or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3342

post #50116 of 57260
Friend here in Florida told me i could use his student id to lift in the uni gym. I was planning on taking the time off since my elbows had been annoying me, but they feel fine now. Unsure if what do.

I guess taking a week off isn't a huge deal, esp if I'd been having issues, but man getting a chance to lift in that gym for three days would rock. I'd still have to take off Mon-thurs next week for interviews...
post #50117 of 57260

dont wanna sound like a pussy but is it okay to lift with a bad cold? I know I can get through a session but I don't wanna take extra long to recover.

post #50118 of 57260
I used to push workouts when i was sick but now i don't bother.
post #50119 of 57260

Depends how "bad" and what you're doing. FWIW when I have a really bad cold (like take off work and just sleep/nap/lay on the couch) after the initial 1-2 days I actually feel a lot better after doing cardio, I dunno if it's mental or if there's something to "breathing" out the sickness or whatevs.

 

On another note. I've become very serious about selling my R3 rack as soon as possible, so if anybody is interested i've listed it on ebay and craigslist and some powerlifting and crossfit boards. Asking $600 for the rack, pins, band pegs, multi grip chin bar. I'm not expecting to get $600 but figure if I ask that I will have room for negotiating. RHET bros I will do 450-500 no probs, gotta pick it up from the Syracuse area though.

post #50120 of 57260
Pushing through sessions:

Do able if you go a bit lighter and make sure to get an extra hour or so of sleep. Id do more of a form workout than do something trying to set a new max.

I usually take mucinex and make sure to drink tons of water.
post #50121 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordion View Post
 

dont wanna sound like a pussy but is it okay to lift with a bad cold? I know I can get through a session but I don't wanna take extra long to recover.

 

It's just a cold, you're fine. Just don't be a dick and wash your hands a lot and use purell, etc, so you don't get anyone sick.

 

I've been down with the flu, though, so I haven't workout out since Monday :( finally able to get out of bed today but still a bit dizzy. Going to try to do a light workout today, although a bit worried I'll get pinned under the bar since I'm definitely still not 100%

post #50122 of 57260
post #50123 of 57260
145kgx2 paused beltless front squats, 82.5kgx2 ohp, feels good mang.
post #50124 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordion View Post

dont wanna sound like a pussy but is it okay to lift with a bad cold? I know I can get through a session but I don't wanna take extra long to recover.

If you're legit sick don't go. If you're not sure if you're coming down with something I will usually go to the gym and see how I feel. I've gone to the gym warmed up to my working set and gone home a few times the past few months, cold season and all trying to beat me up. I haven't gotten sick yet though. Today I thought it was going to be one of those days where I warm up and go home, but felt good and got 250 x 10 on squats.
post #50125 of 57260
Do you guys ever have a struggle between getting bigger from lifting weights and wearing fashionable clothes?

It's very possible to be aesthetic/bigger and look good in clothes, especially in respect to the upper body (tees, henleys, cutoffs look much better if you lift) but my struggles are usually related to suiting/button-downs and the lower body. Nowadays most fashionable jeans and dress shirts/suits are geared towards very slim builds. I'm not big by any means (5'10, 165), I'm very content with my physique and how clothes fit, but I'm always deterrred to get bigger for that reason.

If arms are too big shirts and suits get too tight in the sleeves and it looks goofy. If Quads/Hams get too big and it distorts the correct silhouette for suiting.
post #50126 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1up View Post

Do you guys ever have a struggle between getting bigger from lifting weights and wearing fashionable clothes?

It's very possible to be aesthetic/bigger and look good in clothes, especially in respect to the upper body (tees, henleys, cutoffs look much better if you lift) but my struggles are usually related to suiting/button-downs and the lower body. Nowadays most fashionable jeans and dress shirts/suits are geared towards very slim builds. I'm not big by any means (5'10, 165), I'm very content with my physique and how clothes fit, but I'm always deterrred to get bigger for that reason.

If arms are too big shirts and suits get too tight in the sleeves and it looks goofy. If Quads/Hams get too big and it distorts the correct silhouette for suiting.

A good tailor is your best friend. Suit arms and legs can be let out easily. Not too expensive either. I'm the same height and weight as you are and a 42 with tailoring is great.
post #50127 of 57260
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1up View Post

Do you guys ever have a struggle between getting bigger from lifting weights and wearing fashionable clothes?

It's very possible to be aesthetic/bigger and look good in clothes, especially in respect to the upper body (tees, henleys, cutoffs look much better if you lift) but my struggles are usually related to suiting/button-downs and the lower body. Nowadays most fashionable jeans and dress shirts/suits are geared towards very slim builds. I'm not big by any means (5'10, 165), I'm very content with my physique and how clothes fit, but I'm always deterrred to get bigger for that reason.

If arms are too big shirts and suits get too tight in the sleeves and it looks goofy. If Quads/Hams get too big and it distorts the correct silhouette for suiting.

Obviously weights > clothes, but you just need a tailor. Ez pz.
post #50128 of 57260
Correct, but I should clarify. Not necessarily for the fitting of clothes, but for the aesthetic look.

Legs significantly thicker than upper body looks bizarre in suiting, but it is common in the lifting world.
post #50129 of 57260
Not a huge deal if you don't wear slim pants... opt for less taper and bigger opening.
post #50130 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1up View Post

Correct, but I should clarify. Not necessarily for the fitting of clothes, but for the aesthetic look.

Legs significantly thicker than upper body looks bizarre in suiting, but it is common in the lifting world.
I barely do legs anymore because of how horrible big legs are for pants. Total bro lifter now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts