or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3376

post #50626 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract View Post


sometimes you have to risk death for bigger pecs.

 

Brodin doesn't give without taking

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

I saw that I had like 50+ new posts in this thread... figured either someone dropped some sick progress pics, fuji regaled us (where you at dawg) or it devolved into a bitchfest rerun

So much for being an optimist confused.gif

Can disc problems manifest themselves as pain in muscles on the side? I did SLDLs yesterday for the first time in months and my back feels sore in a different way than the DOMS in my hamstrings. And my back has been semi-weird since I got back from Mexico in mid January

 

Yeah. My disc issue felt like muscle pain. Be careful, maybe get it checked out?

post #50627 of 57256

Disc issues are usually localized to that area of the back or referred pain to the gluts/legs. This is for lumbar discs. 

post #50628 of 57256
My pain usually feels like erector DOMS or strains. Could be referred though. Has been bothering me on and off for months and definitely drove me sidelining deadlift stuff. I guess I can get it checked out.
post #50629 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

In other news, got 2x5x255 on deads today. Felt a bit sketchy at the end, so I'm probably going to switch to trying to do sets of 10 at 225 for a bit. Progress is good though. I'm happy.

 

 

Ugh. Having a bit of an exacerbation slash flare up from last night's session. Felt good this morning so I guess sitting for a long time is annoying it too. Def going to go lighter next time and work up slowwwly at 3x10 esque stuff. I guess DL's aren't going to be an all out thing for me. Duh.

 

Maybe keep doing 3x10 @225 just as a form thing and to make sure I'm not neglecting posterior chain stuff. Probably best case scenario just to do them at the beginning of the workout and go harder on other stuffs. Sigh, you think I'd be used to be being hypercautious when feeling good.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

My pain usually feels like erector DOMS or strains. Could be referred though. Has been bothering me on and off for months and definitely drove me sidelining deadlift stuff. I guess I can get it checked out.
 
 
Does massage/foam rolling help it?

And yeah, good idea to have it looked at.

Edited by ridethecliche - 2/12/15 at 2:16pm
post #50630 of 57256

This has probably been asked before, and is a dumb question, but, do you guys ever not wanna bulk, or lift harder, cuz you wanna fit into a certain sizing of clothes?

post #50631 of 57256
Thread Starter 
Never fit into anything anyway without lots of tailoring anyway so no.

Anybody ever get a feeling like their hip is kind popped out? Happened after doing front squats with a more narrow stance a couple days ago.

Not dislocated but it seems a bit aggravated around the femoral tuberosity. I squatted yesterday no problem but while moving around it feels uncomfortable and I'm waiting for it to snap back in or sth. .
post #50632 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post

Never fit into anything anyway without lots of tailoring anyway so no.

Anybody ever get a feeling like their hip is kind popped out? Happened after doing front squats with a more narrow stance a couple days ago.

Not dislocated but it seems a bit aggravated around the femoral tuberosity. I squatted yesterday no problem but while moving around it feels uncomfortable and I'm waiting for it to snap back in or sth. .


The broscience is strong in this one
post #50633 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post

Never fit into anything anyway without lots of tailoring anyway so no.

Anybody ever get a feeling like their hip is kind popped out? Happened after doing front squats with a more narrow stance a couple days ago.

Not dislocated but it seems a bit aggravated around the femoral tuberosity. I squatted yesterday no problem but while moving around it feels uncomfortable and I'm waiting for it to snap back in or sth. .

I used to get this pain all the time before I started using the hip adductor/abductor machine (AKA pussy strengthener).

Dunno if you have one at your gym but you could probably fashion one out of bands or something. strengthen the groin and the outer glutes or whatever pulls the hips out.
post #50634 of 57256
Thread Starter 
Right, paracetamol it is. I should note that basically any time I do a relative narrow stance squat, I get this pain.
post #50635 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post


I used to get this pain all the time before I started using the hip adductor/abductor machine (AKA pussy strengthener).

Dunno if you have one at your gym but you could probably fashion one out of bands or something. strengthen the groin and the outer glutes or whatever pulls the hips out.

 

Walking sideways with a band around your leg & lateral leg raises with a band will work the adductors (?); side planks while keeping the lower foot raised and certain types of lunges will work the abductors. 50/50 chance I have ab/ad reversed, but just google around for exercises. There are a ton of PT-type movements for these since they're a common point of injury.

post #50636 of 57256
Black bands from Perform Better are my choice...



And a question. Have those of you dissing ART and Grastin ever had enough a muscle tightness/knot to actually need it? Those both worked wonders for me when I was training for ultra-distance triathlons (swimming up to 10 miles per week, along with running up to 50 miles and riding up to 300). The guy I go to is an experienced iron-distance triathlete and really know his stuff.
post #50637 of 57256

Form check! 

Got okayed by two dudes that powerlift, so I'm content but figured rhet bros should see it too. Second time I've done these since I stopped 3 years ago. Pretty happy tbh.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10101397370081182&l=3242101010384314532

post #50638 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueco View Post

Black bands from Perform Better are my choice...



And a question. Have those of you dissing ART and Grastin ever had enough a muscle tightness/knot to actually need it? Those both worked wonders for me when I was training for ultra-distance triathlons (swimming up to 10 miles per week, along with running up to 50 miles and riding up to 300). The guy I go to is an experienced iron-distance triathlete and really know his stuff.

 

I honestly don't know enough to comment about that stuff. I do know that the body has tremendous capacity to heal and that medicine doesn't quite understand how everything works.

post #50639 of 57256
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Form check! 


Got okayed by two dudes that powerlift, so I'm content but figured rhet bros should see it too. Second time I've done these since I stopped 3 years ago. Pretty happy tbh.


Link: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10101397370081182&l=3242101010384314532

Looks not bad but it seems like you're going to fall forward. Do you feel like that, or do you feel like you're in danger of falling backwards? Chucks are not the shoes for front squats, you should get oly shoes if you're going to do them seriously because otherwise you have to do a wide stance which will deemphasize the quads, which is the whole point of the FS.
post #50640 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Form check! 


Got okayed by two dudes that powerlift, so I'm content but figured rhet bros should see it too. Second time I've done these since I stopped 3 years ago. Pretty happy tbh.


Link: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10101397370081182&l=3242101010384314532

Your form looks fairly ok, but there is some minor lower lumbar flexion going on with a few of the reps there. I'm sure it will only get worse as the weight increases

Im sure the bro brigade will soon arrive to tell you to just shut up and lift dont overthink it blahblahblah

But honestly why would someone with your medical and surgical history risk doing squats? What's your goal? If I were you, my goal would be to be happy, successful in my career and free of long term pain and disability. Doing squats does not advance those causes at all.

ymmv
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts