or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3410

post #51136 of 57261
I hate you guys. First it's about lifting and I feel inferior because I can only lift small weights, a fork or a glass of rum... then it's about rice cookers and I feel inferior because I have no rice cooker... now it's about those jobs again and I feel inferior because I can't see 160k in my career path...

I studied Information Systems / Business Informatics and got into an industrial company which has a portfolio of software / saas based Added Value offerings around their core products. From there I quickly moved over in direction of product marketing and then strategic/tactical marketing for the whole portfolio. I feel like the main skills involved are being convincing in meetings, micro-management of idiots and being good at playing company politics. Lately I feel like drowning myself in my tea cup.

On top of that, I make six figure income but manage to save fuck all. The fact that I pay 40k+ of taxes anualy and then also like to spend as much time as possible in warmer countries doesn't help.

Sometimes I really wonder how people manage to bring so much money to the side without going to 0 life quality... or in the other direction, how to make much more money.
post #51137 of 57261
Im drowning in this revision for a manuscript. Like seriously drowning and i Fucking hate it.

I want to see if we can justify not doing some of the things the reviewer is asking us to do but i have no idea if it's going to fly. Going to ask my boss tomorrow...

I have a date weds evening and i want to get sleep tomorrow night. I wish my old coworker was still around cause i could use some help on this.

First time I'm legit hating research. I want to say Fuck it all but a first author paper will help a lot...
post #51138 of 57261
Peer review is the worst. Best case it's someone who doesn't have the right background and asks for dumb revisions. Worst case is its a rival looking to screw you.
post #51139 of 57261
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

Not in England interview and selection process is entirely different. Theres a grade threshold all banks have thats equivalent to a 3.0 and you essentially have to be from lse, oxford, cambridge for the best chance and apparently some might say imperial (great school), UCL (just lol), Warick(didn't even know there was a school there), luckily my firm only does lse, oxford, cambridge.

in my specific subfield I'd rank UCL above all these other plebs
post #51140 of 57261
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szeph el raton View Post

I hate you guys. First it's about lifting and I feel inferior because I can only lift small weights, a fork or a glass of rum... then it's about rice cookers and I feel inferior because I have no rice cooker... now it's about those jobs again and I feel inferior because I can't see 160k in my career path...

I studied Information Systems / Business Informatics and got into an industrial company which has a portfolio of software / saas based Added Value offerings around their core products. From there I quickly moved over in direction of product marketing and then strategic/tactical marketing for the whole portfolio. I feel like the main skills involved are being convincing in meetings, micro-management of idiots and being good at playing company politics. Lately I feel like drowning myself in my tea cup.

On top of that, I make six figure income but manage to save fuck all. The fact that I pay 40k+ of taxes anualy and then also like to spend as much time as possible in warmer countries doesn't help.

Sometimes I really wonder how people manage to bring so much money to the side without going to 0 life quality... or in the other direction, how to make much more money.

Solution: Live in a nice warmer country with great quality of life. You don't earn as much, but you can save more. I've never been happier than since I moved to Bangkok, and I've lived in Portland, Seattle, Seoul, Beijing, and Hong Kong. I earn a 2/3rds what I earned in Hong Kong BUT I work basically 28 hours a week and have 3 months scheduled vacation a year. No amount of money beats that.

Also, working on my first academic publication this year. Anyone else here publish?
post #51141 of 57261
try earning 160k being an academic.. damn, people with PhDs are fucked. even tenured faculty salaries here are super crap. ULRM to the max
post #51142 of 57261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan K View Post

Peer review is the worst. Best case it's someone who doesn't have the right background and asks for dumb revisions. Worst case is its a rival looking to screw you.

tryna submit? Some of them are such morons man.
post #51143 of 57261
If your not absolutely shit, do well at law school and actually apply for jobs you'll get one. LSE is ranked 2 for law in the UK, never seen anyone who wasn't socially off or not driven to do 40 applications not get a top job.
wtf is top 20-30 is that like university of Iowa or some shit.
post #51144 of 57261
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

If your not absolutely shit, do well at law school and actually apply for jobs you'll get one. LSE is ranked 2 for law in the UK, never seen anyone who wasn't socially off or not driven to do 40 applications not get a top job.
wtf is top 20-30 is that like university of Iowa or some shit.

as a matter of fact iowa is 27 according to this
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings/page+2
post #51145 of 57261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan K View Post

Peer review is the worst. Best case it's someone who doesn't have the right background and asks for dumb revisions. Worst case is its a rival looking to screw you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

tryna submit? Some of them are such morons man.

Well these guys aren't morons, but are asking too much.

The revisions are fine, but they want me to do an entirely new analysis which could be a paper on its own and actually has been in the past. I can kind of understand why they're doing it but mostly it's along the lines of 'oh this would be cool to see'. I'm going to have to try to put it ask together today or I'm going to be asking for another extension, which i guess isn't the worst thing...

Ive done other revisions before, but this one requires an entire new phase of data collection and is a bit over the top. This is cancer related though, so i guess the game is slightly different...
post #51146 of 57261
Thread Starter 
Little bit off topic here but has anyone successfully used paused squats to build strength and stability in the hole? What % of your 1RM did you use?
post #51147 of 57261
Paused squats are a great tool. I use them all the time. If I am feeling good I will just make the last rep of a working set paused. Thats my self-check for honesty. If I can't pause rep the weight on the last rep it's too heavy or my lifting capacity is shit.
post #51148 of 57261
paused squats seem like they all the rage. Greg uses them a ton, so they must work pretty good.
post #51149 of 57261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szeph el raton View Post

I hate you guys. First it's about lifting and I feel inferior because I can only lift small weights, a fork or a glass of rum... then it's about rice cookers and I feel inferior because I have no rice cooker... now it's about those jobs again and I feel inferior because I can't see 160k in my career path...

I studied Information Systems / Business Informatics and got into an industrial company which has a portfolio of software / saas based Added Value offerings around their core products. From there I quickly moved over in direction of product marketing and then strategic/tactical marketing for the whole portfolio. I feel like the main skills involved are being convincing in meetings, micro-management of idiots and being good at playing company politics. Lately I feel like drowning myself in my tea cup.

On top of that, I make six figure income but manage to save fuck all. The fact that I pay 40k+ of taxes anualy and then also like to spend as much time as possible in warmer countries doesn't help.

Sometimes I really wonder how people manage to bring so much money to the side without going to 0 life quality... or in the other direction, how to make much more money.

 

This is how you get situations where people making $250,000 think they're poor and that Obama is taking all their money. Eating out and buying random crap can easily suck up all your disposable income, even if you have a huge salary. If you want to save, make a budget to see where all your money is going, and then decide if those expenditures are actually worth it for what you get. 

 

As an example, if you eat out twice a week for dinner at cheap places (let's say $30/meal) and get lunch at a cafe every workday ($10), that's almost $6000 on eating out every year. I personally don't give a shit about dining out, so I cut that to $60/month on meals out and bring my lunch every day. On the other hand, even though gym memberships and my apartment are relatively expensive, I keep paying for those because they're worth it to me.

 

I managed to save enough for extended travel, probably for a year or two (leaving Sunday) without giving up much that I actually missed.

post #51150 of 57261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

paused squats seem like they all the rage. Greg uses them a ton, so they must work pretty good.

 

Gregg?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post
 

 

This is how you get situations where people making $250,000 think they're poor and that Obama is taking all their money. Eating out and buying random crap can easily suck up all your disposable income, even if you have a huge salary. If you want to save, make a budget to see where all your money is going, and then decide if those expenditures are actually worth it for what you get. 

 

As an example, if you eat out twice a week for dinner at cheap places (let's say $30/meal) and get lunch at a cafe every workday ($10), that's almost $6000 on eating out every year. I personally don't give a shit about dining out, so I cut that to $60/month on meals out and bring my lunch every day. On the other hand, even though gym memberships and my apartment are relatively expensive, I keep paying for those because they're worth it to me.

 

I managed to save enough for extended travel, probably for a year or two (leaving Sunday) without giving up much that I actually missed.

 

Totally agree re: budgeting.


I know I could be saving a bunch more if I cooked more, but I'm trying to pay dues at my job and get as much out of it as possible. If I spend an hour extra at work a week, I get overtime pay. Just that covers my meals and wash and fold laundry most weeks. It's something I could definitely do without, but work has kicked my ass. I'm also saving about the equivalent of a paycheck a month-ish. And I have a little side business going with the thrifting stuff that covers my clothing expenses. It's a colossal waste of time if you don't enjoy it though, so it's a bit like a hobby for me. If I put that time into my job I'd probably make more but also be totally insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post


Solution: Live in a nice warmer country with great quality of life. You don't earn as much, but you can save more. I've never been happier than since I moved to Bangkok, and I've lived in Portland, Seattle, Seoul, Beijing, and Hong Kong. I earn a 2/3rds what I earned in Hong Kong BUT I work basically 28 hours a week and have 3 months scheduled vacation a year. No amount of money beats that.

Also, working on my first academic publication this year. Anyone else here publish?

 

What do you do for work?

Also, what field for publication? I've got 2 already, 2 submitted and waiting for journal to get back to us, and this one fucker I'm trying to kick out. If I can have 5-6 things accepted by the time I leave this job, I'll be ecstatic. 4 months left.


I'm really hoping to enjoy some of that time though. I hope I can :/

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts