or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3610

post #54136 of 57266

4 plate DL looking good there @Benesyed

How much is your PB? IIRC you used to be a pretty good deadlifter, no?

Deadlift more often and the forearms will start growing. Heavy carries seems to be good as well.

 

 

Re: grip

Always use hook grip now. Mixed grip feels wrong. The downside with hoogkrip is just that it can cause damage on the thumbs.

Last heavy deadlift session the skin detached from the thumbnail at the fingertip. Hurts like shit and I can see under the nail. Will prob tape the thumbs from here on.

post #54137 of 57266

Yeaa.... he's doing shrugs.

post #54138 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post



Re: grip
Always use hook grip now. Mixed grip feels wrong. The downside with hoogkrip is just that it can cause damage on the thumbs.
Last heavy deadlift session the skin detached from the thumbnail at the fingertip. Hurts like shit and I can see under the nail. Will prob tape the thumbs from here on.

Why not just go for a regular overhand grip if your not doing max lifts? I always do that because mixed is so weird (need to have a wider grip than I prefer if going mixed, which makes involving glutes more difficult since I like to push out my knees against my arms)
post #54139 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGoCrimson View Post
 

Yeaa.... he's doing shrugs.

Oh, missed that for some reason.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb0bo View Post


Why not just go for a regular overhand grip if your not doing max lifts? I always do that because mixed is so weird (need to have a wider grip than I prefer if going mixed, which makes involving glutes more difficult since I like to push out my knees against my arms)

Not that strong with double overhand grip. I'd guess it gives out around 140 kg for me. Most my working weights for regular deadlifts are sets of 2-5 reps with 315 to 375. With the hookgrip the grip is locked so I don't need to think about it or have it limiting the lift.

 

With the hook grip I can also let the bar hang in the fingers instead of in the palm. It takes off a couple of cm from the ROM.

post #54140 of 57266

Isn't hook grip quite hard to get perfect? I don't get the fuss about mixed grip, it felt weird perhaps the first two times I tried it, now I just start out by using regular overhand for my warmup sets and then switch to mixed grip. Straps for high rep deadlifting, though.

post #54141 of 57266
^^ Just the natural shape of the arm demands (at least for me) that the grip becomes widers, which adds centimeters to the lift and makes it more awkward all in all.

Conceptionist , that would be easily addressed by just adding some over hand lifts. Im doing 5*5 at 140-150 with double overhand without any issues. (or right now im doing light deadlifts in the smith because the horrible bro gym lacks any bars except for z-bars shog[1].gif ) This is of course only meaninful if there are drawbacks (.e.g., damage risk) with hook grip, otherwise hook grip seems better.
post #54142 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

4 plate DL looking good there @Benesyed

How much is your PB? IIRC you used to be a pretty good deadlifter, no?
Deadlift more often and the forearms will start growing. Heavy carries seems to be good as well.


Re: grip
Always use hook grip now. Mixed grip feels wrong. The downside with hoogkrip is just that it can cause damage on the thumbs.
Last heavy deadlift session the skin detached from the thumbnail at the fingertip. Hurts like shit and I can see under the nail. Will prob tape the thumbs from here on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGoCrimson View Post

Yeaa.... he's doing shrugs.

My best dead was 505
post #54143 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb0bo View Post

^^ Just the natural shape of the arm demands (at least for me) that the grip becomes widers, which adds centimeters to the lift and makes it more awkward all in all.

Conceptionist , that would be easily addressed by just adding some over hand lifts. Im doing 5*5 at 140-150 with double overhand without any issues. (or right now im doing light deadlifts in the smith because the horrible bro gym lacks any bars except for z-bars shog[1].gif ) This is of course only meaninful if there are drawbacks (.e.g., damage risk) with hook grip, otherwise hook grip seems better.

 

Sure, but I won't gain any extra points in competition for using a double overhand so there's really no reason to. Just wanted to bitch about the thumb pain :) 

I'm sure the damage thing will be less of a problem when the skin has become rougher.

post #54144 of 57266
Does hook grip make masturbating shit because your thumbs really rough?
post #54145 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

Does hook grip make masturbating shit because your thumbs really rough?


Maybe having rough thumbs will give you a different sensation?

post #54146 of 57266

Warming up double overhand and switching to mixed always seemed strange. Slightly different motor patterns. I use a mixed grip from the get-go these days.

post #54147 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post

Maybe having rough thumbs will give you a different sensation?
Stranger danger.
post #54148 of 57266
Whoosh, tightening my shit up and dumping carbs = I'm down like 3-4lbs from last week, most of it I'm guessing being water weight.
post #54149 of 57266
Picking up the ring today
post #54150 of 57266
Moving sucks. My life has been turmoil the past two weeks. That, trying to coordinate the move to NYC, work's picked up. Completely fell off the wagon on dieting and working out. I feel gross. Heading up to MN for the weekend, started dieting again today and will start working out again come next week.

Working on a billion dollar deal at work that should really help pad my resume. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts