or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3380

post #50686 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

Great. 

Will most likely keep studying then for another year or so and handpick classes from informatics and statistics that seem relevant to the field.

Best of luck icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #50687 of 57262
What is this statistics you people talk about that doesnt basically require 3ish years of undergrad calculus, linear algebra and maybe a touch of real analysis. How will you understand brownian motion and the martingale process?


DGAF about N~(0,σ^2) and your hypothesis test.
post #50688 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

While we are on the topic:

Career fair at my business school next week. You could apply for interviews with 5 companies.
Since my masters is in brand management/strategy/marketing I applied for retailers, e-commerce companies and some consulting firms. Only got one interview with a national management consulting firm that work with tech solutions for logistics and retailing.

Anyways, I've started to think that straight traditional marketing might not be my thing. My whole class feels like a bunch of super-extraverted girls who love communication and advertising. I'm more into marketing research, intelligence, analytics and that kind of thing. 

From looking at various blogs and companies, it seems like marketing is going to be all about technology, automatization, big data, online tracking, etc, very soon. None of that "push out the company's fantasy vision on big billboard and TV".

So I'm considering taking another degree in informatics. Just need to take 3 semesters for a BSc. Would focus on databases, data modeling, enterprise architecture, some programming, etc. Might also take some more statistics. There's a data mining class I could take. Since I will go back to entry level studies I can manage to work part-time.

Anyone here who works in a similar field and has input if my idea is bad or not?

I'm a web dev so not similar but related to what you'd like to pursue. A lot of web companies are getting a shit ton of data on their users and trying to figure out how to use it to sell something or what to build. E commerce companies need people like that to figure out stuff like recommendation engines. The buzzword is "data science". You wouldn't need to be an expert programmer but the more you know the better and hopefully you'll know how to get data out of a database and give insight on it.
post #50689 of 57262

By the time I graduate at the end of the year I'm going to be too fucking old to get a job, hoping my summer internship leads to a paid position. I'm 30 with zero experience. However, I am a white male with a sexy accent.

post #50690 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

What is this statistics you people talk about that doesnt basically require 3ish years of undergrad calculus, linear algebra and maybe a touch of real analysis. How will you understand brownian motion and the martingale process?


DGAF about N~(0,σ^2) and your hypothesis test.

 

In my marketing research class, we went over analysis of variance, multiple regression analysis, cluster and factor analysis, multidimensional scaling, and some other similar stuff. I've seen job positions that desire skills in time series analysis and probability. I've not studied the later two enough to really know anything about them.

 

Anyway, the teacher works at one of Swedens largest MR companies, and previous students from that class got job as consultants at the company, so it seems to be enough for that kind of job.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosh View Post


I'm a web dev so not similar but related to what you'd like to pursue. A lot of web companies are getting a shit ton of data on their users and trying to figure out how to use it to sell something or what to build. E commerce companies need people like that to figure out stuff like recommendation engines. The buzzword is "data science". You wouldn't need to be an expert programmer but the more you know the better and hopefully you'll know how to get data out of a database and give insight on it.

 

Yeah, I've read similar things. E-commerce is actually one of the fields I keep an eye on.

 

It seems like there's a gap between those who are data experts and those who are marketing/strategy experts. Not enough people who can understand both and make something useful out of it.

 

We have a couple of classes related to this at my Uni but they're still divided into their respective subjects. I took a class called Consumer Insight, where we had to gather data and come up with a new business opportunity. The thing is though that the "data" was purely qualitative from field interviews, observations and such, which can obviously never be as comprehensive and objective as real data from tracking customer purchases, etc. Then there's statistics classes in Data Mining, but those don't have any implementation aspect where you make something valuable from it.

post #50691 of 57262
Sup bros.

Been cutting. Down to 195 from 211. Starting to see some evidence of shredz. Strength has gone to shit but meh.
post #50692 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

In my marketing research class, we went over analysis of variance, multiple regression analysis, cluster and factor analysis, multidimensional scaling, and some other similar stuff. I've seen job positions that desire skills in time series analysis and probability. I've not studied the later two enough to really know anything about them.

Anyway, the teacher works at one of Swedens largest MR companies, and previous students from that class got job as consultants at the company, so it seems to be enough for that kind of job.


Yeah, I've read similar things. E-commerce is actually one of the fields I keep an eye on.

It seems like there's a gap between those who are data experts and those who are marketing/strategy experts. Not enough people who can understand both and make something useful out of it.

We have a couple of classes related to this at my Uni but they're still divided into their respective subjects. I took a class called Consumer Insight, where we had to gather data and come up with a new business opportunity. The thing is though that the "data" was purely qualitative from field interviews, observations and such, which can obviously never be as comprehensive and objective as real data from tracking customer purchases, etc. Then there's statistics classes in Data Mining, but those don't have any implementation aspect where you make something valuable from it.


I dont understand how people teach statistics without a basis in probability like can you even know what your ANOVA means. Time series is interesting, people make it out that its way harder then it is, but just feels like regression to me.
post #50693 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

I dont understand how people teach statistics without a basis in probability like can you even know what your ANOVA means. Time series is interesting, people make it out that its way harder then it is, but just feels like regression to me.

I actually did two stat classes in my second year, now that I think if it. They must be included in business degrees here. They covered basic probability.
But still, there were a lot of questions in class when the anova tables came up in that other class. I think that business students who are not in finance or econ generally do not like numbers.
post #50694 of 57262

Two more form videos. I think I'm starting to see what you guys mean with the collapsed arches and pushing knees out to activate gluts. Gotta figure out if I need to use different shoes or insoles in addition to working on pushing my knees out.

 

Hex deads:

 

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10101399642696842&l=8310815871318662586

 

Front Squat with 2.5 plates under heels:

 

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10101399643759712&l=2453831693153979035

post #50695 of 57262
300lbs squat berried me today, tried to rep that should out but got stuck a few reps in. Think deadlift PR got the best of me.
post #50696 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Two more form videos. I think I'm starting to see what you guys mean with the collapsed arches and pushing knees out to activate gluts. Gotta figure out if I need to use different shoes or insoles in addition to working on pushing my knees out.

Hex deads:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10101399642696842&l=8310815871318662586

Front Squat with 2.5 plates under heels:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10101399643759712&l=2453831693153979035

don't shrug at the top of a deadlift keep them shoulders back and down. You have some week abductors and glutes from what I can see, you're knees are caving a bit. stance is too wide, take a more narrow stance. before you pull grip the floor with all your toes and think about ripping the floor apart, twisting / externally rotating hips.

Front squats look better but i did a quick glance, lock it out at the top pushing hips through. will help with your weak glutes but you gon develop dat squat booty
post #50697 of 57262
I don't know if it's this thread's fault, but after doing my self evaluation at my job I realized I want to work in BI. I really enjoy playing with big datasets. Trying to learn SQL and R now
post #50698 of 57262
No you should all follow me to the promised land that is the buyside
post #50699 of 57262

If the promised land is also london, then I will be there in a month and a half.

post #50700 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

If the promised land is also london, then I will be there in a month and a half.



sik, im taking the rest of the year of uni for "personal reasons" so we can get fucked up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts