. I looked online and it did not seem like a common problem though.
I haven't played with zerchers in years, might have to try them this week.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts