or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3363

post #50431 of 57262
3174d99a6076b4cfd5473750c4b93e81.jpg

Homemade pasta with a spicy lobster sauce
post #50432 of 57262
hit 5x190kg deadlift yesterday.

everything moving along nicely.
post #50433 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post

@coldsnap you talking about those dry stretch sweats? I'm hoping Isaora come out with some more pants soon.

No but I've been lounging in those dry stretch sweats often. I was talking about these cheap things which are always sold out - http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-stretch-slim-fit-tapered-color-jeans-128472.html#32|/men/bottoms/jeans/stretch/|

Isaora makes stretch pants, sorta like jeans? Never seen them.
post #50434 of 57262
post #50435 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

It really sucks how the info you first get when you start lifting can send you off the rails. Think of all those poor SS fucks who were shamed out of the aesthetics they really wanted.

 

wait how? been doing SS for as long as I've been lifting, from around last July. Was told that aesthetics is a stupid goal but that's really all I've wanted.


Edited by accordion - 2/7/15 at 5:18am
post #50436 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordion View Post

wait how? been doing SS for as long as I've been lifting, from around last July. Was told that aesthetics is a stupid goal but that's really all I've wanted.
Then build a program that meets your goals. Current consensus is full upper body ~2-3x/wk, lower body~2x/wk. Do all the frou frou accessory work you want. Work on weaknesses. Etc. etc. One size does not fit all
post #50437 of 57262

Isn't that what I'm doing though when I squat/bench/deadlift 3x/3x/1x a week as my core exercises. What does that have to do with aesthetics?

post #50438 of 57262
Are machine leg presses a decent alternative to squats?

I'm guessing they don't activate the glutes as much, if at all.
post #50439 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Are machine leg presses a decent alternative to squats?

I'm guessing they don't activate the glutes as much, if at all.

I've heard they don't, and for the reason you cited. You need the stabilization muscles activated, which is why squats are better.
post #50440 of 57262
The basic idea of SS is pretty good. Focus on the big lifts and good frequency.
Imo, its just way to little training for anyone with high goals in strength training. 5 heavy reps for deadlift per week (or whatever it is) is almost laughable low volume.
I think the program works best as a strength accessory for people who do sports. Everyone with pure strength/size goals should increase the volume and have larger variety of lifts.
post #50441 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueco View Post

I've heard they don't, and for the reason you cited. You need the stabilization muscles activated, which is why squats are better.

Makes sense, thanks.

Follow-up question: what's the best exercise to target the ham strings? Deadlifts?

Edit: aesthetics-wise, my specific goal is to thicken the legs when viewed from the side, not necessarily the front.
post #50442 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Makes sense, thanks.

Follow-up question: what's the best exercise to target the ham strings? Deadlifts?

Edit: aesthetics-wise, my specific goal is to thicken the legs when viewed from the side, not necessarily the front.

Do deadlifts, romanian deadlifts/stiff leg deadlifts, and hamstring curls.

The hamstring curls hit the muscle differently from deadlifts, iirc, which is why you want to include them.

Do deadlifts lowish reps (usually 2-5), romanian mid reps (4-12) and ham curls for higher reps (8-20). That's what I find to be their most suitable rep ranges.
post #50443 of 57262
315x5 bench press today, pretty happy. When my 1rm was 355 I was 210lbs now I'm 194.
post #50444 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

Do deadlifts, romanian deadlifts/stiff leg deadlifts, and hamstring curls.

The hamstring curls hit the muscle differently from deadlifts, iirc, which is why you want to include them.

Do deadlifts lowish reps (usually 2-5), romanian mid reps (4-12) and ham curls for higher reps (8-20). That's what I find to be their most suitable rep ranges.

Sounds good. Thanks.
post #50445 of 57262
I think i might stop at 2 plates for hex bar stuff and work on just adding volume. Thinking of doing them 2-3 times a week and working up to sets of 10.

Probably being over cautious but really don't want to get injured again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts