Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3285

post #49261 of 57460
nice

brb going to take me 3 years of lifting to bench 225.
post #49262 of 57460
3 sets of 185x 5, then 195x5, then 205x4. Got the fifth up but the spotter helped a teeny bit.

Should be able to hit 225 soon.
post #49263 of 57460
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

3 sets of 185x 5, then 195x5, then 205x4. Got the fifth up but the spotter helped a teeny bit.

Should be able to hit 225 soon.
you'll have 225 before the end of the year.
post #49264 of 57460
Clearing that 225 hurdle is glorious. IDK about end of the year but if you focus on it it will def happen soon.
post #49265 of 57460
Before end of year is totally doable
post #49266 of 57460

I don't know if I can push that hard without a spotter at this moment. Or I could always end thing a rep early to be safe. 

 

My do flat bar 2x a week, once for tris (cgbp) and once for pecs (bb bench). I also do one workout using dumbbells for flat and incline where I focus on going higher rep ranges (10 reps per set) since setting up with heavy ass dbs is sketchy. The 90's were a bitch to set up with even though I could bench 100's at this point I bet. 

 

I have 2.5 weeks left in the year, realistically. I'd be up to do 2 flat bar bench sessions a week if someone's willing to help plan the scheme.

I guess 2.5 weeks would mean about 5 chest workouts. For my next workouts I might do:

 

-185x5, 3x 195x5 , 185x5

-185x5, 195x5, 205x5, 195x5, 185x5

-185x5, 195x5, 2x205x5, 195x5

-195x5, 3x 205x5, 195x5

-185x3, 195x3, 205x3, 225x5, 185x5

 

Does something like that make any sense?

 

I'm not interested in doing 225 for a 1RM. I could probably do that now. I want to get there on a triple at the very least, preferably with 5. 

 

@mrchariybrown @conceptionist  Input?

post #49267 of 57460
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

I don't know if I can push that hard without a spotter at this moment. Or I could always end thing a rep early to be safe. 

My do flat bar 2x a week, once for tris (cgbp) and once for pecs (bb bench). I also do one workout using dumbbells for flat and incline where I focus on going higher rep ranges (10 reps per set) since setting up with heavy ass dbs is sketchy. The 90's were a bitch to set up with even though I could bench 100's at this point I bet. 

I have 2.5 weeks left in the year, realistically. I'd be up to do 2 flat bar bench sessions a week if someone's willing to help plan the scheme.


I guess 2.5 weeks would mean about 5 chest workouts. For my next workouts I might do:

-185x5, 3x 195x5 , 185x5
-185x5, 195x5, 205x5, 195x5, 185x5
-185x5, 195x5, 2x205x5, 195x5
-195x5, 3x 205x5, 195x5
-185x3, 195x3, 205x3, 225x5, 185x5

Does something like that make any sense?

I'm not interested in doing 225 for a 1RM. I could probably do that now. I want to get there on a triple at the very least, preferably with 5. 

@mrchariybrown
 @conceptionist
  Input?

You will not be as strong as possible on day 5 if you are fatigued. So you need to make the last 2 sessions or so much lighter and less in volume. Its like peaking for a PL meet. The last week before the meet is very light. It is too late to build any decent amount of strength now. You will gain more by making sure that you are in as good shape as possible on day 5 when you want to set your new max.
I would to something like:

Session 3: triples up to a top set of 80% x 3
No backoff sets. No accessories at all.

Session 4 (2-3 days later): triples up to 70% x 3. Nothing else.

Session 5 (3-4 days later): triples up to 200 lbs. Then you try 225 x 5.
post #49268 of 57460
Forego science and training and all that shit.

Walk into the gym one day, throw on 225 and push it.

That's all it takes sometimes. Simple primal shit.
post #49269 of 57460
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Forego science and training and all that shit.

Walk into the gym one day, throw on 225 and push it.

That's all it takes sometimes. Simple primal shit.

I can see how one would like to think that this a more sound way to approach things, but no really successful person in any field has ever got where to they are by doing it like that. For some unexplainable reason it seems like in the BB and strength world, personal experimentation and "it works for me" is often valued higher than proven plans and real expertise, or even coaching. I can't think of any other sport on a serious level where this is the case.
post #49270 of 57460
The blasty blast begins today, standard high tren low test as per usual but with tren enth instead of ace because pinning every day is shit. Quad is healed, hit an 180kg squat full asian squat mode. Goal is to bench 130-140kg, at about 120 right now.
post #49271 of 57460
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

The blasty blast begins today, standard high tren low test as per usual but with tren enth instead of ace because pinning every day is shit. Quad is healed, hit an 180kg squat full asian squat mode. Goal is to bench 130-140kg, at about 120 right now.

 

3 plate bench is pretty massive. Legitimately strong at that point.

Best case scenario I'll be there in something like 2 years, ha.

post #49272 of 57460
It's probably quite ambitious, around 130kg is more realistic I think, but my christmas break started so all I have to do is eat and lift.
post #49273 of 57460
Is there such a thing as lifting too many days a week?

Honestly my progress has been pretty good since i started supplementing more whey a day (40-60g instead of only 20post wo). I can probably gym 5-6 days a week most weeks and i enjoy it, but im not sure what I'm doing now would lend itself to that much time or repetition without risking overuse.

Side note: did 5x5 with 145 for the hex bar ish last night. No pain this morning. Maybe ill try front squats again in a few months, but this is huge for me. Hoping to work up to 5x10 at this weight to keep progress going and limit injury risk.
post #49274 of 57460
I'm going to Miami in 6 weeks and want to be swole for da beach.
post #49275 of 57460
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Is there such a thing as lifting too many days a week?

 

I don't think there is.

 Balance frequency, volume and intensity right and you can lift every day with good results.

 

I assume that you mean higher frequency and volume, since you it would not make sense to decrease the frequency or volume or to make a sudden increase in intensity.

 

Example on how to make the switch:

If you are gonna hit a muscle more times per week, start by dividing up the volume for the whole week, so 2 sessions of 15 sets each is 30 sets per week. You then spread this over 3 sessions. Your frequency has increases from 2 to 3 sessions but your volume is the same. The weights you hit in each session should also be roughly the same at the start. From there, you can increase the volume of each session (or only 1 or 2 of the 3 sessions) so you get a higher weekly volume. Increase slowly. You can expect a rough start but you will likely get better results long term.

 

However, the marginal benefit of an extra session or more volume decrease the higher you go.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts