or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3499

post #52471 of 57260
You are 198 and over 20% body fat

Lets estimate you have around 45lbs of fat

198-45 = 153lbs lean mass

If you got down to 8% and lost absolutely no muscle (unlikely) youd weigh around 165
More realistic you lose 5lbs of lean mass during the cut (still a very good effort) = 160lb

Which is why bulk/cut is the dumbest shit on earth

You dun goofed brah, but you can fix it just start again


Fuji please check the math
post #52472 of 57260
198 x 20% = ~40lbs

Otherwise yea

If aesthetics are the goal (and for KC they are) weight gain on a bulk has to be kept in check esp once noob gains are burnt through. Someone who's been lifting for 2-3 yrs or more shouldn't be gaining more than like 2lb a month max. I felt like such a dumbass when my lifts kept going up after I started to basically hold my weight steady. Could have made all my gains 10lb lighter
post #52473 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen7908 View Post

You are 198 and over 20% body fat

Lets estimate you have around 45lbs of fat

198-45 = 153lbs lean mass

If you got down to 8% and lost absolutely no muscle (unlikely) youd weigh around 165
More realistic you lose 5lbs of lean mass during the cut (still a very good effort) = 160lb

Which is why bulk/cut is the dumbest shit on earth

You dun goofed brah, but you can fix it just start again


Fuji please check the math


Need to account for water weight, he'll be holding a lot more water now then he would be at 8%


Signed up for CFA 1 in december, hoping to get to level 2 before I finish undergrad.
post #52474 of 57260
Khaye you'll be fine. Just cut a big and lose some from the midsection. Your posture is really poor even when trying to stand straight.gotta get your hips under you more and your ribs down. Follow Chris duffib stuff or seek out PRI help.
post #52475 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen7908 View Post

You are 198 and over 20% body fat

Lets estimate you have around 45lbs of fat

198-45 = 153lbs lean mass

If you got down to 8% and lost absolutely no muscle (unlikely) youd weigh around 165
More realistic you lose 5lbs of lean mass during the cut (still a very good effort) = 160lb

Which is why bulk/cut is the dumbest shit on earth

You dun goofed brah, but you can fix it just start again


Fuji please check the math

Strong criticizing dude, thanks. So after this weekend (vacation) I'll be starting my cut, and I think the only piece of the puzzle left for getting aesthetic is knowing where to set my calorie goals (am getting to the gym consistently, am counting calories, staying hydrated, getting sleep, etc.). For example, on this bulk when I first started I was targeting 2500 kcals which really isn't a lot. Granted, some days I would allow myself to eat over, but typically I'm pretty meticulous in my counting. It's sorta surprising me that I gained that much on only 2500 kcals. Then my lifts stalled, I upped it to 3000 kcals (which I'm on now) and increased my protein, and they started moving again. I'm clearly doing something wrong in setting my calorie targets.

FWIW my last cut I targeted 2000 kcals which I'll prob do this time too to start. Anyways, so for this cut, should I just drop to 2000 kcals and monitor for a couple weeks? In order to preserve lbm, do I just need to be at a deficit where my weights aren't going down, or what? Typically that's what I'd do, I'd start at some deficit and adjust down until my weights are barely moving and hold there. Is that wrong? And should I actually be targeting losing 40 lbs to get into single digits? Was considering getting a DEXA just to see what I'm actually at and to see what it's like to get one, pointless?

For my next bulk, if I'm cutting say at 2000 kcals, should I up to 2500 kcals or 3000 kcals? How do I know where to set the initial target, and what cues should I be watching to adjust?

Also as an aside, how is bulk/cut stupid? You make much faster progress than just a slow lean bulk/recomp (assuming you're doing it properly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

198 x 20% = ~40lbs

Otherwise yea

If aesthetics are the goal (and for KC they are) weight gain on a bulk has to be kept in check esp once noob gains are burnt through. Someone who's been lifting for 2-3 yrs or more shouldn't be gaining more than like 2lb a month max. I felt like such a dumbass when my lifts kept going up after I started to basically hold my weight steady. Could have made all my gains 10lb lighter

CTK same questions as I asked skeen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

Khaye you'll be fine. Just cut a big and lose some from the midsection. Your posture is really poor even when trying to stand straight.gotta get your hips under you more and your ribs down. Follow Chris duffib stuff or seek out PRI help.

WTF does "get your ribs down" mean.

Also nobody addressed my biggest problem which is how to prevent myself from looking like I'm showing everyone my package.
Edited by Khayembii Communique - 4/9/15 at 7:49am
post #52476 of 57260
How can you gain weight at 3000 calories a day and 200lb? I'd loose weight fairly quick at that and I weigh about the same as you.
post #52477 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

How can you gain weight at 3000 calories a day and 200lb? I'd loose weight fairly quick at that and I weigh about the same as you.

I haven't really been gaining weight since going to 3000 kcals. My weight stalled at around 195-197 and has been hovering around there ever since.
post #52478 of 57260

@fuji I'm doing the CFA level 1 for June. Wish I had started when I was in college. So much harder with a full time job

post #52479 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post

I haven't really been gaining weight since going to 3000 kcals. My weight stalled at around 195-197 and has been hovering around there ever since.
For how long? FWIW I was "gaintaining" at about 3100kcal on average. Early in my bulk I was averaging 3500kcal facepalm.gif I started cutting at 2500, but I have dipped down to about 2100-2200 net (some days I do cardio and eat a little extra) and have been holding a steady 1lb/week loss on average consistently.

Sounds drastic but I would probably start around like 2200-2300kcal/week and then chop 100kcal weekly if you stall. Just dont go under 2000kcal, that seems like too much. Dont be afraid of cardio either, it works and is good for you. Also be consistent in your water intake as water weight changes fuck with you. During the week I drink at least half a gallon of water at my desk, but on weekends I'm "dry" so my waking weight on Sunday/Monday is about 1-2lbs lower than it is when I'm hydrated.

I agree that bulk/cut isn't stupid either, you just have to keep things in check. I think recomps are stupid... you need a surplus to grow. But lean bulk is the smart way to bulk. A 200-300kcal daily surplus is really all that's needed... that's like 1/2 a lb a week which is controllable w/cardio. If u are moving like 20-30lb in 1 leg of a bulk/cut cycle u did something wrong. Its no biggie tho, u have time and arent that fat. Experience is the best teacher. U will def have some more lean mass when u cut and look way bigger than u did at 155 or w/e. Dont worry
post #52480 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

For how long? FWIW I was "gaintaining" at about 3100kcal on average. Early in my bulk I was averaging 3500kcal facepalm.gif I started cutting at 2500, but I have dipped down to about 2100-2200 net (some days I do cardio and eat a little extra) and have been holding a steady 1lb/week loss on average consistently.

Sounds drastic but I would probably start around like 2200-2300kcal/week and then chop 100kcal weekly if you stall. Just dont go under 2000kcal, that seems like too much. Dont be afraid of cardio either, it works and is good for you. Also be consistent in your water intake as water weight changes fuck with you. During the week I drink at least half a gallon of water at my desk, but on weekends I'm "dry" so my waking weight on Sunday/Monday is about 1-2lbs lower than it is when I'm hydrated.

I agree that bulk/cut isn't stupid either, you just have to keep things in check. I think recomps are stupid... you need a surplus to grow. But lean bulk is the smart way to bulk. A 200-300kcal daily surplus is really all that's needed... that's like 1/2 a lb a week which is controllable w/cardio. If u are moving like 20-30lb in 1 leg of a bulk/cut cycle u did something wrong. Its no biggie tho, u have time and arent that fat. Experience is the best teacher. U will def have some more lean mass when u cut and look way bigger than u did at 155 or w/e. Dont worry

Upped to 3000 like two weeks ago I think because my bench had stalled at 240 for three weeks.

How do you know how low you can go on a cut, though? That's my question. I thought when your lifts start suffering you know you've too far. And cardio only increases the deficit I thought, and you'd get the exact same effect by just lowering calories instead. Is that wrong?

I pound water now, have a Nalgene at my desk that I go through 3-4x/day.
post #52481 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post


Upped to 3000 like two weeks ago I think because my bench had stalled at 240 for three weeks.

How do you know how low you can go on a cut, though? That's my question. I thought when your lifts start suffering you know you've too far. And cardio only increases the deficit I thought, and you'd get the exact same effect by just lowering calories instead. Is that wrong?

I pound water now, have a Nalgene at my desk that I go through 3-4x/day.

 

Usually go 500 under your baseline to start. Don't go too fast right away, your body will fight it/and retain the fat and burn muscle

post #52482 of 57260
@Khayembii Communique
It sounds like you fucked up your metabolism.
post #52483 of 57260

what venividi said.

Also if you drop too low to start with you have no place left to go when you undoubtedly stall. If you'r weights are dropping it's expected, I wouldn't worry too much about it, with that said, at your weight and assuming you cut right (1-2lb/week) I'd be very surprised if you your lifts do suffer until you are 20-30lbs into the cut.

You are "done" cutting when you are happy with where you are.

post #52484 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post

How do you know how low you can go on a cut, though? That's my question. I thought when your lifts start suffering you know you've too far. And cardio only increases the deficit I thought, and you'd get the exact same effect by just lowering calories instead. Is that wrong?
Well, when I first planned my cut out, I thought I would need a long break after a couple of weeks or like a biweekly refeed day. But again Im like 10 weeks in and feeling OK. I think what helps is my deficit is pretty mild and I started off pretty fat, so I'm not really pushing it. Only lift that has really taken a nosedive is bench, but bench is also the lift I struggle the most to gain on so I'm OK with that. It's only come down about 10lbs since I started. All my accessory and lower body shit is holding. I mean I took last weekend off to move and my squat bounced back by 10lbs yesterday. So if you go slow it's not that bad.

Cardio does add to the deficit (which is why I aim for a net calorie goal which includes cardio), but it also helps with bloodflow from hard to reach spots (like love handles) and is just a good thing to do. Nothing crazy... I do a relatively easy ~6-8 mile bike ride every couple of days. Each mile is good for about 40-50kcal. It's a little bro sciencey but in my experience I'm leaner when I do cardio, even with the same net calories. So it cant hurt. Key is it has to be low impact and low to medium intensity (so no running, no HIIT).

Make no mistake... a 20-30lb cut will hurt your lifts, but not by that much. It's just part of the game. I would just work to keep those losses at a minimum by going slow (1lb a week is prob max, maybe more at the beginning).
post #52485 of 57260
It's finally warming up here so I'll probably start biking to work (~4 mi/day) for cardio, and will prob just be more active generally. Was considering hitting the elliptical for some LISS 2x/day but think that'd be more harmful than anything if I already have a solid deficit. I'll target 2500 and work from there. Still planning on keeping protein up to like 200g, though.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts