or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3444

post #51646 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post
 

I've been wanting to throw out some rubber mats in my garage for my deadlift. I've been watching quite a few videos and it seems like everyone is building a deadlift platform like this one.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

It just seems like I'll be going overboard to build a monstrosity like that. I mean, shouldn't I be able to just throw down a horse stall mat that's 3/4 of a inch and forego the platform all together? Something like this. 

 

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft#desc-tab

 

Is it because of the rubber mat, it would affect my footing?

 

Of course.  Purchase 2 or 3 mats, place next to each other, viola.  My gym's deadlift area is just 15'x20' of horse stall mats, no wooden platform.

post #51647 of 57260
I think the wooden platform is more for oly lifts
post #51648 of 57260
Well.. not really. Depends on the flooring underneath.

My gym tried that a while back. End result, thousands of dollars worth of repairs because we cracked the concrete flooring underneath.
post #51649 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by milosh View Post

I think the wooden platform is more for oly lifts

That's correct. No need to have wood in the middle if you're not doing any oly movements. Just cover the whole top with rubber.
post #51650 of 57260
Why do you need the wood for Oly lifts?
post #51651 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post

Why do you need the wood for Oly lifts?

So your toes/foot doesn't accidentally catch the floor when you jerk. Wood allows your shoe to kind of glide on it when full contact of the sole isn't made. Rubber will catch even without full contact.
post #51652 of 57260
Cool, thanks for the info. My gym replaced one of the rubber mats with wood when we got a "serious" oly lifter and I was wondering why.
post #51653 of 57260
There's an area in our gym that is only covered by 3/4" rubber matting. Dude cracked the floor underneath only deadlifting 315 with iron plates. Bumpers are okay though.

Pretty dumb because we have deadlift platforms with a couple layers of plywood and then the horse stall mats on top of them.
post #51654 of 57260
So I have a pain in my neck that has been on and off for the past couple weeks. It's not really in my throat, which makes it strange. There aren't any lumps, no swelling, my lymph nodes are fine. It's on the right side of my trachea, but not in my throat. Seems to come and go, not a persistent pain. Sometimes it aches when I swallow, sometimes not. Sometimes I can feel it if I breathe in or yawn, or open my mouth wide. The only persistent thing is that if I push directly on my adam's apple the pain noticeably increases and feels like it's on the edge of my thyroid cartilage on the right side.

Not sure what to do about this. Don't want to fork out a ton of money with MRI's and whatnot. It's just very bizarre.
post #51655 of 57260
could be allergies?
post #51656 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon View Post

There's an area in our gym that is only covered by 3/4" rubber matting. Dude cracked the floor underneath only deadlifting 315 with iron plates. Bumpers are okay though.

Pretty dumb because we have deadlift platforms with a couple layers of plywood and then the horse stall mats on top of them.
There's always some asshole...
post #51657 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post

So I have a pain in my neck that has been on and off for the past couple weeks. It's not really in my throat, which makes it strange. There aren't any lumps, no swelling, my lymph nodes are fine. It's on the right side of my trachea, but not in my throat. Seems to come and go, not a persistent pain. Sometimes it aches when I swallow, sometimes not. Sometimes I can feel it if I breathe in or yawn, or open my mouth wide. The only persistent thing is that if I push directly on my adam's apple the pain noticeably increases and feels like it's on the edge of my thyroid cartilage on the right side.

Not sure what to do about this. Don't want to fork out a ton of money with MRI's and whatnot. It's just very bizarre.
Sounds like a cyst on your thyroid. Hopefully you get what one of my old professors had. He had a cyst on his thyroid and it totally jacked up his thyroid hormone until he was treated with some chemo pill shit.
post #51658 of 57260
Thread Starter 
265 for 3 on bench yesterday @ 180. Felt real psyched up stronk after first rep.
post #51659 of 57260
lol @ oly
post #51660 of 57260



I stopped by Eataly last night and the Uni was calling my name. Surprised the girlfriend Uni and Shrimp over fresh pasta.

Also, sick recent kop:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts