or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3633

post #54481 of 57263
alex viada is the exception to the rule. wouldn't use him as an example for anything other than "genetic freaks"
post #54482 of 57263

Also wonder what Viadas training schedule looks like.

 

Getting to 800 squat and be a good endurance athlete must require an immense volume and effort. 

Considering the hours endurance athletes put in I wonder how multi discipline athletes like him make it work.

post #54483 of 57263

There's a reason why you always see people post about him... ie they're very few and far between. 

post #54484 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

What program are you taking up in NYU!

FT MBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordion View Post

How much are you looking at for the 3br east village/1br bk?

Yeah our max is $6,000/mo.
post #54485 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post

FT MBA

 

Have fun! Loved my time in the MBA program.  While I was taking my MBA (gulp) sixteen years ago, I helped train competitors in the local university's bodybuilding competition.  Haha!  Those were fun days.

 

My days setting PRs are long gone as I train mostly to stay healthy and relatively fit for my kids these days, but I'm still happy learning new skills.  Picked up the jump rope recently and having tons of fun.  Even though I suck and take several days to pick up variations.

post #54486 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

Where???? That is a smoking deal.
Wolverson fitness.
Here's the link:
http://www.wolverson-fitness.co.uk/BLACK-BISON-PLATES-25KG-OFFER_A1NH85.aspx?nh=314516
post #54487 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Have fun! Loved my time in the MBA program.  While I was taking my MBA (gulp) sixteen years ago, I helped train competitors in the local university's bodybuilding competition.  Haha!  Those were fun days.

My days setting PRs are long gone as I train mostly to stay healthy and relatively fit for my kids these days, but I'm still happy learning new skills.  Picked up the jump rope recently and having tons of fun.  Even though I suck and take several days to pick up variations.

Thanks! Bitching about money aside, I think it's going to be great.
post #54488 of 57263
So what does a novice bodybuilding program look like? I'm at that odd stage in weightlifting now, been lifting for 3 years, to where linear gains has all but been used up and going to the gym and "lift more than yesterday" is getting me no where. I guess maybe I need to go from 4 days in gym to 5 or start playing around with volume and intensity..
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

Also wonder what Viadas training schedule looks like.

Getting to 800 squat and be a good endurance athlete must require an immense volume and effort. 
Considering the hours endurance athletes put in I wonder how multi discipline athletes like him make it work.

He's local here and is a damn good athlete and training, also gives out free advice all the time, great guy. All his accomplishments need to come with a caveat. For example I was telling my sister about him who also runs those crazy long races and she sad that's not possible, she checked her ultra database thing and ever ultra marathon he has entered he came out as a DNF. His 700lbs bull is in a suit. And his only recorded mile is significantly under what he goes by. I'm not hating on the guy, he's a specimin of strength and conditioning. Alas though I understand it's a dog eat dog world out there in fitness and he's made his niche, so good on him! I just feel bad for the dumbass reading mens health and fitness thinking they need to start doing 1RM and running timed miles.

I ride my bike 3 miles to the gym, it's a BMX bike so I gotta work even harder. I do this 4x a week, I don't feel it affects my strength in the gym. Low intensity steady state is the way to go.
post #54489 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

Also wonder what Viadas training schedule looks like.

I would guess the emphasis is on the anaerobic side of things, i.e. weight training as opposed to a lot of endurance stuff. I don't really know how the interplay is between the two ends of the training spectrum, but intuition would have it that a big squat like that would be a lot ´harder' to maintain than endurance capability.
post #54490 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon View Post

alex viada is the exception to the rule. wouldn't use him as an example for anything other than "genetic freaks"

I trained with my friend for 4+ months who had him as a coach. It's simple, don't need to over complicate it even if you're working on three aspects of training. Week was a mix of strength days, hypertrophy days, and endurance days. When training like that you have to up the carbs, something like add 400carbs to what you were already eating.
post #54491 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

So what does a novice bodybuilding program look like? I'm at that odd stage in weightlifting now, been lifting for 3 years, to where linear gains has all but been used up and going to the gym and "lift more than yesterday" is getting me no where. I guess maybe I need to go from 4 days in gym to 5 or start playing around with volume and intensity..

 

Get on a daily undulating periodization program. DUP in short. Basically a periodization structure that varies on multiple levels, from heavy to light days, high/low stress days, high rep to low rep lifting, training blocks with different emphasis, etc, but generally higher frequency. Generally I would say its just a more sophisticated method. Many studies have shown its effectiveness over linear periodization, especially for experienced lifters but also novices. 

 

I know I'm a Sheiko fanboy but those programs are really great for getting solid programs without dealing with any hassle yourself. If its to any value for you, I know one guy who is very competitive in Men's Physique (meaning he basically only lifts for aesthetics) and he uses the Sheiko programs for the powerlifts and adds 4-5 bodybuilding exercises to each day. He's happy with his results.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

He's local here and is a damn good athlete and training, also gives out free advice all the time, great guy. All his accomplishments need to come with a caveat. For example I was telling my sister about him who also runs those crazy long races and she sad that's not possible, she checked her ultra database thing and ever ultra marathon he has entered he came out as a DNF. His 700lbs bull is in a suit. And his only recorded mile is significantly under what he goes by. I'm not hating on the guy, he's a specimin of strength and conditioning. Alas though I understand it's a dog eat dog world out there in fitness and he's made his niche, so good on him! I just feel bad for the dumbass reading mens health and fitness thinking they need to start doing 1RM and running timed miles.
 

 

Hmm... yeah I've wondered how great he really is. No doubt he would be better at either if he just stuck to one of them.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lagrangian View Post


I would guess the emphasis is on the anaerobic side of things, i.e. weight training as opposed to a lot of endurance stuff. I don't really know how the interplay is between the two ends of the training spectrum, but intuition would have it that a big squat like that would be a lot ´harder' to maintain than endurance capability.

 

Sounds reasonable. From my understanding it takes less training to get up to a "decent" level in running than strength.

post #54492 of 57263
I've tried DUP and actually got weaker. I'm a god awful athlete and pretty pitiful, like I need to focus all my energy into one thing to get any sort of results.
post #54493 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

I've tried DUP and actually got weaker. I'm a god awful athlete and pretty pitiful, like I need to focus all my energy into one thing to get any sort of results.

 

Sounds like me. I rarely push more than three and a half hours a week these days. No long distance sports to speak of that require more of an investment in time; I warm up, go as heavy as I can for 6-8 reps, a couple of sets of all of 3-4 basic compound bodybuilding exercises.  HIIT either on the treadmill or 20 minutes with the jump rope. Done in 50-55 minutes, back to the little kids.

 

On the plus side, I've been relatively injury and pain free most months of the year; it's been a couple of years since I seriously hurt my lower back (it used to put me out of commission at least once a year, for a few days or so).  I can't deny that much of my current size is likely due to my crazy days as a teenager and in my early 20s when my 1RM was in the high 300s for the bench press and low 500s in the squat. Am I coasting these days?  Some might interpret it that way, but at this point my current regimen really works for what life demands of me.

post #54494 of 57263
Anyone want she-Powerlifts for their lady? Local Marshalls is selling them for 60 CAD per, or 45 USD.
post #54495 of 57263
Not enjoying buy side equity research as much as I thought. I can seen it being good for someone with a few years experience on the sell side who really knows their industry or at a huge firm like blackrock, which has a proper grad scheme and training, but even though the AUM here is $200bn they don't really have anyway to train grads. Hours are great and the work is interesting, but i'm going to go do m&a. Should be easy to get with an elite boutique and a bulge bracket on my cv.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts