or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3368

post #50506 of 57262
Calm down Occ

See if you can do a lateral raise without flexing your traps. I can't. Ex-rx lists traps as synergists/stabilizers

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/DBLateralRaise.html

When I do LRs I lean forward a little bit and make my palms face backwards. Been working OK. I haven't deadlifted in months and my traps haven't lost size.

Its almost like u knew u were wrong and got defensive pre-emptively just to have an argument. Come on guy
Edited by Cool The Kid - 2/8/15 at 4:15pm
post #50507 of 57262
I'm not saying there won't be any involvement of your traps, that would be dumb.
But if you are using lateral raises as a trap exercise then that's a problem. But this is probably my fault. Coldsnap asked what else hit traps, CTK said side laterals, for a lot of people that's true, even though it's indirect and not usually intended. He didn't say "hey guys side laterals are the best traps exercise!!1".
So yeah, my fault.

Edit: I posted the above before I saw your reply CTK. But I am not wrong. Lat raises are a shit trap exercise. Nobody is getting big traps from doing lat raises. I know you are not saying that, you are simply saying that they hit the traps to a degree. When you first said it I wasn't taking it in the context of coldsnaps question, just as a standalone comment that lay raises are good for traps. K?
Edited by OccultaVexillum - 2/8/15 at 4:56pm
post #50508 of 57262
Pretty surreal watching our Charly lifting in the same flight as the likes of Ernie Lilliebridge, Tee Cummins, Kevin Oak, and Dan Green...
post #50509 of 57262
ah cool, need to tune in

guess i missed the squat / bench already
post #50510 of 57262
wtf Dan somehow got bigger
post #50511 of 57262

So with the addition of being able to tolerate front squats, I'm going to change up my programming a bit.

 

Since I've been able to incorporate hex deads and front squats, I feel like there aren't any voids in my programming. I tried doing FS grip rear lunges today and it felt fine, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable loading that way, so I'll probably skip it.


I'm hoping to do the following:

 

2x dead and squat session each week. One going 'heavy' (i.e. 3x5 or 5x5 rep scheme) and once going for reps (3x10). Should I do it this way or should I just go for higher volume and progress the weight slowly? Split up days or same day?

 

Other leg work? I'm thinking of keeping up with walking lunges, split squats, quad ext, and hamstring curl through the week as well for accessories. I guess I can just split these up and do them after squats right?


Kinda intrigued the do one exercise for every part every day idea and wondering how things will play around with that or if I should just stick somewhat to what I'm doing once I can lift for chest again...

post #50512 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb0bo View Post

Heard this before, but what is the logic here really?

I'm not sure why it is true, but it is true in my experience.

A possible explanation is that squats are better builders of leg and glute muscles because of their greater range of motion as well as having an eccentric part of the lift. Deadlifts don't have as much time under tension for the legs and glutes, even though they're the prime movers (the back muscles are static). Obviously if you want to get better at the deadlift you need to deadlift more as it reinforces the movement pattern and recruitment of muscle fibres optimally, but I think squats hit the same muscle groups and are better mass builders.
post #50513 of 57262
I also feel like your body feeling like it is getting squished is a good motivator for it to grow.

That's my scientific answer.
post #50514 of 57262
Also, @GraphicNovelty and my 5 year college reunion is in May. I want to look nasty for it.

This weekend was awesome. I feel so back on track.
post #50515 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

So with the addition of being able to tolerate front squats, I'm going to change up my programming a bit.

Since I've been able to incorporate hex deads and front squats, I feel like there aren't any voids in my programming. I tried doing FS grip rear lunges today and it felt fine, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable loading that way, so I'll probably skip it.


I'm hoping to do the following:

2x dead and squat session each week. One going 'heavy' (i.e. 3x5 or 5x5 rep scheme) and once going for reps (3x10). Should I do it this way or should I just go for higher volume and progress the weight slowly? Split up days or same day?

Other leg work? I'm thinking of keeping up with walking lunges, split squats, quad ext, and hamstring curl through the week as well for accessories. I guess I can just split these up and do them after squats right?


Kinda intrigued the do one exercise for every part every day idea and wondering how things will play around with that or if I should just stick somewhat to what I'm doing once I can lift for chest again...

You can start with twice frequency. Don't jump straight into high frequency. First, increase to three sessions with legs. When that feels fine (prob after 2-3 months), increase to 4 times, if you ever need to. I'm not as convinced that very high frequency 5+ times a week works as good for general hypertrophy as powerlifting, although I have grown the most with 5 times per week. 3x-4x should be "enough".

Keep one day lighter and one heavier. The variation is good. You could also play with the actual movements so the heavier squats are paused for example, if you want to bring down the loads while still getting a good training effect.
post #50516 of 57262

I've already been doing 2x for everything including legs. Just thinking of using a slightly different exercise scheme. I'll have to plan things out a little differently if I want to move up to 3x, since my scheme does chest then shoulders the next day so I'm not sure I'd rest adequately enough.

 

Good call on pausing for more effect with lighter weights. I like that idea a ton!

post #50517 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

I've already been doing 2x for everything including legs. Just thinking of using a slightly different exercise scheme. I'll have to plan things out a little differently if I want to move up to 3x, since my scheme does chest then shoulders the next day so I'm not sure I'd rest adequately enough.

 

Good call on pausing for more effect with lighter weights. I like that idea a ton!

 

If you are doing squat and deadlifts (or hex deads, whatever you are doing) you could start to take one of the movements out and place it on another day. That way you have increased your frequency while still keeping the weekly volume the same, which would make the switch easier. Over time you can increase the volume on one or both sessions or add another leg movement.

 

Doing "harder" lifts to increase the relative intensity while keeping the absolute weight lower really works. I think it is one of the key components of my program. I hadn't made a single deadlift over 300 lbs since end of summer but thanks to high frequency and lots of volume with harder variations the 375 lb deadlift at the meet felt pretty easy. Same goes for my squat. 

It should work well for you considering your back problems.

post #50518 of 57262
Thanks man.

I actually deadlift on back day and squat on leg day, so there would be 24 hrs between stuff. I can also go heavy on deads and light on squats and vice versa on the days so im not doing 2 heavy days back to back.

I want to start doing some more functional core work... Like KB swings, kb turkish getups, etc. in addition to doing robe crunches and leg raises and this cable thing I do where I just resist torsion while holding my arms out and in. dunno if that last bit made sense prolly do a day of just core stuff with arms and still be able to keep 2x volume on everything. That'd be sweet and dreadful all at the same time.
Edited by ridethecliche - 2/9/15 at 10:07am
post #50519 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Thanks man.

I actually deadlift on back day and squat on leg day, so there would be 24 hrs between stuff. I can also go heavy on deads and light on squats and vice versa on the days so im not doing 2 heavy days back to back.

I want to start doing some more functional core work... Like KB swings, kb turkish getups, etc. in addition to doing robe crunches and leg raises and this cable thing I do where I just resist torsion while holding my arms out and in. dunno if that last bit made sense prolly do a day of just core stuff with arms and still be able to keep 2x volume on everything. That'd be sweet and dreadful all at the same time.

 

Oh, thought you trained deads and squat on the same day.

I assume you have two leg days and two back days then, so you already squat twice and deadlift twice? If so, you could go either way if you want to do more leg work - either adding more volume to your leg days or adding leg movements to the back days.

 

The Sheiko programs are usually 4 days per week, where 2 sessions are squat and bench and 2 are bench and deadlift. Deadlifts train the legs pretty well and if you just add something like 3-5 sets of lunges to the day you deadlift, it will be enough for legs that day. Together with the two days with squats it is then 4x frequency for the legs. That's just one way you could structure it.

post #50520 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post
 

 

Oh, thought you trained deads and squat on the same day.

I assume you have two leg days and two back days then, so you already squat twice and deadlift twice? If so, you could go either way if you want to do more leg work - either adding more volume to your leg days or adding leg movements to the back days.

 

The Sheiko programs are usually 4 days per week, where 2 sessions are squat and bench and 2 are bench and deadlift. Deadlifts train the legs pretty well and if you just add something like 3-5 sets of lunges to the day you deadlift, it will be enough for legs that day. Together with the two days with squats it is then 4x frequency for the legs. That's just one way you could structure it.

 

I think I'd have issues lifting legs on tues if I did heavy deads and lunges on monday. I'll start off with deads mon/fri and squats tues/sat. I might combine the day on sat though and do deads then FS on sat since I have more time. I'd just add a bit more volume to the leg days and do squats followed by some unilateral leg work and then quad/ham machines. Should toast em. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts