or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3274

post #49096 of 57266
Talked to head of admissions for a masters in statistics at lse. Said they'll make me an offer contingent on my maths grade this year being a 2.1 which is like the UK equivalent of a B. If I do it ill take courses in stochastic process, stochastic calculus and analysis, signal processing, machine learning, probability theory and algorithms and computing in java. I think that should be enough for a nice quant job or even a tech firm like google.
post #49097 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

Nah, I like maths, more fun then filling out spread sheets and powerpoint presentations and if im good ill make more money.

Flatmate has reported me to my uni about steroid use. Luckily they are legal in the UK and the university already knew about them. That's how I got this job actually, I got called into to talk to the person who handles my disability stuff and she agreed my flat mate is a cunt and said they're not doing anything about it and even if she reports it to my landlord its all legal in the uk anyway and then asked if i'd like to teach. She also called my psychiatrist pretending to be my mum, which is a bit creepy.



Yohji thread in SW&D is absolutely hilarious right now. Like the last 3-4 pages or so.

Spreadsheets are awesome and powerpoint presentations practically make themselves once you move up to VP foo.gif
post #49098 of 57266

About to hand in the research proposal for my masters thesis which I will begin writing in january.

How the hell am I supposed to know what is already researched?

Every time I come up with an interesting subject or new way of testing a model/testing a model in a new context, I later find out that it has already been studied.

post #49099 of 57266
http://scholar.google.com/


whats the subject?
post #49100 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb0bo View Post

http://scholar.google.com/


whats the subject?

 

Well, yes. My uni has its own search base too. 

I've probably just had the wrong approach to it. I've been coming up with subjects, and then checking if they're already studied, whereas I would likely be better off doing a ton of research first on what is already studied and then position my thesis in relation to that.

 

I'm in marketing but in the broad sense, so it covers e-commerce, m-commerce, (mobile) retailing, brands, market intelligence, consumer culture, consumer behavior, etc...

 

My first thought was to study the demographics and psychographics that determine acceptance towards mobile shopping, but a study was published on that only a year ago.

Have some other thought but I need to have decided by friday. Procrastination habits...

post #49101 of 57266
random health and exercise and academia and careers and sloots and food and occasional, but less then circa 2013 calling each other out thoughts.
post #49102 of 57266

Lit searches are your friend.

post #49103 of 57266
Took my PT test today.

82 pushups (1 minute)
71 situps (1 minute)
9:25 1.5 mile run

Not good enough for a 100, unfortunately.
post #49104 of 57266

I think the problem is solved now...

Just looked at the sections "Future research", lol.

post #49105 of 57266
Why does all deadlift programs i google involve pretty much no deadlifts but alot of accessory work, like pull ups?
post #49106 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb0bo View Post

Why does all deadlift programs i google involve pretty much no deadlifts but alot of accessory work, like pull ups?

I may be wrong here but I guess that you are looking at american programs or websites.

 

American strength training tends to stress the importance of accessory work and getting strong muscles that are working in the same lift, since powerlifting in US share its culture with bodybuilding. If you look at European, Russian or Asian programs, you will most likely find a more focus on the lift itself or variations of it, since PL have more in common with olympic weightlifting here. By the same reasoning, you will find that most low frequency and split programs for strength and powerlifting training come from the US.

 

I personally think you should focus in your deadlift or variations of it that target your weakness in the lift if you want to get good at deadlifting, but still do some lighter accessory work to build the muscles of the lift. I doubt pull ups will have any carrover though. Good accessories are more likely bent over rows, good mornings, stiff leg deadlifts and front squats, and the primary drivers of your deadlift are deadlifts, deadlifts from boxes, deadlifts on boxes, deadlifts with pause at the knee, etc...

post #49107 of 57266
Guys,

Got both a 315 bench and a 1300 total today.

smile.gif
post #49108 of 57266
Oh yea? What meet?
post #49109 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown View Post

Oh yea? What meet?

I wish I could dislike. frown.gif


On that note was looking at meets in January before I need to start cutting and saw a lot of them have strict curls as an event? WTF?
post #49110 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

Nah, I like maths, more fun then filling out spread sheets and powerpoint presentations and if im good ill make more money.

Flatmate has reported me to my uni about steroid use. Luckily they are legal in the UK and the university already knew about them. That's how I got this job actually, I got called into to talk to the person who handles my disability stuff and she agreed my flat mate is a cunt and said they're not doing anything about it and even if she reports it to my landlord its all legal in the uk anyway and then asked if i'd like to teach. She also called my psychiatrist pretending to be my mum, which is a bit creepy.



Yohji thread in SW&D is absolutely hilarious right now. Like the last 3-4 pages or so.

WTF?! What did you do to piss her off or she's just jelly of your gainz?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post

Guys,

Got both a 315 bench and a 1300 total today.

smile.gif

That's fucking awesome! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts